Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by LordBob »

As far as I understand, the height of the portrait is a problem. Pictures can have 400 pixels as maximum height, which the pikeman already has.
Lengthening the pike is an easy job, but I'm reluctant when it comes to having one portrait in a scale different to others. Should I give the handle real pike proportions (10 to 20 feet :roll: ), the pikeman'll be dwarfed by his weapon.

Hence my choice of a shorter hast weapon, but it does lack an impressive blade. I'll try and replace the blade with spontoon-like one, and fiddle with the handle, but don't expect too much on this one.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The blobs are studs, right?

As regards the pike: the humans ought to be about the same height within the 400px square, but there's space reserved up to 500x500 px in the GUI, specifically to allow space for bigger units like trolls and woses, and to allow space for longer weapons like spears and pikes. So feel free to extend it out to that limit. And you are allowed to use a different cropping for the smaller version, in order to have it fit =)

But it looks fantastic at present, so change it or not, I really look forward to the finished product. Awesome work =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Lord.Bedham

Post by Lord.Bedham »

Looks very good allready!
But hopefully you wont give him a pointed beard again! :lol2:
The Helmet dont realy match the sprite i sarched for some others whitch could be better
for most of the Wesnoth Loyalists.
Here are some special Kettlehats.

ImageImage

And some Sallets (Schaller on german)
ImageImageImage
I gonna club you in`da face
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

As long as there IS a helmet, matching the sprite exactly isn't wildly important. It doesn't really matter ;)
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

though I usually enjoy the liberty our artist take, the stupid "over the eyes with holes" type of helmet of the pikeman is a very distinctive feature, much more than the pike itself...

moreover, it's probably fun to draw, so it would be nice to have it
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

I find the pose nice, the spike or spear doesn't bother me at all, on the other hand, the fact he has nearly no armor seems odd to me, since the spearman is more protected than his level 2 evolution.
Well this said, the motif on the clothes are nice...

Good job! Good luck!
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Lord.Bedham

Post by Lord.Bedham »

Cernunnos wrote:Hi,

I find the pose nice, the spike or spear doesn't bother me at all, on the other hand, the fact he has nearly no armor seems odd to me, since the spearman is more protected than his level 2 evolution.
Well this said, the motif on the clothes are nice...

Good job! Good luck!
No, he matches realy good to the body armor. The plate armor goes to the elbow like on the sprite. He has no Breastplate but a long collar armor. and the other part of the torso looks like a brigantine. That is like that what the spearman has, only better. Bigger plates and with thick cloth covert. Thats realy good, and a typical armor for an 14 jh Hellebardier.
For Example: Image
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

As far as helmets go, it seems to me that the pikeman sprite has the same kind of helmet as the swordsman, plus the royal guard's and halberdier's aren't so different. While I do like what Lord.Beham proposes, I can't end up giving one of these to every loyalist I draw. :roll: One of the three lower models is already planned for the Halberdier, so I'd like to keep the pikeman a little different. :wink:

Regarding armour, I'm with Bedham. While not as much an armored can as the sprite suggest, he is still better-equipped than the spearman and I'd like the haberdier to really look heavier, hence my restrainng form full-plate yet. :)

The armour is studded leather indeed, but I reckon the rarity of the studds don't give it a tough look. I'll see what I can do.

Last but not least, the opportunity of a 500 pixels height really saves my life ! That's a good news, thanks TSI :D
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

nice! i just like him :) his lack of eyes confuses me but i'm sure you'll solve that beautifully, too ;)

i think a longer spear could be nice but it's nothing that warrants a longer discussion - it's up to you. remember longer props etc. can extend 100 px higher and 100 px more to the right than the baseframe.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Been working a little on the pikeman & halberdier tonight.

The pikeman will be 500*500 in the end. He now has a longer pike, with a spontoon-like blade which I hope is more impressive. Additional studds on the chest leather ought to improve the armour, and, last but definitely not least, he finally grew a square beard. :mrgreen: I'll start the shading now.

I'm also posting a rough of the halberdier for a check of the pose and proportions. Next step will see the linework cleaned.
Attachments
human-pikeman.png
human-pikeman.png (39.72 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
human-halberdier.png
human-halberdier.png (45.82 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Oh, I LOVE that Halberdier. It really suits a unit as badass as him. Pikeman looks great too. Nice work.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I'm a huge fan of your armor dudes, they look really cool!

You also seem to have a trained eye for metal reflections, I'm eager to see the finished Halberdier :mrgreen:
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Lord.Bedham

Post by Lord.Bedham »

Great Hellebardier! Nice Helmit to! :mrgreen:
and maga you give the pikeman a square beard. The Helmet is the same, and looks not so good to me, but still very good potraits. Thumb up!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I Agree 100%, that's a badass armor you got there on the halberdier. 8)

I'm glad you found a use for my discovery of the spontoon, it will also be interesting to see how the studs turn out.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Both sketches are impressive. Especially the halberdier. It's amazing that you can draw a quick sketch so simple and expressive at the same time. I didn't comment your previous works so far but I would only repeat the words of admiration after the others. I'm too inexperienced to criticize the good artist.