Imperial Era Campaign: Alfhelm the Wise

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

turin wrote: I figured out the boatsman-switch thing, it basically had to do with confused unit types. The fix will be in the next version, as will the fix for the wildfire thing.
Ehm, sorry, but now (BfW 1.3.14, Alfhelm 0.3.2) Alfhelm doesn't swich back to Marauder Lord after "Fizziling Torch".
I looked through the wml which should change him back but to Marauder lord (last bit of code in Fizzling torch), but couldn't find the problem.
It is not much of a problem for the rest of Part II, but gets a big one for Part III.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

That's... odd. :? I looked at the code and can't see any real explanation. I'll play through the campaign to that point and see if it happens for me.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

turin wrote:That's... odd. :? I looked at the code and can't see any real explanation. I'll play through the campaign to that point and see if it happens for me.
It's odd indeed. A save game is attached; hope this helps...
Attachments
A_Fizzling_Torch-Auto-Save11.gz
(42.85 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Try deleting the lines

Code: Select all

[variable]
				equals="no"
				name="alfisfire"
			[/variable]
(from savefile if you want to continue w/ that save, or from the scenario file if you don't mine replaying it)

I haven't tested it, but I strongly suspect those are the problem-causing lines.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

turin wrote:Try deleting the lines

[variable]
				equals="no"
				name="alfisfire"
			[/variable]
Deleted it from the fizzling torch.cfg and replayed starting with "The Siege Begins".
Same result:
Fizzling Torch: Alfhelm/Lord becomes a Alfhelm/Sea Wolf
Betrayal: Alfhelm is still a Sea Wolf

Thanks all the same
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, I'm out of ideas. :? Until I get that bug worked out, you can always edit your save file manually and change his type from "Marauder Sea Wolf" to "Alfhelm Lord".
The World of Orbivm
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

turin wrote:Well, I'm out of ideas. :? Until I get that bug worked out, you can always edit your save file manually and change his type from "Marauder Sea Wolf" to "Alfhelm Lord".
Ok, I hacked the save file. As soon as I'll have played through the rest of the campaign (PART III), I'll give you some more feed back.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Imperial Era Campaign: Alfhelm the Wise

Post by turin »

(The above bug has been fixed, fyi.)

Alfhelm the Wise 0.4

I have fog-ified this campaign. Basically, every scenario has fog-of-war on it. Pretty much all the dialogue had to be rewritten for this to happen, by the way.

This is a dev-version only release; it's just too much work to try to keep the WML up to date for both.
The World of Orbivm
tillea

Imperial Era Campaign: Alfhelm the Wise - Error in Wesnoth 1

Post by tillea »

Hi,

I tried Alfhelm with Wesnoth 1.5.6 which worked nicely through several scenarios
but finally I stumbled upon a problem. When you press "End turn" after loading the
attached savegame you get the following output on the console:

Invalid WML found: Usage of 'advanceto' is deprecated; support for this will be removed in 1.5.6. (use 'advances_to' instead) (100)
20081222 15:30:46 error engine: unit of type  not found!
20081222 15:30:46 error general: Error while playing the game: game_error: Unknown unit type '' while generating traits
Kind regards

Andreas.
Attachments
AtW-Ceresia_Turn_1x.gz
Just load this savegame and press "End turn" to reproduce the crash.
(30.47 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Gah... I really dislike how much maintenance I've had to put into this scenario.
The World of Orbivm
Civhai

Post by Civhai »

I only finished the first part, but everything worked so far. Great campaign! I really like the imperial era.

However, I looked at the WML (to find out if it makes sense to send units away...^^) However, I found this:

[event]
        name=sighted
        [filter]
            #whenever 1 (Alf) sees 2 (Harn) or 2 sees 1
            side=2
        [/filter]
        #player 2 now joins player 1
        [store_unit]
            [filter]
                side=2
            [/filter]
            variable=switchside
        [/store_unit]
        {FOREACH switchside X}
        [set_variable]
            name=switchside[$X].side
            value=1
        [/set_variable]
        [set_variable]
            name=switchside[$X].canrecruit
            value=0
        [/set_variable]
        [set_variable]
            name=switchside[$X].experience
            add=10
        [/set_variable]
        [unstore_unit]
            variable=switchside[$X]
        [/unstore_unit]
        {NEXT X}
        [clear_variable]
            name=switchside
        [/clear_variable]
        [redraw]
        [/redraw]
        #the dialogue
        # ......
        #.......

#the villages should switch too - any way to do this?
    [/event]
I looked through the macros recently and then I found this:

TRANSFER_VILLAGE_OWNERSHIP FROM_SIDE TO_SIDE
# Transfers ownership of all villages of one side to another side. Useful
# when you're for example moving all units of some side to another, and want
# to transfer the village ownership as well.

Should be just what you want. By the way, I think the side changing of the units could be done with a macro too:
{MODIFY_UNIT side=2 canrecruit 0}
{MODIFY_UNIT side=2 side 1}
But I don't know if that makes sense, because then, the experience adding still has to be done otherways, so it doesn't really get shorter.
Working on the Era of Ilthan
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thanks! I've fixed this in my local copy and it'll be in the next version of AtW I release.
The World of Orbivm
ramses66

Post by ramses66 »

Is Alfhelm supposed to not level up? (There seem to be two warrior types, Alfhelm is the one that doesn't seem to have an upgrade tree.)
I'm assuming this is the intended behaviour, related to the story.

Also, in the first scenario WML errors (*) kept popping up on the screen during the enemy's turn about how he couldn't recruit scouts. Annoying since they kept obscuring the screen so I could barely see when he attacked my troops.

* " <Invalid WML found> On difficulty level EASY trying to recruit scouts but no unit of that type (usage=) is available." etc
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

ramses66 wrote:Is Alfhelm supposed to not level up? (There seem to be two warrior types, Alfhelm is the one that doesn't seem to have an upgrade tree.)
I'm assuming this is the intended behaviour, related to the story.
Hm... he's supposed to be able to level up, he just has a different tree and gfx than the standard Warrior... I'll look into this. I have no idea why it would be like that. :?
ramses66 wrote:Also, in the first scenario WML errors (*) kept popping up on the screen during the enemy's turn about how he couldn't recruit scouts. Annoying since they kept obscuring the screen so I could barely see when he attacked my troops.

* " <Invalid WML found> On difficulty level EASY trying to recruit scouts but no unit of that type (usage=) is available." etc
OK, I think I know what's causing this. Easy enough to fix.
The World of Orbivm
ramses66

Post by ramses66 »

I'll just manually level him up then for now.

Also, several attack animations seem to be missing, the png files being linked to don't exist in the Imperial Era images folder. One example is the image "units/human-marauders/warrior-attack.png" Alfhelm himself should be using (twice) according to Alfhelm_Warrior.cfg. Looks like he should be using "warrior-sword-1.png" and "warrior-sword-2.png" instead?