In which campaigns/scenarios do I find randomness?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rocco

In which campaigns/scenarios do I find randomness?

Post by Rocco »

After a long absence, I'm finally back to Wesnoth. I last played version 1.0.2 and what kept me away from Wesnoth to some extent was that I did not find enough randomness in the game.

Let me explain: Since I come from the RPG, to be more specific rogue-like corner, I would like to ask if some of you might give me directions to this or that campaign where luck is also a major factor in the development of my heros (random item drops etc.). Random enemies (to some extent) wouldn't hurt either.

If anyone could give me some directions to campaigns where some portion of randomness is involved, I would be very glad.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Last edited by kshinji on November 9th, 2010, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If you are looking for it as an RPG then your are probably not going to get anywhere. I suppose under the burning sun has some RPG aspects but wesnoth dose not realy do that sort of thing for campains much.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Rocco

Re: In which campaigns/scenarios do I find randomness?

Post by Rocco »

Anything new to report on this frontier? :)
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Rocco wrote:Anything new to report on this frontier? :)
Play Dark Forecast
UTBS might get redesigned http://wesnoth.dbzer0.com/blog/2008/06/ ... e-or-two-i
have a look at Wesband I think it's random, not sure though
Hall of Lame
random topics are risen from the grave :wink:
I don't know of much else, random is hard to balance

Make your damn location shorter, it beaks the layout :evil: :evil:
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Necromancy is frowned upon, especially after a year and a half... I did not delete your post because Lizard provided you with an answer, but spend some time looking over the Scenario & Campaign Development forum to answer your own questions.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Thx Lizard and Turuk.
Well, especially after one year and a half I felt the need to ask for updates on this issue. I thought in this case it would be the far better option not to post a new thread on the same topic, but to revitalize my old question. I did not look at it as a proper example of necromancy since it seemed logical to me. So I asked good ole google and was enlighted by wikipedia:
The acceptable practice is usually to start a new thread and link to the old thread so that readers can become familiar with the background information.
I will keep that in mind.
Wesband seems to be still in development as some key concerns need to be adressed. ATM I'm reading on Dark Forecast.
Maybe there are still further recommendations?
TL

Post by TL »

Random Conquest is, coincidentally enough, a campaign with a considerable amount of randomness. It's designed for 2p online play, however, so you'd need a friend to play it (plus it's very much oriented towards strategy-level army building rather than RPG-level character building); I guess you could technically try it against the AI, but since it's balanced under the assumption you're playing against an intelligent human it would be soul-numbingly easy (particularly since the AI would never bother picking up any bonus spaces, except maybe by accident).

I'm with you, though. I find standard head-to-head MP to be unpredictable enough to be interesting, but playing vs. the AI gets boring really fast for me.