Necromancer (14 scenarios, all complete and playable)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Orcish Shyde

Necromancer (14 scenarios, all complete and playable)

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Recall when I posted those two ideas I was too lazy to do anything about?

Apparently I wasn't. I had to iron out a lot of bugs caused by coding while badly hung over, but I can now offer the newly titled 'Necromancer' to the 1.4 server.
Sadly the 1 scenario isn't polished, and I can't remember whose Peasant Child graphics I stole and then edited slightly to make a female version. (They will at some point soon undergo further editing to make the male and female versions look a bit more different to eachother, but that's in the future, this is now.)
The plot outline so far is, a necromancer used her powers to protect and help a town, until one day elves attacked; when they fled, she pursued, the reason why is clear if you complete the first scenario.
Last edited by Orcish Shyde on January 24th, 2009, 1:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
jani

Re: Subversive newb campaign: Necromancer (1 scenario so far)

Post by jani »

sorry wont work before you can even start game comes and errorn unknow scenario elf_raid
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

I don't know what the error is, as it worked fine for me before publication. Scenario 2 doesn't work but that's not a bug, it's not done yet.

Nevertheless, republished a working version.

Minor things that I'd like someone more versed to look over:
- Why the animations for the peasant children don't work
- How to override normal team colour so Leanna's TC areas are black. 'Cause it looks cooler that way.

EDIT: And another version is coming up soonish, as I messed up the code for winning scenario 1 by defeating Isorfil.
Necromancer (campaign)

Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Hmm... I played the first scenario and I thought it was quite easy when I played on hard. I even let the outriders attack me from my own villages etc. On turn 16 I 'killed' the outrider and it escaped to a village with -1 hp & poison... My units very too slow to reach him on time and when I ended turn, the Wesnoth crashed. I started from save and game crashed again when ending turn on turn 16... so...

Overall a good scenario but terrain was a little boring. The forest could have some great trees and grassland some savanna and flowers.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Spot the key words "newb campaign". Wesnoth has yet to get a campaign for new players who like playing as the (traditional) bad guys. Also, you're clearly better than me at Wesnoth if you cleared it on Hard first time.

There's a reason why Wesnoth is crashing - I didn't write enough of the next scenario to stop it. This is fixed now, as is Isorfil not dying properly when killed.

Will take terrain boringness into account and probably just dot some scenery here and there, as you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to play and criticise though!
Necromancer (campaign)

Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Orcish Shyde wrote:Spot the key words "newb campaign". Wesnoth has yet to get a campaign for new players who like playing as the (traditional) bad guys. Also, you're clearly better than me at Wesnoth if you cleared it on Hard first time.
Well, a player ,who haven't read this topic, downloads this campaign, starts it and selects difficulty... He thinks that he is such a pro so he selected last one on the list, then he plays and yawns... too easy :/ So, for newb campaign, I'd suggest newb difficulty levels: very easy, easy and normal, instead of adept, sorceress and necromancer...
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Jequ wrote:
Orcish Shyde wrote:Spot the key words "newb campaign". Wesnoth has yet to get a campaign for new players who like playing as the (traditional) bad guys. Also, you're clearly better than me at Wesnoth if you cleared it on Hard first time.
Well, a player ,who haven't read this topic, downloads this campaign, starts it and selects difficulty... He thinks that he is such a pro so he selected last one on the list, then he plays and yawns... too easy :/ So, for newb campaign, I'd suggest newb difficulty levels: very easy, easy and normal, instead of adept, sorceress and necromancer...
...Not that newb. I was aiming more for Easy/Normal/Challenging, on the basis that The South Guard was about challenging enough to be fun when replayed on Hard. Thing is, I can't easily add more difficulty to the level without elf spam (not fun) or Woses (not fast, and you're meant to fail to catch up with these people as a plot point).
The "Adept/Sorceress/Necromancer" difficulty settings was to indicate that I've yet to balance it to particular difficulty levels.
Rest assured you face outlaws and a Silver Mage in level 2, so less mockery is made of the enemy's weapons.

You want hard, go play my other, insane, totally unbalanced and highly dangerous campaign "Shameless Crossover Excuse". Or I could just plug these things in my sig. xD
Necromancer (campaign)

jani

Post by jani »

firt scenario was pretty good when i first looked at the enemys gold i was like WHAT THE ****
but then i realized hey this aint so hard after all. so for now on looks pretty good for me but could you make so that leanna would evolve at lvl 4 or 5 coz i really hate that when leader is only lvl 3 :S
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Orcish Shyde wrote:
Jequ wrote: Well, a player ,who haven't read this topic, downloads this campaign, starts it and selects difficulty... He thinks that he is such a pro so he selected last one on the list, then he plays and yawns... too easy :/ So, for newb campaign, I'd suggest newb difficulty levels: very easy, easy and normal, instead of adept, sorceress and necromancer...
...Not that newb. I was aiming more for Easy/Normal/Challenging, on the basis that The South Guard was about challenging enough to be fun when replayed on Hard. Thing is, I can't easily add more difficulty to the level without elf spam (not fun) or Woses (not fast, and you're meant to fail to catch up with these people as a plot point).
The "Adept/Sorceress/Necromancer" difficulty settings was to indicate that I've yet to balance it to particular difficulty levels.
Rest assured you face outlaws and a Silver Mage in level 2, so less mockery is made of the enemy's weapons.

You want hard, go play my other, insane, totally unbalanced and highly dangerous campaign "Shameless Crossover Excuse". Or I could just plug these things in my sig. xD

This can be dealt with also by slipping a bit of text into the description that pops up when selecting the campaign from the campaign menu.

"NOTE: This campaign is intended for new players, and as such, may not be as hard as regular players are used to. However, regular players can play this campaign on (Hard/Challenging/Difficult/Whatever) in order to have a bit of a challenge."
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Hmm... I attempted to play that hard, of course, and those gryphons killed all of my skeles (huge blade resist :/)... Ok, that was a bit off-topic...

Well... I think the current hard difficulty is hard enough to be challanging :)
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

jani wrote:firt scenario was pretty good when i first looked at the enemys gold i was like WHAT THE ****
but then i realized hey this aint so hard after all. so for now on looks pretty good for me but could you make so that leanna would evolve at lvl 4 or 5 coz i really hate that when leader is "only" lvl 3 :S
Way ahead of you. Play in Debug Mode and you'll know what I mean. I myself like having level 3 leaders, and I argued in the thread for Trolls! against having only a level 2(!) leader, but I felt it wouldn't be right for a decent length campaign to only let you level up your leader once.
(That and I had an idea for a level 4 non-lich necromancer in my head anyway x3)

Messed with the difficulties a bit. Normal now feels just right on the first level - intense, you lose lots of troops whatever you do, but not really hard. What I can't think of is any specific bonus to give those heroic players who *gasp* keep Sergeant Detritus alive; all he does is fulfil a dialogue function telling Leanna that her son's been kidnapped and I programmed it so one of the (surviving) children tells you that if he's dead.

Of course, the fury and guilt I felt at the sight of big scary Elvish Riders attacking little kids with little knives was sated with laughter by the sight of big scary Elvish Riders being killed by little kids with little knives.

Hard, meanwhile, has in fact been made hard - bye-bye skeleton guards at the edge of town!

Will release the version that has this just as soon as I've put in a death macro for Leanna.
Necromancer (campaign)

TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

While I disagree with your interpretation of necromancy as not being an inherrently dark art, I'm glad you took the time to put your idea into practice. I look forward to having a new campaing to play when I get home. And one I should be able to beat, too. :D
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
jani

Post by jani »

heh i kept detritus alive and infact evolved him coz he can be real kill machine when lvl 4.
Are you really gona make that level 4 non-lich necromancer? coz that would be really cool.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

I already have made the level 4 necromancer - it's just that only Leanna can level into it.

Also: 0.2.0 is out, with the following changes:
- Walking Corpses now have a level 2 "Reborn"; this intentionally doesn't apply to WCs resulting from plague attacks, both because that's harder to code and because it would be too easy IMHO.
- Scenario 2 "Consectatio Interruptus" (Interrupted Pursuit in dog latin) is now fully working.
- Detritus now gives you 75 gold if he isn't dead at the end of Elvish Raid; this is intended to go down to 60 as a result of taxes.
- You get guards at the north wall again on "Hard" but they're Walking Corpses, not Skeletons. I felt it wasn't possible if you didn't have something for the enemy to kill stationed up there.

For some reason the attack animations for the Reborn don't work; I have a bad record with attack animation coding, so if anyone else could check and spot the bug before I do I'd be grateful.
Necromancer (campaign)

Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Subversive newb campaign: Necromancer (2 scenarios done)

Post by Sleepwalker »

I downloaded this campaign and I'm gonna try it out soon. I took a look at the unit files animation. Both the child and reborn units have typo's in the directory path for the animation images. Also, when filtering for the child's attack you put a [filter] there instead of a [attack_filter]. Fix that and it will work.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon