Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkeleRanger

Re: Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Post by SkeleRanger »

AI wrote:Run it on core AND httt and you shouldn't see any messages. How is wmllint supposed to know a unit called "Orcish Assassin" exists if you don't tell it where to find it?
That would explain it.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

-in 02_The_Plan.cfg, you call for a macro {EVENING}, where's the definition ? (no custom macro and not in schedules.cfg in the core)
-Battle_Prince.cfg has wrong id (and i thought Arand is meant to not being able to advance, and thus didn't put any effort on advancing him...)

in 17_Battle_For_The_Swamps.cfg, don't kill Konrad and Li'sar, then you can just recall them in 18_Orcish_Supremacy.cfg, with x,y as arguments in the recall tag (if that is what you want to do)
also, in 18_Orcish_Supremacy.cfg, you still have to take into account the possibility that the undeads kill the orcish leader; in that case the orcish leader would still become allied with the player, judging from your current code, and the game wouldn`t end (with loss)
i haven't playtested this, though
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

So if this campaign is the new variant of Life of a Mage... That one got an update adding a unit with a space in the name, breaking translation scripts.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

@Torangan: In response to both this and your old thread. Sorry, I fixed a glitch in 1.4 and didn't think about changing the name. Fixed now. Same with the name thingy. I'll upload as soon as possible.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Latest upload. Mages advancing and kids escaping bugs have been fixed and seem to work fine. I haven't tested the rest of the campaign yet and will have to play it through before I can add anything new. Please tell me if you find any more bugs.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I suggest to eliminate all problems reported by wmllint now before continuing, my log file still has about 100 lines for your campaign.

(I usually do this manually, a lot of work, but you learn at most this way. It's probably best to run wmllint frequently since starting the campaign and to keep reported problems always at zero.)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Anonymissimus wrote:I suggest to eliminate all problems reported by wmllint now before continuing, my log file still has about 100 lines for your campaign.

(I usually do this manually, a lot of work, but you learn at most this way. It's probably best to run wmllint frequently since starting the campaign and to keep reported problems always at zero.)
Are you running it on the core unit files like AI said? Most of the messages were unknown unit. There were only five or six problems reported, which I fixed.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

yes, here are some example messages (campaign version 0.7.5)

_main.cfg", line 10: abbrev needs translation mark
02_The_Plan.cfg", line 36: unknown 'Lhyron' referred to by id
10-1_A_Royal_Greeting.cfg", line 118: quote-enclosing attribute value.
Battle_Princess.cfg, line 34: name=sabre -> name=saber
Battle_Princess.cfg, line 36: icon=attacks/sabre-human.png -> icon=attacks/saber-human.png
Peasant_Child.cfg", line 40: unit_description should not have a translation mark
utils.cfg", line 322: translatability mark before non-string
18_Orcish_Supremacy.cfg", line 35: Orcish Bowman is not a known unit type (indeed!)
Prince.cfg", line 24: Prince has unknown advancements ['Battle Prince']
projects (BfW 1.12):
Reval

Post by Reval »

18_Orcish_Supremacy crashes when the enemy leader starts recruting units which is probably due to the fact that there are no Orcish Bowman (as called in the cfg) but just Orcish Archers.
To bad that it ends with scenario 18 - I just used Eruurk to level Dillon up to level 4 since there is no round limit. By round 105 I also had 4400 Gold and some other nice level 3 units.
For some reason, the Undead leader appeared but did not get a camp. Maybe because a unit of mine was standing quite close to him when he appeared?
I think the scenario has a little to many completly overpowered units - especially the royals and Dillon. That makes the overrun of Weldyn quite unbelivable, Li'sar would have kicked Karims as, especially as we are told that he went straigth to the royal family.
On the other hand, I have my doubts that there is enough opportunity to level the royal children and the three comanders up to a level where you can actually use them so late in the game.
What I also did not like that some leveling uo at the very begining was forgotten in the next scenario and when Dillon leveled up the first time, he lost is icestone capabilities.
What I also don't get: Why was Karim an Assasin at the beginning and not a powerfull necromancer?
And: If you finish 07_Old_Enemies by killing Salin, you can recruit the remaining children in the next scenario. I found it kinda cool, but contrary to the unit discription, the unit can't be leveled beyond level 1.
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

:lol:

even more work stuffed into skele's throat :lol:
the best place to level dillon is the scenario in the cave with the cages...when i was playing on hard the last time Dillon got almost his first AMLA there, and there isn't any limit, too
yes, the campaign is in development and needs balancing but this is a minor problem
projects (BfW 1.12):
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Reval wrote:18_Orcish_Supremacy crashes when the enemy leader starts recruting units which is probably due to the fact that there are no Orcish Bowman (as called in the cfg) but just Orcish Archers.
Whoops
Reval wrote:For some reason, the Undead leader appeared but did not get a camp. Maybe because a unit of mine was standing quite close to him when he appeared?
Nah, that's just a wml glitch. Scenario 18 needs to be seriously redone.
Reval wrote:I think the scenario has a little to many completly overpowered units - especially the royals and Dillon. That makes the overrun of Weldyn quite unbelivable, Li'sar would have kicked Karims as, especially as we are told that he went straigth to the royal family.
Well, Karin had been building up his empire for years, and he took Weldyn by suprise. Also Lis'ar is not invincible. I mess with her ai and movement points in A_Daring_Rescue because she kept getting killed when she would take on five level 2 units at once. But yeah I still need to balance OS better.
Reval wrote:On the other hand, I have my doubts that there is enough opportunity to level the royal children and the three comanders up to a level where you can actually use them so late in the game.
Good point. I think considering people leveled Dillon from a peasant child to a royal guard in the first battle scenario we shouldn't have a problem. Only the best players can get the princelings to their full potential. On the other hand the commanders I really only put in their so the fighter-commander-lord set was complete and had a female counterpart. Sorry, OCD. Maybe I need to just chuck them.
Reval wrote:when Dillon leveled up the first time, he lost is icestone capabilities.
That's because he gives the Icestone to Slinian. After he gets it back he hides it for several years. It does help to read the story.
Reval wrote:What I also don't get: Why was Karim an Assasin at the beginning and not a powerfull necromancer?
Um, he has a hobby?

No really, he's banished for necromancy but he doesn't get really good at it until he spends several years in a spectral state. (he who must not be named :P )
Reval wrote:And: If you finish 07_Old_Enemies by killing Salin, you can recruit the remaining children in the next scenario. I found it kinda cool, but contrary to the unit discription, the unit can't be leveled beyond level 1.
:shock: Uh oh. I better fix that before something bad happens.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 31#p316702

Yeah, if the upgrade they won't disappear when they move to the escape point, so I created a mod that doesn't advance. And thanks to 1.5's awesome new wml, the mod doesn't show up in the description. :D
Anonymissimus wrote::lol:

even more work stuffed into skele's throat :lol:
:) Not much I can say to that.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

SkeleRanger wrote:Also Lis'ar is not invincible. I mess with her ai and movement points in A_Daring_Rescue because she kept getting killed when she would take on five level 2 units at once.
i've been playing around with all sensible ai settings here from the ones in the reference wml, attributes that may make the ai play more carefully with Li'sar, like high caution and less agression...it's useless, i believe the reason is her scepter of fire-attack which has too much damage
when the ai starts its turn it notices that Li'sar has a high probability of killing orcish crossbowmen and attacks them instead of orcish warriors (less likely to kill them but no counter damage) as its first action, while a human player would retreat Li'sar as his first action...
maybe permanently set Li'sars movement points to 1 in this scenario ("dialog: her legs have been wounded by the fight")
projects (BfW 1.12):
taemyr

Re: Campaign: Tale of a Mage, spelling issue.

Post by taemyr »

Undead hoard

While the image of an ancient treasure that is sick of being ignored and goes out to wreak havoc does tickle my fancy, I think perhaps you mean;

Undead horde
pinguinsteve

Post by pinguinsteve »

Hi there, i encountered a bug in "orcish supremacy", then the opponent starts his turn i get an "unknown unit trait" failure and the campaign stops.
Using BfW 1.5.8

Regards
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

pinguinsteve wrote:Hi there, i encountered a bug in "orcish supremacy", then the opponent starts his turn i get an "unknown unit trait" failure and the campaign stops.
Using BfW 1.5.8

Regards
This was alluded to above, you just have to go into the scenario file and under the side 2 leader, change Orcish Bowman to Orcish Archer.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time