Wesnoth 1.5.7

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.5.7

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.5.7 is out!

Happy new year to every contributor and player out there! To provide you with a good start into the new year we do provide you with a new development release: 1.5.7.

This is another release of the 1.5.x development branch. That means it may include a bigger amount of bugs than the 1.4.x branch and each version is not compatible with another one from the 1.4.x and 1.5.x branch since we do change quite a lot between the releases. Keep in mind, it might be a lot more buggy than the 1.4.x branch so don't be disappointed if you get a crash every now and then. If you want to test the future of Wesnoth, you are free to check 1.5.7. It would be great if you reported any bug you find while playing 1.5.7 so that we have a chance to fix them before 1.6 is released.

The most visible change is that the new render engine is now used at more places and that several dialogs/portraits are already converted to it. The conversion is not yet complete, and some bugs are still known to exist. Those will be take care of over the next weeks.

Other important changes are that most campaigns are now converted to the new gold carryover system. So balancing might have changed significantly for some scenarios. Please post a note if you notice scenarios that are not well balanced anymore. Of course translations have made huge progress, too. Some translations are almost complete again already but help is still needed and welcome. If you want to help translating Wesnoth into your language of choice, have a look at this page and contact the translations maintainer. The maintainer will tell you how you can help best.

Some other important things to mention:
Some bugs related to replays have been fixed. The reset-to-beginning button no longer causes a crash, and single-player campaign scenario replays should work again.
Compressed start of scenario saves are recognized again by the load-game dialog.
The game now has two kinds of message dialogs, the old one and a new one. The new one shows a transparent portrait which will be scaled to fit nicely on the screen. This might need some tuning. This means all portraits made by Kitty and the new portraits of LordBob can now be shown in their full glory. (Note the WML part of it is not documented since the API is not stable yet, this will be done before 1.6.)
Note this feature is still a bit experimental and most custom unit portraits are no longer shown. This will be fixed before 1.6 as well. The old style will be phased out entirely before 1.6.

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.5.5. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (194.1 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.5.6 to 1.5.7, 32.3 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is available on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is available on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.5.7 is already up and running. This server can only be used to play with 1.5.7. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Livor

Re: Wesnoth 1.5.7

Post by Livor »

I really like the new dialogs. :) Great job!
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion. -Arthur C. Clarke, science fiction writer (1917-2008)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I would like to point out the following are two pretty nice changes for WML authors:

Code: Select all

* Graphics:
   * New image-path functions:
     * ~CS(R,G,B): do a simple color-shift by adding the argument values
       to each color channel.
 * WML engine:
   * Allow inline formulas "$( ... )" to be used in general WML
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sapient wrote:I would like to point out the following are two pretty nice changes for WML authors:

* Graphics:
       to each color channel.
 * WML engine:
You didn't mention ~BL(), ~R(), ~G(), ~B() and ~O(). They are in the changelog as well.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Shadow Master wrote:
Sapient wrote:I would like to point out the following are two pretty nice changes for WML authors:

* Graphics:
       to each color channel.
 * WML engine:
You didn't mention ~BL(), ~R(), ~G(), ~B() and ~O(). They are in the changelog as well.
I think the general capability to colorshift units and items is noteworthy... that other stuff is cool but not as exciting. You can always read the whole changelog of course. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Some people reported problems with the new dialogs.
If you have an old dialog and you dismiss that with a mouse click
the next new dialog might not show up (happens most of the time).

This will be fixed in the next release, for now better use Enter to
dismiss old dialogs (that is if you want to read all dialogs).
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Hm, whenever I start a campaign or load a savegame of a campaign wesnoth.exe tries to connect with the internet. Is that intentional?
BfW 1.5.7, windows XP

Greetz
HomerJ

edit for OS info
Six years without a signature!
Schuttwegraeumer

Post by Schuttwegraeumer »

I am testing the compiling on my FAllback PC here.

I have the problem with the compiling.
It seems to be without binaries.

checkinstall 1.6.1, Copyright 2002 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
  Diese Software wurde unter der GNU GPL veröffentlicht

The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist. 
Should I create a default set of package docs?  [y]: n

Bitte geben Sie eine Beschreibung für das Paket ein.
Beenden Sie Ihre Beschreibung mit einer leeren Zeile oder EOF.
>> 

**** Debian package creation selected ***

Das Paket wird entsprechend dieser Vorgaben erstellt:

0 -  Maintainer: [ root@hell5 ]
1 -  Summary: [ Package created with checkinstall 1.6.1 ]
2 -  Name:    [ wesnoth ]
3 -  Version: [ 1.5.7 ]
4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
5 -  License: [ GPL ]
6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
7 -  Architecture: [ i386 ]
8 -  Source location: [ wesnoth-1.5.7 ]
9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
10 - Requires: [  ]
11 - Provides: [ wesnoth ]

Geben Sie die betreffende Nummer ein, um die Vorgaben zu ändern: 

Installing with scons wesnoth install datadir=/usr/share/games/wesnoth...

====================== Installations-Ergebnisse ==========================
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking whether C++ compiler works (g++ version >= 3.3 required)... yes
Checking for Gettext's libintl... libc built-in
Checking for Boost iostreams library version >= 1.33.0... yes
Checking for gzip support in Boost Iostreams... yes
Checking for Boost smart_ptr library... yes
Checking for Simple DirectMedia Layer library version >= 1.2.7... yes
Checking for SDL_net library... yes
Checking for Pango with cairo backend... (cached) yes
Checking for fontconfig... (cached) yes
Checking for Boost regex library... yes
Checking for SDL_ttf library version >= 2.0.8... no
Client prerequisites are not met. wesnoth, cutter and exploder cannot be built.
Checking for C library X11... yes
Checking for fribidi_utf8_to_unicode(NULL,0,NULL) in C library fribidi... yes
Checking for C header file poll.h... yes
Checking for C header file sys/poll.h... yes
Checking for C header file sys/select.h... yes
Checking for Python... yes
Unit tests are disabled because their prerequisites are not met.
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: Nothing to be done for `wesnoth'.
InstallFilteredHook(["/usr/share/games/wesnoth"], ["data", "fonts", "images", "sounds"])
InstallFilteredHook(["/usr/local/share/doc/wesnoth"], ["doc/manual"])
Install file: "doc/man/wesnoth.6" as "/usr/local/share/man/man6/wesnoth.6"
Install file: "doc/man/cs/wesnoth.6" as "/usr/local/share/man/cs/man6/wesnoth.6"
Install file: "doc/man/de/wesnoth.6" as "/usr/local/share/man/de/man6/wesnoth.6"
Install file: "doc/man/es/wesnoth.6" as "/usr/local/share/man/es/man6/wesnoth.6"
Install file: "doc/man/gl/wesnoth.6" as "/usr/local/share/man/gl/man6/wesnoth.6"
Install file: "doc/man/it/wesnoth.6" as "/usr/local/share/man/it/man6/wesnoth.6"
Install file: "doc/man/lt/wesnoth.6" as "/usr/local/share/man/lt/man6/wesnoth.6"
Install file: "doc/man/tr/wesnoth.6" as "/usr/local/share/man/tr/man6/wesnoth.6"
scons: done building targets.

====================== Installation erfolgreich ==========================
grep: /var/tmp/tmp.VczAZ31457/newfile: No such file or directory

Kopiere Dateien in das temporäre Verzeichnis...OK

Stripping ELF binaries and libraries...OK

Komprimiere man-Seiten...OK

Erzeuge Datei-Liste...OK

Erstelle Debian-Paket...

libboost and the other packages are installed.
I use this line:

sudo checkinstall --install=no scons wesnoth install datadir=/usr/share/games/wesnoth
under Ubuntu 8.10 32Bit
Schuttwegraeumer

Post by Schuttwegraeumer »

Oh sorry.
Maybe the SDL_ttf.
It's not easy to build on 2 different computers. :P
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

HomerJ wrote:Hm, whenever I start a campaign or load a savegame of a campaign wesnoth.exe tries to connect with the internet. Is that intentional?
Yes
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

"continue_no_save" now creates a pop-up asking about saving a replay. If that is intentional, it seems like that sort of defeats the purpose of using it. It's not clear to me from the wiki that there is a way to turn that off, and it didn't do this in 1.5.6, so maybe it's not intentional.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

I am wondering why the game switches the dialog type used (old/new) while using the exact same WML. I have written a message macro for Necromanteion which actually uses the old style (or something that looks very like it) for all messages triggered or done by Player 1, while using the new dialog (bottom of screen, cut out portrait) for all messages by Player 2. Also, when Player 1 triggered the code, the game shows the image (which is part of core data) for a narrator screen, but when P2 does the same, the narrator pic doesn't show up.

/edit: Ah, I see. Seems to be depending on the portrait, which the unit uses. So the new message dialog doesn't support the "image"-key atm?
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

Love the new dialogs, they look awesome. I was having problems with them though, I'll have to remember to hit enter instead of clicking..

Also, the new teleport/silver mage attack sprites look AWESOME, especially the teleport.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

It seems my Mac build was fraught with problems this time around. First Python was linked wrong (which turned out now to be as big a problem as I thought, since it still worked on 10.4), then yesterday I realized I'd put the translations in the wrong place.

If either of these affect you, please re-download. If you want translations and don't wanna re-download the whole thing, here's what you can do instead:
Ctrl+click (or right-click) on Wesnoth, click on Show Package Contents, open "Contents", drag "translations" into "Resources".

Sorry for the inconvenience! And please report any more problems you notice. This is my 3rd Wesnoth binary (in recent history).