The Orcish Assassin is Orcish, right?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

The Orcish Assassin is Orcish, right?

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Therefore, it should take 1 move in hills and 2 in mountains.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
cobretti

Re: The Orcish Assassin is Orcish, right?

Post by cobretti »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Therefore, it should take 1 move in hills and 2 in mountains.
Probably, but it is Elusivefoot, not Orcishfoot. His better chance to be hit compensates his worse movement.

Not all the units from a race share the same movement type, nor have to. You can see it with humans, for exmaple.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

shouldn't the Orcish Assassin combine the properties of orcishness and elusivefoot, though?
Elvish_Pillager

Dacyn wrote:shouldn't the Orcish Assassin combine the properties of orcishness and elusivefoot, though?
Yes.

Cobretti: Orcs live in hills. How can any of them not move easily there?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Dacyn wrote:shouldn't the Orcish Assassin combine the properties of orcishness and elusivefoot, though?
Yes.

Cobretti: Orcs live in hills. How can any of them not move easily there?
??? Where a race uses to live is not enough to say its members should have a good movement type there. For example: Many humans live in hills, or even in high mountains (Tibet, Alpes) but that doesn't mean humans should have a movement type that makes them easy to move in those terrains. Movement types are intended to enhance gameplay, and not to follow reality, IMO.

And, if you re-read my post, you should note I said 'probably', that is, I agree the change would make sense, and then simply gave you some information of why the difference happens: Developers chose him to have better defense than normal orcish units, and instead of making a new movement type, they simply assigned the already existing Elusivefoot to him.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

cobretti wrote:Not all the units from a race share the same movement type, nor have to.
This wouldn't be the same movement type. So why did you write that?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

orcish assassins should remain elusivefoot. IMHO there is no real reason to give elusivefoot more movement on hills/mountains.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

turin wrote:orcish assassins should remain elusivefoot. IMHO there is no real reason to give elusivefoot more movement on hills/mountains.
they could still have [movement costs] tags, even if they remain elusivefoot. This is used for other units, too; for example the Elvish Scout.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Dacyn wrote:
cobretti wrote:Not all the units from a race share the same movement type, nor have to.
This wouldn't be the same movement type. So why did you write that?
I'm not sure what you mean, but some units from one race have different movement capabilities, which are represented by their movement type (modified later or not), like humans do (HI vs archers, for example). If i'm not wrong, what EP suggested was to give the Assassin Orcishfoot, or at least the same movement bonuses of it.
Elvish_Pillager

cobretti wrote:If i'm not wrong, what EP suggested was to give the Assassin Orcishfoot, or at least the same movement bonuses of it.
You are. The suggestion was *only* to modify those two movement costs for the *orcish assassin*.
AT

balance

Post by AT »

In multiplayer, if i had to point to units that i thought were examples of Balance, the Orcishs Assasin would be perfect (along with the Elvish Scout, for example.)

Why mess with it?
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Elvish_Pillager

Re: balance

AT wrote:Why mess with it?
'cause it's weird and unrealistic to Wesnoth. The Orcish Assassin is Orcish, right?
catpys

Post by catpys »

Would it not make sense that their training would be different than other Orcs' training and result in different stats? I would think they're not as equipped as most other Orcs for hiking throgh hills and mountains either. When I go hiking I have to make my decision on appropriate footwear based on the terrain I'll be traversing. Help me understand your point of view, I'm afraid I'm not wrapping my head around it very well. *shrug*
AT

ok

Post by AT »

Ok, to show my side of the argument (the Don't mess with it, it makes perfect sence" side, ill make up two new units. The new units are called "Micheal Johnson" (as in the runner) and "AT".

Now, Johnson gets alot of movment points for running on grasslands. This unit has alot of expirence running on flat surfaces.

But AT gets alot more movement on Mountains and in swamps. He has hiked mountains his whole life, isn't wearing running shoes, like Johnson is.

Both units are Race=human, but there is no incosistancy. Whereas Johnson is uber-fast in Grasslands, he would break his leg running up rock. Whereas AT has been running up and down mountains for years, he couldnt keep up with an olympic runner on a flat.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Elvish_Pillager

Re: ok

AT wrote:Ok, to show my side of the argument (the Don't mess with it, it makes perfect sence" side, ill make up two new units. The new units are called "Micheal Johnson" (as in the runner) and "AT".

Now, Johnson gets alot of movment points for running on grasslands. This unit has alot of expirence running on flat surfaces.

But AT gets alot more movement on Mountains and in swamps. He has hiked mountains his whole life, isn't wearing running shoes, like Johnson is.

Both units are Race=human, but there is no incosistancy. Whereas Johnson is uber-fast in Grasslands, he would break his leg running up rock. Whereas AT has been running up and down mountains for years, he couldnt keep up with an olympic runner on a flat.
AT: There is no such difference between the Orcish Assassin and, say, Orcish Grunt.