The War of the Dragon

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

The War of the Dragon

Post by Velensk »

Part one of this campain is out. It includes the first eight senarios (one non-combat) out of the twentyish planned. This is an EoM campain, and EoM is required to play.

The campain differs from most in that it only allows you to recruit when it would make sense that you would be able to do so. There are a few other things that I have, or plan to play around with.

This campain is designed to be hard, if it is not hard then please tell me so that I can fix it. However, I promise that it is possible, I've played through all the currently made senarios without save-loading or debugging (on normal).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
docrock

Re: The War of the Dragon

Post by docrock »

now, i thought it was hard learning to play ukians. u bettered me. it is REALLLY hard to learn to play windsong. crazy damage vs. crazy resists. from the first scenario on. if anything deserves the label "expert campaign", then yours surely qualifies. grats, great work. great story, and keeping the player tied is one hell of a good thing. respect. especially killing them dawgs in the first scenario ... epic.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I had trouble reading your post, but I have a comment.

If you think fighting the warg in the first senario is epic, wait until you get to the invisible drakes.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
docrock

Post by docrock »

I had trouble reading your post
yeah, sometimes i got troubles reading my own posts. that's ok.
If you think fighting the warg in the first senario is epic, wait until you get to the invisible drakes.
might take some time. i just restarted the campaign as i thought i definitely wasn't playing windsong properly. it's like throwing all my aquired playstyle off-board and starting to learn the game anew. maybe i should have checked into EoM earlier. would surely have been worth it. just too much content around to check everything out.
edit: out of sheer helplessness i just recruited two of every kind in the first attempt. thought to myself: maybe that way u get an understanding of what each unit is good for and how to level them. i was right. now i got an idea of the faction, lol, just the campaign is completely crapped unit-wise. therefore the restart.
docrock

Post by docrock »

so, i am back at "Swiftly South", and this time i got a nice crew of lvl2 units with me already, so i think i did not do too badly. every turn i do kill 3-4 units of the green leader and one of the red. still it's peasant spam, massively. maybe tune down Joris a bit? appears to me he just has too high income from all those villages and is using all of it to be a real pain as most of his units do not require upkeep.
edit: playing on default difficulty.
edit2: yep, just impossible to stop the cavalry from flanking you while at the same time killing all those peasants. Joris now recruits one cavalry and two peasants a turn. it might be possible with like 30 turns limit for the scenario, but not with 20. at least not for me.
edit3: well, seems like i took too long to get anywhere in this scenario. Joris now does three peasants + one cavalry each turn, lol. guess i am gonna restart.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Tell you what, I'm going to give you a replay for that senario, there is a trick to it, like many of the lvls in this campain. Wait an hour or so, and I'll have the replay uploaded.
docrock

Post by docrock »

i thought so already, it did not make any sense to fight it out with them, so not. was just thinking about doing it a totally different way - but what about all the wasted xp? arrrgggh. well, let's see ... :D
lol, at least you got confirmation that it is not possible to stop them cavalries. ha.
Last edited by docrock on November 2nd, 2008, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Yeah, I'm having a similar problem Docrock.

The first scenario with the wargs is interesting, it took me a couple tries before I started to understand how to effectively play windsong against them, and I realized how awesome it is having an oathkeeper.

Doc, how many level 2s do you have going into the Swiftly South scenario?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
docrock

Post by docrock »

Turuk wrote:Yeah, I'm having a similar problem Docrock.

The first scenario with the wargs is interesting, it took me a couple tries before I started to understand how to effectively play windsong against them, and I realized how awesome it is having an oathkeeper.

Doc, how many level 2s do you have going into the Swiftly South scenario?
i dare not even say it because i am so ashamed having like seven lvl2s and not being able to win anything there. guess it really comes down to a completely different approach. and now ... devlings. craploads of them. geeee ... i so hate them. yea, this surely qualifies for expert level. definitely. and for my part i am never ever gonna tell people that i am a senior BfW player again. nope. been cured.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Really? 7?

Not counting the main characters, I came through against the Wargs with 1 lvl 2, and 2 more close to leveling. You're certainly set up a lot better than me. Maybe I should have stuck out a few more turns and got more exp over gold.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
docrock

Post by docrock »

yea, i stayed to the end and fought it out. those windsong appear to me like having that elitist-not-many-hp attitude. so i thought it would be a great idea to level them. well, lol, i am still not sure if that was a good plan. i just realized that i have to learn a LOT to be effective with them.
edit: and maybe i'll start all over again, hehe, my oh my, in my first attempt i got so pwnd by them dawgs ...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Hmm, I'll go back and try to level a few and see if it makes a difference.
docrock

Post by docrock »

well, i'd guess it actually won't make any difference. there's a twist to the second scenario and as i stated, even by killing 3-4 units each turn you don't stand a chance to ever get where you have to be. cavalry flanking you while peasants keep you occupied ... not good. and that map really fills in where the enemy fails. i am eager to see the replay being posted to check out if that was the solution i finally came up with too ...
edit: oh yea, and oathkeeper + dreadnaught 4tw, agree on that.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That is because the trick is to not fight all your enemies.

I made a mistake near the end that resulted in the lose of a seeker, but otherwise I played fairly well and got lucky a couple times, this was my third attempt at the lvl.
Attachments
Swiftly_South_replay.gz
(20.4 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times
docrock

Post by docrock »

yep, took me a bit of thinking to get to the same result. :hmm: