Noy

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Light

Noy

Post by Light »

I have had a "encounter" with noy. he tried to ban me and my friend Marbro for talking in the lobby. he said "you have 60 sec to join a game or i am banning you" and i have read the code of conduct and it says nothing about being in the lobby. i was just wondering what i would do to make it so noy is no longer a moderator.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Churchill
Light

Re: Noy

Post by Light »

now he just banned a random player that was in game and not talking.
there was a huge fight between Users and noy + grrr
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Churchill
isbrandt

Post by isbrandt »

Glad I'm not the only one who's had trouble with this mod.

I was banned for asking him why he banned someone else. The whole thing was fairly tame until he started threatening people just for talking about what constituted bannable offenses.

He "warned" me when I cussed, once. He then banned me even though I didn't do it again.

This guy is power hungry, plain and simple.

Wesnoth, how long are you gonna let abusive mods ban people just trying to play your game?
ElvenKing

Post by ElvenKing »

I have had a "encounter" with noy. he tried to ban me and my friend Marbro for talking in the lobby. he said "you have 60 sec to join a game or i am banning you" and i have read the code of conduct and it says nothing about being in the lobby
You haven't read it properly.

The forth line of the "What we expect you to do" section of the MP_CodeOfConduct.

* The lobby provides a simple chat interface. Use it to arrange games but try not to use it for general or private chat. Instead, move this chat into games.
"if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do."
Angel- Angel the Series

"Sore thumbs. Do they stick out? I mean, have you ever seen a thumb and gone 'wow, that baby is sore'?"
Willow Rosenberg- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Light

Post by Light »

ElvenKing wrote:
I have had a "encounter" with noy. he tried to ban me and my friend Marbro for talking in the lobby. he said "you have 60 sec to join a game or i am banning you" and i have read the code of conduct and it says nothing about being in the lobby
You haven't read it properly.

The forth line of the "What we expect you to do" section of the MP_CodeOfConduct.

* The lobby provides a simple chat interface. Use it to arrange games but try not to use it for general or private chat. Instead, move this chat into games.

no but the problem is noy say stop so we start playing SX then he gets banned 5 min later
Winston Churchill
Light

Post by Light »

also when a mod whispers you to "F*** off" because we are in the lobby (not saying anything) and he told us that we should be playing games
Winston Churchill
cobra

Post by cobra »

Hmmm, I have never had any troubles with any moderators, so if they are banning you then its for a reason you are not stating. So quite whining about the moderators, they are doing a good job. :D
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Hi I use the username Marbro on wesnoth, I'm light's friend. Ok this is what I want you wesnoth administrater's to hear. It's not that I don't really want noy to not be a moderator anymore; I just think that he needs to be talked to. The moderators (at least this is what I think) are given a simple task to supervise the lobby and make sure that nothing is getting out of hand. If there are people being real jerks and swearing and stuff they should be banned for a while, if there are people who are just being total idiots and annoying everyone then they should be banned for a while. The moderator's job is to make the game more fun for everyone and make sure that there aren't any people out there ruining that fun for people. Noy definitely does a good job of keeping those people under control, but I think he goes a little too far and takes his job too seriously. I think you should be kind and friendly to everyone, because afterall you're supposed to be making the game more enjoyable, but then just get serious and tell people to settle down when they get out of hand. If Noy did that then I think a lot of people would respect him, but the reason why a lot of people have a problem with him though is because he acts like a stone. I can be a serious goof-off and really annoying at times, the reason why I got banned, but I have an order to it. I poke fun at people and either they think I'm funny and become my friend, or they get mad and then I just tell them I was joking around and be nice to them and then try to become friends, but noy just doesn't react in any way at all. All that I'm trying to do is get him to lighten up a little, I guess I can't complain that he banned me, just for 3 days, because I'm sure he felt like I'm the stupid mischief kid trying to bully the police officer without breaking any laws and he wanted to stand up for himself and show me that he won't put up with it, but I'm not trying to piss him off I'd like to be friends with anyone who wants to be friends with me. This is his idea of making things "right" in wesnoth. I was talking with a whole bunch of my friends in the lobby and we were being all stupid and joking around and I was messing with him a little being like "you don't want to anNoy Noy" and stuff and he just whispers me crap like "you want to play games with me? Fine I'll ban you how do you like that?" then I tell him that I'm just tlaking with my friends and he says "the lobby isn't for loitering, you can talk for another 60 seconds and then I'm gonna ban you" so I'm like whatever and I go into a game with my friends and then he just randomly whispers me after I'm already in the game and tells me that I'm banned for 3 days. This got me kind of mad, but the real reason why I'm mad at Noy isn't this, it's just the basic way that he handles things. He's like a strict patrol officer holding everything to the tiniest letter of the law, he literally jumps in when people are just having friendly conversations and tells them to take it to a game, and he won't take any messing around w/ him at all, I swear the guy is way too uptight. I know that the COC says to try to keep conversations in games, but I figure this means like not flooding the lobby with conversations restricting others form being able to plan out other games and stuff, but when the lobby is quiet and people are talking it doesn't really matter. I think he just needs to be told to loosen up and actually do his job of making the game fun and protecting people from bullies and jerks and stuff rather than being a bully himself and drawing away from the fun of the game. sry kinda lengthy.
cobra

Post by cobra »

But I to have had conversations in the lobby and i was not banned. So either your conversations are very long or its something you should not be talking about.
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

lol the fact that you haven't been banned for conversations isn't logical reasoning to say that nobody else has been banned for it. We were joking around talking like pirates and random really stupid things because we were kinda hyper and a lot of other people in the lobby were laughing and joining in too and then Noy just cut it all off short and banned me for it.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

This isn't some private school or something lol, this is an online game, you would think that it was meant to have fun which of course happens when people are talking and joking not when they are all law-bound mimes
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

The thing is, though, the lobby is there for a reason. Too much off-topic nonsense means that it will be hard for other players to arrange games and so on. If you really want to pretend to be pirates online, I'm sure you can find one of the multitude of chat programs out there, and indulge yourselves. You could even just joke around in your own game, where not everyone has to listen. This is, like you said, a game. It's not a chat room, and while some idle lobby chatter can be fun, it's not what it's there for.

Noy might not always be the most agreeable person, but he has good judgement and will often consult with other administrative members before a ban. You have to realize that many of our bans are often fairly short, and will end in a few days. We're not out to get people, we're not banning people for fun, and we try not to ban too often. Still, we have rules, and if a moderator thinks you are breaking them, a warning and perhaps a ban are in order. If you don't respect the warning, or get mad at a moderator, then the punishment will escalate.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Max

Post by Max »

after reading your post it's clear you already knew the rules - so why even start arguing with someone who points out that you were breaking them in the first place? whose job is not having friendly conversations with you and might not even enjoy it that much...

and why, after an admin acted within rules (aka doing his/her job) come here and complain? what's the point? you don't like his style?
JW

Post by JW »

Max2008 wrote:and why, after an admin acted within rules (aka doing his/her job) come here and complain? what's the point? you don't like his style?
Actually, I believe that's exactly the point. He's saying Noy's style is too oppressive.

In before lock/delete/coverup.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Okay, I think I caused some misconception here. Maybe I was a little too kind in my attempt to be unbiased. When I said that the fact that he banned me didn't matter, and I was just mad becasue of his style, I meant that this is just a stupid game and I'm not gonna cry myself to sleep because I got banned. You have to understand how ridiculous his actions were. Me and my friends don't hang out in the lobby causing trouble every day, we almost always keep it to games it's just that this day ppl kept quitting and we were getting sick of it so we decided to stay in the lobby and talk. We were being friendly to people although goofing around a little, but then Noy starts being a jerk to me. He doensn't just say, hey can you guys plz stop talking so much and make your conversations private? He just gets all onery and says that i better go into a game in 60 seconds or he's gonna ban me. And I did freakin go into the game and he still banned me, oh wow what I wonderful lesson I learned here. If the moderator's being a jerk, and you still do what he says anyway, it doesn't matter, you'll still get banned. Yes, I understand the code of conduct well and that is exactly why I posted this message because he did not follow it on his part. And it was such a simple rule too, it wasn't like I was swearing or harrassing ppl or anything. Anyway, I don't want to make this some stupid drama fest so I'm just going to leave it at that.