1.4 Bad Moon Rising (obsolete)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.4 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (0.3.2 ~ 30 scenarios)

Post by doofus-01 »

macherb,

What should happen is that when you kill a mounted elf, it should generate a standalone horse which you attack/mount like the one standing near you in the beginning. I split the "kill elf" and "hop on horse" into two separate moves, so your attacker isn't stuck defenseless with no movement left (as horsemen they are fairly weak).

That horse might be in an adjacent hex, and if those hexes are all occupied, the horse might not show up. I don't remember if I fixed that.

If none of that seems to be happening, then something is broken. I'd need to know which BfW version you're using, and maybe see a save game file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way: I'm trying to re-write this campaign, so if there were any scenarios that were more annoying than fun, I'd be glad to hear about it. Part III especially will be changed, so the "world map" is more for bonus scenarios, and less of a tedious slog through orcs.
macherb

Post by macherb »

Hi,

Now I did 3 turns: the default-horse was saddled immediatle. The a elvish rider (#1) was killed - the horse was saddled again. And the next rider also was killed -- and no horse appeared.

I aslo tried to surround rider (#1) completely, the horse appeared outside the ring of units, and was readily mountable.
Attachments
Horses-macherb_replay3.gz
(36.11 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It looks like a "first_time_only=no" line is missing in the .cfg file. I think I fixed this, are you using version 0.3.2?
I'm at work so I can't really check this or give an line number, but somewhere in the file ZZ3_Horses.cfg (or a similar name) should be an event where you can add a line like so:

Code: Select all

[event]
                name="die"
                first_time_only="no"       <-------------add this line
                [filter]
                        type="Elvish Scout, Elvish Rider"
                [/filter]
                [unit]
                        side="4"
                        type="Horse"
                        x="$x1"
                        y="$y1"
                [/unit]
        [/event]
I pulled that from your save file, but it should look similar in the .cfg.
macherb

Post by macherb »

Thanks, now it seems to work properly. Kill'n'Ride :)

When loading the campaign (Bad moon rising III) the text says version 0.1.4, Browsing the server for addons gives the version 0.3.2
macherb

Re: 1.4 Campaign: Bad Moon Rising III - horses - win condition

Post by macherb »

The win condition for the horses scenario is "steal 6 horses". In fact you also win, if you defeat both leaders. I suggest that win condition "defeat leaders" should be added to the scenario objectives or removed from the script.

I now finished the scenario (veteran). In some scenarios I had to start over several times or even go back to get sufficient gold. But finally it appears not to be too hard although I doubt I would beat the scenario as "subcommander".
Thanks for the Bad Moon campaigns, there were some tears :cry: and a lot of fun :D

regards
macherb
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the update and for catching the defeat conditions inconsistency, macherb. I'll adjust that scenario to make it less frustrating (I have trouble with it too).
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

This falls squarely into the 'nit' category; overall, BMR is clearly a superb campaign.

So, the nit: dogs are able to mount horses and transform into horsemen ;-). [They're also able to pick up the Elf bow from an earlier scenario, but that didn't seem *quite* so unlikely..]

Just coming to the end of the BMR series, and it's been hugely enjoyable. Thanks.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Another possible nit: should I be able to recall in 'Final Showdown'? Took out the lower-right lich (getting a message about "one down" that didn't have a context?) and am now summoning my recall list; feels wrong :-).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ewan,

Thanks for the reports. I'll fix the dogs & horses thing.

You are correct about the recall list, "Final Showdown" is a mess. I left it in though because I thought it was better than an "unknown scenario" error (I think there is a warning in the objectives, there should be if there isn't).

I'm re-writing Parts II & III, that last scenario will be completely replaced.
docrock

Post by docrock »

errrr, did i miss something? but in part I on default difficulty with BfW 1.4.5 in "Abandoned" the trolls are like 14:2 superior. i already looked for some secret passage or stuff like that, but there doesn't seem to be any way out except fighting them.

edit: lol, forget it. just saw where my mistake was. omg. still it's ... trollflood ...
Last edited by docrock on September 27th, 2008, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Head south from the starting position, to where some water and mushrooms are.

I like the idea of an Indiana Jones style cave with traps and secret passages, but this campaign isn't there yet. No secret passages.
docrock

Post by docrock »

lol, this was the most crappy mistake in a campaign i ever made. even more considering that i PLAYED IT BEFORE. (*sigh*) ah well, you just can't have all good days, right?
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
jdp

Post by jdp »

In the 'Second Volcano' scenario the game seems to stop after I kill Nemesis (the second leader to be killed). He just stays in the same place and doesn't die. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see what it is.

I have version 1.4.5 on MAC OS 10.4.11

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

jdp,

Does the game freeze? Or is it just that she won't die? Nemesis isn't supposed to be kill-able, if that wasn't clear I will try to make it more apparent somehow. (The third leader, who shows up after a few turns, is also immortal.) Did the enemies reach the altar area? That should trigger an event.
----------------
A note to anyone playing or thinking of playing this campaign:
Part III of this campaign really is a mess. I'm re-writing parts II & III, I'll send the updated version to the server within a day. Unfortunately, old save-games won't work and it only goes up to the middle of part II, but it should be an improvement over the current version.
jdp

Post by jdp »

Thank you for your quick reply.

The screen didn't freeze. She just wouldn't die. She is the only enemy left and I have the passage to the altar blocked with quite strong troops so I suppose there's a kind of stalemate. My gold is already very negative and getting more so every move.