Icons to define a units traits and resistances

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JW

Re: Icons to define a units traits and resistances

Post by JW »

This is a great idea Melon. Adding clarity to the UI is always a plus in my opinion.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote: The jaw looking one under leadership one looks exactly like an icon from a comercial game, except I can't remember which one exactly. I do know that icon though, and whether coincidentally or not, it looks identical.

The only other possibility is if it's a smaller version of one already used in Wesnoth. I'm pretty sure it isn't, but as I can't remember the exact source, that is a possibility.
This is a small version of the generic Wesnoth Bite attack icon...

Nice, the "puppy" has grown* so much that people make this kinds of mistakes.

*(mostly in quality)
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

I think it's very similar to warcraft III's destroyer's "devour magic" ability icon. Check below.
For the dark gods!
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Girgistian wrote:I think it's very similar to warcraft III's destroyer's "devour magic" ability icon. Check below.
It's also similar to the cannibalize ability in ghouls (and abominations in the expansion) from the same game if you want to get into it. There's nothing all that unique about it.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

It is similar, but I've never played that game.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Neoskel wrote:
Girgistian wrote:I think it's very similar to warcraft III's destroyer's "devour magic" ability icon. Check below.
It's also similar to the cannibalize ability in ghouls (and abominations in the expansion) from the same game if you want to get into it. There's nothing all that unique about it.
:eng: Jeopardy question: How many ways are there to draw a set of canine/feline-form fangs in an open-mouthed, forward-facing pose*?

They're pretty much all going to look the same, if they're facing right at us, and it's by far, the best pose for this use, especially because it can be made species-generic because of it's framing.

There's not really an issue, here, guys.

* a very popular pose, because it's instinctually threatening - it's like looking down the barrel of a gun.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Yeah, yeah. I just pointed it out since it was mentioned, I don't think it's a problem. The icons in general look great so far, by the way.
For the dark gods!
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

You're probably correct. Forget I said anything. These icons are looking great and I think they add a lot to the interface.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Sorry to leave everyone hanging for so long, I've been very busy with work lately. I've attached the icons in a spritesheet format (equally spaced and without the background). The only icon missing is "mechanical", but I personally think that it would be best to use the "undead" skull for that. Since the two abilities have exactly the same effect as far as I can tell, I think that it would be better that they used the same icon but have a different rollover name so as not to confuse the player.

I've also updated the resistance icons. I changed the fire icon to what (I think) Jetryl wanted and I also changed the arcane icon since I didn't really like the skull staff I did earlier.
Attachments
resist.png
resist.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
numbers.png
numbers.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 6815 times
icons.png
icons.png (6.95 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

First, I want to say how cool these are- it's awesome how much information you are able to cram into 2 colors and tiny space.

That said, I find your choice for "arcane" interesting... I'm not sure using that is really better than using any of a number of other real-world religious symbols. I've seen references to an equilateral triangle in a circle as the default "magic" symbol for wesnoth, and there may be other appropriately "arcane" choices.

As for the Mechanical/undead; just because they are very similar does not mean that they're identical- especially in UMC. Perhaps a gear/cog would be a simple and recognizable symbol for Mechanical.

Cheers and, like I said, excellent work.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Darker_Dreams wrote:That said, I find your choice for "arcane" interesting... I'm not sure using that is really better than using any of a number of other real-world religious symbols. I've seen references to an equilateral triangle in a circle as the default "magic" symbol for wesnoth, and there may be other appropriately "arcane" choices.
Actually, yeah - I was going to suggest that exact thing.
Darker_Dreams wrote:As for the Mechanical/undead; just because they are very similar does not mean that they're identical- especially in UMC. Perhaps a gear/cog would be a simple and recognizable symbol for Mechanical.
A gear/cog would be useful to have, anyways.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Melon

Post by Melon »

Added a gear for mechanical (and also added the "feeding" icon which I forgot to do last time).
Also made a new icon for arcane, though I still highly favor the yin-yang ball myself. I won't be making an icon using that silly triangle thing any time soon for two reasons:
1: I personally think that it sucks and has no relation to anything that even remotely resembles magic.
2: It will be a real pain in the butt to make something that elaborate on such a small scale.
Attachments
resist.png
resist.png (4.63 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
icons.png
icons.png (7.18 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've seen the symbol described in some other games, though the equalateral triagangle had an eye in it in two of them. In this case I think it makes more sense than the symbol you choose, or any religiouse symbol.

EDIT: Though there is probably something better.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
JW

Post by JW »

This is still hotness. :mrgreen:
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

The ankh or 'arkan' idea posted earlier in the thread would make a fair amount of sense as the arcane icon, simply because the same icon appears on the holy water item you can pick up in campaigns.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down