Unit Retirement

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Unit Retirement

Post by zookeeper »

A Guy wrote:High-leveled unit in danger.

Retire it. Problem solved.

Leader threatened.

Retire high-leveled unit and recall it near keep. Problem solved.
Naturally you couldn't recall the same unit twice in the same scenario.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Anyways, this is possible by creating a menu item, in case anyone ever wants to do this. Most likely not ever going to be made mainline, but possibly in UMC.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Jozrael wrote:It's called dismiss.

^^
Sorry, didn't know. Thanks.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

As a note, multiple restrictions on when you could retire a unit mid scenario is so unKISS its not even funny.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Jozrael wrote:As a note, multiple restrictions on when you could retire a unit mid scenario is so unKISS its not even funny.
And that's really the problem. If it were simple, it would likely be unfair and/or subject to abuse. If it were complicated, it would violate KISS - "recruit", "recall", "move" and "attack" are currently the only mainline commands, all of which are dirt simple.

The idea itself isn't a particularly bad one, it just raises larger balance and complexity issues than it's worth.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

IMO the best way to allow retirement would be to have clearly marked tiles (perhaps by a certain type of flag or something), probably on the edge of the map. Units moving to these tiles would be leaving the field of battle, and unavailable for the remainder of the scenario.

This would even give a legitimate way for valuable units to retreat if necessary.

This approach could be used on a campaign-by-campaign or scenario-by-scenario basis.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Zing

Post by Zing »

Model it after Recall
1) Retire at a keep with your leader there. i.e. same rule as Recall.
2) Gold sink as well (i.e. it costs to retire)
3) limits on how many times you can recall/retire. I prefer 1 (i.e. 1 recall, 1 retire)
4) A unit must be a full health to Retire (similar to a Recalled unit being at full health when recalled).
Last edited by Zing on September 20th, 2008, 12:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Zing wrote: 1) Retire at a keep with your leader there. i.e. same rule as Recall.
2) Gold sink as well (i.e. it costs to retire)
3) limits on how many times you can recall/retire. I prefer 1 (i.e. 1 recall, 1 retire)
And if a unit is dieing on the castle tile? Retire it, its good as new. This will never be put into mainline.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Zing

Post by Zing »

I don't see 'taking your unit out of harms way' as a bad thing. "You there, run into the woods and hide" :p

4) A unit must be a full health to Retire (similar to a Recalled unit being at full health when recalled... this I assume since I've never recalled a unit at partial health).
and/or perhaps the Retire takes 1-turn (the unit is retired at the beginning of the next turn when he would have got his healing).

Abuse is certainly something that can happen. Counters can be made. Of course, at some point the complexity becomes limiting.

I like Dave's retreat idea as well. But unless the AI knows the tactical advantage to cut off retreat, it may be easy to get a unit out to the exit point.

I am curious of what the idea can bring.
Last edited by Zing on September 21st, 2008, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDG

Post by MDG »

Alternative uses for a dismiss/retire type ability.

1) A campaign consisting of one very large map to be explored with unpassable terrain tiles used to delinate certain paths. The player has to recruit units at the beginning but also gets more recruitment tiles at certain points on the map. Being able to retire units would be fairly important in a scenario like this. Indeed, one of the main purposes of building a campaign around one very large map would be to get rid of the artificial retirement that occurs at the end of each normal scenario and also the scenario starting gold/carry over gold mechanism. Gold management may actually become a much more challenging aspect in a scenario of this nature.

2) An RPG heavy storyline where numerous units, for whatever reason, could turn on the player. The player has the option to dismiss units but... is he/she dismissing the treacherous ones? Or the faithful ones he/she will need when the traitors turn on him/her? Character dialogue would contain hints regarding who may/may not be trustworthy... :twisted:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

MDG wrote:2) An RPG heavy storyline where numerous units, for whatever reason, could turn on the player. The player has the option to dismiss units but... is he/she dismissing the treacherous ones? Or the faithful ones he/she will need when the traitors turn on him/her? Character dialogue would contain hints regarding who may/may not be trustworthy... :twisted:
except that the player would just load, and dismiss the treacherous ones.
MDG

Post by MDG »

Many would, I still like to believe some might play content like that in the spirit it was intended...
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

MDG wrote:Alternative uses for a dismiss/retire type ability.

1) A campaign consisting of one very large map to be explored with unpassable terrain tiles used to delinate certain paths. The player has to recruit units at the beginning but also gets more recruitment tiles at certain points on the map. Being able to retire units would be fairly important in a scenario like this. Indeed, one of the main purposes of building a campaign around one very large map would be to get rid of the artificial retirement that occurs at the end of each normal scenario and also the scenario starting gold/carry over gold mechanism. Gold management may actually become a much more challenging aspect in a scenario of this nature.

2) An RPG heavy storyline where numerous units, for whatever reason, could turn on the player. The player has the option to dismiss units but... is he/she dismissing the treacherous ones? Or the faithful ones he/she will need when the traitors turn on him/her? Character dialogue would contain hints regarding who may/may not be trustworthy... :twisted:
In a campaign like that, I would not have such an option. Instead I'd simply use location changers to move units between different parts of the map.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Zing wrote:I like Dave's retreat idea as well. But unless the AI knows the tactical advantage to cut off retreat, it may be easy to get a unit out to the exit point.
You can use the [ai] tag to set a location for the AI to protect.

I believe you can do something like this for the right-click option:

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=prestart
    [set_menu_item]
        message= _ "Retire unit"
        [show_if]
            [have_unit]
                x,y=$x1,$y1
                side=$side_number
            [/have_unit]
        [/show_if]
        [command]
# Note:This part is only necessary if you want a full heal.
            [object]
                duration=forever
                silent=yes
                [filter]
                    x,y=$x1,$y1
                [/filter]
                [effect]
                    apply_to=hitpoints
                    heal_full=yes
                [/effect]
                [effect]
                    apply_to=status
                    remove=poisoned
                [/effect]
            [/object]
# End of optional part.
            [teleport]
                [filter]
                    x,y=$x1,$y1
                [/filter]
                x,y=recall,recall
            [/teleport]
        [/command]
    [/set_menu_item]
[/event]
Tell me if I made any mistakes.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.