Unit Retirement

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Query

Unit Retirement

Post by Query »

Would it be a good idea for the player to be allowed to "retire" units in the middle of a campaign scenario? Basically that unit would disappear from the map, but stay in the recall list, allowing the player to keep the unit without paying for it's upkeep if it has completed its task. This would be useful in campaigns because a player might want to removed a unit once he/she has reached level 3 in order to let others get the xp. The unit would stay in the recall list for future harder scenarios, but the player doesn't have to continue paying his upkeep for that scenario. What do you think?
tsr

Re: Unit Retirement

Post by tsr »

I believe the standard answer is something like:

No, handling the resources (gold, units, xp) is a major part of Wesnoth. If you would be able to retire units you'd never have to think so far in advance of what you really need but could recall everything and just retire stuff as you see fit.

I happen to agree with this too ;)

/tsr
Query

Post by Query »

Well, if you did that you'd waste a lot of money recalling unwanted units, but I get the gist of what you're saying. Sounds fair.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Instead of retiring, the Undead should have ability to sacrifice the unnecessary unit, turning it to Walking Corpse (zero upkeep). :twisted:

(just joking. i am against the idea of retiring; if you want to spare money for upkeep, try finishing the scenario quickly)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I can't imagine a skeleton becoming a wc.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I remember this has been proposed before and rejected.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Hm... thinking of retirement, another idea comes to my mind, mainly for umc though.
Is it possible by wml that a certain unit will retire after a certain amount of recalls? That would keep the pressure up to advancing new units instead of playing through a campaign from scenario 5 till 32 with the same bunch of units.
Comments on that?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Can units get variables for themselves? You could set a unit's left_recalls to 5 on recruit, and decrease it on recall. When the Scenario is over all units with left_recalls = 0 get killed.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Lizard wrote:Can units get variables for themselves? You could set a unit's left_recalls to 5 on recruit, and decrease it on recall. When the Scenario is over all units with left_recalls = 0 get killed.
Yes, that'd be possible and rather easy to do.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

HomerJ wrote:That would keep the pressure up to advancing new units instead of playing through a campaign from scenario 5 till 32 with the same bunch of units.
Another way of sending away old units would be a campaign storyline where the hero makes and breaks alliances with different factions/races. When he makes an alliance with a race, he can recruit (and later recall) units of that race. When the alliance is later broken, all his units of this race leave him, including the units in the recall list. The player should be warned in advance that this happens.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Viliam wrote:
HomerJ wrote:That would keep the pressure up to advancing new units instead of playing through a campaign from scenario 5 till 32 with the same bunch of units.
Another way of sending away old units would be a campaign storyline where the hero makes and breaks alliances with different factions/races. When he makes an alliance with a race, he can recruit (and later recall) units of that race. When the alliance is later broken, all his units of this race leave him, including the units in the recall list. The player should be warned in advance that this happens.
But that would be the other way round, so recruit the first few scenarios, and after that just recall. Isn't that the case for UtbS?
And yeah, warning the player is always good, although I like hinting more, like, giving a hint but the player has to do some thinking... I welcome players being punished for bypassing the dialog or storyline-telling :P

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

High-leveled unit in danger.

Retire it. Problem solved.

Leader threatened.

Retire high-leveled unit and recall it near keep. Problem solved.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I would prefer a retirement option that would allow one to remove a unit from their recall list. I always have survivors of old battles cluttering up the lists, low level guys who I will never level up, never redeploy unless I lose all my good units, and who make it hard to find the ones I actually want to recall.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

It's called dismiss.

^^
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

A Guy wrote:High-leveled unit in danger.

Retire it. Problem solved.

Leader threatened.

Retire high-leveled unit and recall it near keep. Problem solved.
I think if it were an option to retire a unit, one requirement would be that the unit was at it's maximum hp and at rest. If I were designing such a feature I'd require either rest at max hp or rest on a castle or village, if not both. Perhaps even make it only possible to retire units that have been idle for three consecutive turns or more. (I'm thinking of putting together a campaign where some of the units, if left idle for very long will say something along the lines of "screw this, I'm heading home" and return to the recall list. But it would be sorts of idividuals where that would be in their character to do so.)
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/