Campaign Server Policy

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Campaign Server Policy

Post by scott »

Policy for content uploaded to the official Campaign Server.

All content uploaded to the campaign server must be licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Make sure there is no content included which can't be licensed under the GPL. If you are not familiar with the GPL license, read about it here: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Inappropriate content will be removed at the admins' discretion.

Regarding broken content:
1. The author will be contacted if possible
2. If author can't be contacted or if he is no longer willing to maintain it, then we will look for a new maintainer. If someones takes over, the passphrase will be changed and given to the new maintainer.
3. If no one is interested in maintenance, the content will be removed.

Instructions for making a campaign and accessing the campaign server are found in the wiki.

Discussion about or suggestions for the policy can occur in a normal thread.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Update:

For the stable (1.2) add-on server, rules should be more strict. If some add-on is really broken (as in a campaign that doesn't even start), then it can be deleted on sight. People are free to upload work-in-progress content, but not something that is fundamentally broken or completely malfunctional. For the development branch (1.3) add-on server, I suppose the rules can be a bit more relaxed, since the branch is more unstable to begin with and casual players aren't encouraged to use it.

Also, in practise no devs would start looking for replacement maintainers for UMCs, so the 2. clause of the above policy certainly wouldn't be followed currently. I think the policy of contacting authors if possible is sort of reasonable, but on the other hand it's really careless for someone to upload content without testing that it works and I'm not sure if it's reasonable to make the server maintainers go through any trouble just because of that.

Discussion on the policy would be ok, so that we can come up with simple rules that are then known by everyone. This thread will be replaced with a clean up-to-date policy when one is agreed upon.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Okay, and here is another rule that was not stated before:
Whenever I see somehow strange colord or bold text on the campaign server (no matter which one) I will remove it on sight without any extra warning. This coloring really is annoying. Until we can deactivate showing textcolors in the server-download-dialog in the client I will remove the content without further warning, just like I will do with any copyrighted and in this not GPL'ed content.
woodmouse

Re: Campaign Server Policy

Post by woodmouse »

I need to ask, is there a "limit" for add-ons? I mean, I do so much things and I want to put them in ad-on server, do I need to put them in some kinda pack or somthing? Or can I put them one by one? I mean, I'm working on nightmare versions of the mainline maps (Isar's Cross, Caves of the Basilisk, etc.), do I put them in mappack or simply one by one?
Check out my sprites!
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Consolidation of the monstrosity that is the add-on server is always a good thing.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

woodmouse wrote:I need to ask, is there a "limit" for add-ons? I mean, I do so much things and I want to put them in ad-on server, do I need to put them in some kinda pack or somthing? Or can I put them one by one? I mean, I'm working on nightmare versions of the mainline maps (Isar's Cross, Caves of the Basilisk, etc.), do I put them in mappack or simply one by one?
Yes, rather put them all in a single mappack.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

ok, thanks for answering so fastly. :)
Check out my sprites!