Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

New, new undead swimmer sprites

Post by beetlenaut »

The swimming versions of the walking corpses and soulless are in a very old style and look out of place in the game. I use both in my merman campaign, so I'm redoing the sprites. I've done the S.E. facing of the soulless so far, and the necessary part of the death animation. Does it look OK?

(The other facings are pretty low on my graphics priority list, so I don't know when I'll get to them. The zombie swimmer is next.)

Edit: These have been completely redone, and are much better now. Go to the next page of the thread.
Attachments
soulless-swimmers.png
soulless-swimmers.png (30.58 KiB) Viewed 7697 times
Last edited by beetlenaut on September 21st, 2008, 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Query

Re: New undead swimmer sprites

Post by Query »

To my untrained eye, those look quite nice. I would suggest that you do the other directions before you insert your unit into the campaign, because it'll look quite artificial otherwise.
Last edited by Query on August 31st, 2008, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I think he means low priority because they're very easy to get done. Just flipping them will suffice for the basics until he has the time to draw north/south facing ones if necessary.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Jozrael wrote:I think he means low priority because they're very easy to get done. Just flipping them will suffice for the basics until he has the time to draw north/south facing ones if necessary.
Flipping works fine. The only other facings the unit originally had were north and south, but *I* don't really need them right away. I had to define my own undead units anyway, so I just took out the references to the N and S facings to avoid the old sprites. Since those two facings look completely different from this one, they will take some time to draw. I have other things I want to do first. The only reason I mentioned them at all is that they might have to be done for the new sprites to go into mainline. (Assuming the devs want these sprites at all, that is.)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

These look pretty good. I know eternal had been working on some, but even if we port some parts of his back into these, these are an excellent thing for the meantime, and would save time in any further improvements as well.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Jetryl wrote:These look pretty good. I know eternal had been working on some, but even if we port some parts of his back into these, these are an excellent thing for the meantime, and would save time in any further improvements as well.
Yeah, Eternal made some really nice corpses in some thread but I believe it died, I know it is low priority but I wish the dead wolf rider which he made (and was my avatar for a while) could get in, same with dead orcs and naga fishies :hmm:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... a&start=45
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Longbow wrote:Yeah, Eternal made some really nice corpses in some thread but I believe it died, I know it is low priority but I wish the dead wolf rider which he made (and was my avatar for a while) could get in, same with dead orcs and naga fishies :hmm:
Thanks for pointing out that thread! I was going to work on zombie fish, but they are already done, and far better that what I could have managed. They just aren't in the game yet. (The soulless is awesome, but there is only one finished frame apparently. I'll use mine for now.)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

IIRC that was put on hold until Jetryl had finished remaking and TCing the naga and merfolk unit sprites. He has only finished with the L1 Mermaid Initiate so far.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Shadow Master wrote:He has only finished with the L1 Mermaid Initiate so far.
I just did a merman campaign, and the initiate looks so much better than any other unit, that she's kind of out of place! I hope he finishes a few more soon, but I know how much work it is.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
cretin

Post by cretin »

new initiate, in the 1.5 branch?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

cretin wrote:new initiate, in the 1.5 branch?
I think it was added in 1.4.2.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Last picture of the Hunter looked great, can't the base frame just go in with no anims? Surely that would look better than the current? Jetryl pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaasssse show us some more of your work on the fishies :shock:
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Longbow wrote:Jetryl pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaasssse show us some more of your work on the fishies :shock:
There is a campaign that conveniently shows them off as they get added now, too!
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I have commited these to trunk to replace the existing WC and Soulless swimmers in there.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Shadow Master wrote:I have commited these to trunk to replace the existing WC and Soulless swimmers in there.
Oh! Did you modify the unit cfg files not to use the old north and south facings? They don't match. I don't plan on doing those either because eternal's work is obviously going to replace mine before too long.

Did you replace both units with this one image? In my campaign at least, you have to be able to tell the difference. If I need to, I can whip up a smaller version for the swimming WC.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide