Corvvs' Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits: Merman Hunter

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Corvvs

Corvvs' Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits: Merman Hunter

Post by Corvvs »

I look around and didn't see a gryphon portrait anywhere. I would be gratefully if someone knowledgeable would tell me if this would be a worthwhile project. I have never done a portrait before, but I am proficient at drawing birds and creatures on paper. (I also know how to use The Gimp and Inkscape, etc.)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Corvvs on February 16th, 2009, 4:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Jozrael

Re: Gryphon Portrait?

Post by Jozrael »

Any portrait we don't have would be useful if you could submit one of mainline quality, and it can be useful to any UMC campaign that uses gryphons otherwise. Do you think you're up to Kitty's standards?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jozrael wrote:Any portrait we don't have would be useful if you could submit one of mainline quality, and it can be useful to any UMC campaign that uses gryphons otherwise. Do you think you're up to Kitty's standards?
:eng: I second the above as the 'official' stance on things.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

One way or another, I'll bring it up to her standards. (dramatic music plays :P) Work has begun.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Alright, here it is (WIP, obviously). Possible Issues:

1. Foot. Ugh. Maybe more to the left and less right-angular?
2. (Its) right wing might bulge down and to the right too much.
3. Should the tail be raised, or should there be foreclaws showing that it's a gryphon, not an eagle?

C&C appreciated; I want to fix any perspective, proportion, or similar issues before I begin shading
Attachments
gryphonwflats.png

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It has too few legs.

Gryphons have eagle front legs, wings, head and lion hindquarters. If you have done that, it really doesn't show on this image.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

To me it looks like he is facing north east but we can see his head as if it is looking at us?

Maybe it is just me but i didn't think griffons had 360 degree head turning?
Mica

Post by Mica »

It's not a 360 degree turn, it's about the max turning a human can do.

Though it's uncomfortable for me to turn my head that much.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Mica wrote:It's not a 360 degree turn, it's about the max turning a human can do.

Though it's uncomfortable for me to turn my head that much.
i can't turn my head that much :lol2: i know it is not 360 but its at least 270 ish ?
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

@ TSI: I'll add some nice haunches and such- I was unsure of gryphon anatomy, so I started with what is basically an eagle.

The head's turned a bit more than 180 degrees from the front of his body. I think this is possible.

Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

I did some outlines to show where the feet will be. I think the showing one's a bit big, and also should be shifted to the left. I also added the beginning of a claw on the right.

-the color has been removed as I don't want to bother putting it in again every time.
Attachments
gryphonmodcomb.png

Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I think it would be a lot easier and look nicer if you just made the Gryphon face the viewer. But that's just my opinion.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Mirion147 wrote:I think it would be a lot easier and look nicer if you just made the Gryphon face the viewer. But that's just my opinion.
Same as fas as i know a lot of the portraits do face the player. Also i keep getting the feeling he looks a bit small? I always imagined gryphons as really big?
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

I wanted him to face away as the feathers on the back are a lot more interesting than the downy front feathers (assuming they're like birds). He also seems more majestic to me somehow like this. Yes, he is a bit small, but I don't want him too big. I imagine gryphons as about 8 feet long, beak to the tip of the tail. That's about 6ish feet of body, and I think that's plenty big for a dwarf to ride. (I hope to put a dwarf on it later).

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I think a side or front view would be better. Something like this perhaps. The view you've picked is a difficult one to pull off, i think.

And I still can't really see what's going on with the hindquarters/legs. Have you a reference image?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.