Melons Artwork

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Melon

Melons Artwork

Post by Melon »

Hi everyone! This thread is intended for the critique of any and all the artwork I happen to be working on. My current major project is my Yokai faction, so a lot of our earlier discussion will hopefully be devoted to that. The portraits you see below are my first real attempt at digital portraiture in a fairly long time and were done using Kitty's handy tutorial.
Attachments
nixie.png
nixie.png (38.51 KiB) Viewed 8595 times
feyborn.png
feyborn.png (41.96 KiB) Viewed 8592 times
Unit Tree.png
Last edited by Melon on September 1st, 2008, 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
battlestar

Re: Melons Artwork

Post by battlestar »

they look very nice
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

damn, those portraits are NICE. This is really great work =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

I'm very impressed with the portraits, and the units are great too.

Really good spriting and art. :mrgreen:
Mica

Post by Mica »

VERY impressive portraits, it's a shame they're style isn't the same as ours.

If you were willing, you could do mainline portraits if you would do them in the same style we use.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Wow, thanks guys I'm flattered. I'm kind of surprised at the comments regarding my mismatching style though, I though it was at least somewhat close to the one Kitty uses.

Here's an animated sprite I did today for my Yokai faction. It was mainly an excuse to draw an animated set of wings more then anything else.
Attachments
Tengu.gif
Tengu.gif (4.92 KiB) Viewed 8971 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The confusion may be what is meant by style - I think that what Mica meant is that the eyes and facial shapes in your portraits are very manga-inspired, whereas the style we're aiming for artistically is a lot more realistic. The techniques (shading in particular) are pretty much dead on. The only major difference would be that the main style now aimed for uses llines a darker shade of the colour they surround, rather than all of one colour.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Outline I did for the Yokai weaver matron earlier today. I'll paint it sometime this afternoon if I have time. It'll basically look like it does now but there's going to be a web stretched between her hands.

What exactly is Wesnoths policy on artistic nudity? Is it ok as long as I hide all the naughty bits, as I did in this picture? Or am a technically violating the rules by posting this in the first place? (If it's illegal here, I'll remove the portrait. I just hope someone tells me before I get around to painting it).
Attachments
weaver_matron.png
weaver_matron.png (4.63 KiB) Viewed 8927 times
weaver matron.png
weaver matron.png (27.97 KiB) Viewed 8930 times
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

There is no official policy. Keep in mind what a wide range of people use Wesnoth, and some of these are kids or families who play together. The moderators and developers evaluate these things on a case by case basis taking into account the artistic merit, level of eroticism, presentation, provocation, behavior/maturity of the artist, and other factors. I think that this image should be fine although if you could come up with a creative way to block a bit more (particularly under her hand at the bottom there), then that would be better.

Nice art by the way.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I've always said that Wesnoth needed Nixies. Haven't I always said that?

Great artwork, too. You seem to have a knack for both portraiture and sprite art; most new artists tend to bedazzle with only one at a time.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Mica

Post by Mica »

Simple amazing, I'm planning on creating a pixie line or two for something. Could you make me a portrait for the pixies? They look a lot like the nixies, except their wings are like the shyde's, and they're face would look more humanish. And their ears would be the pointy ones, like elves. :D

It's worth a shot. XD
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Finished!

I wasn't sure about which version looks better so you guys get to help me decide.
Attachments
weaver matron.png
weaver matron.png (46.55 KiB) Viewed 8848 times
weaver matron (noweb).png
weaver matron (noweb).png (43.05 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
weaver matron (noglow).png
weaver matron (noglow).png (41 KiB) Viewed 8855 times
Juan-

Post by Juan- »

Is good art, but i think you should do it more, how i said, for kids?, because look so strong for the ones with no many years old, anyway good painting.
Mnewton1 code acolite...
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I think that the one w/ the web, but w/o the glow looks best.

Although I see nothing wrong with its level of explicitness, but I'd wait for other's opinions ^_^

great art, regardless!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Those portraits are great melon... Simply sublime...