Guardian Order

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Octavius

Guardian Order

Post by Octavius »

This is the replacement thread for the campaign I am developing, titled Guardian Order. I will be posting updates now and then.

While the dark age of Wesnoth was upon us, I've been working a bit on the campaign. Currently, I am pogramming scenario 3. I will also be posting screenshots of my campaign soon... For you guys to see.
Last edited by Octavius on August 14th, 2008, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Octavius

Re: Guardian Order

Post by Octavius »

Okay lah... I'm still in the process of replaying my campaign and taking screenshots of them. Much would be revealed from them, but I prefer to tell now:

- I'm adding in an interlude system that will feature more story material, character interaction and cultural showcase of the Guardian Order. Basically, its similar to story-only scenarios used in many mainline and add-on campaigns alike.

- Improved upon scenario 1 and 2.

- Scenario 3 is in the works.

- Guardian Order units are added. These units would be better than average (i.e other same level units), but are expensive. The Order Infantry and Order Champion are the rank-and-file frontline soldiers of the Guardian Order, who are powerful with the sword. The Order Archers are the ranged supports of the Guardian Order, weakening enemy units before the Infantries charge. Of course, the Guardian Order will still retain all of the loyalist armies, as they are based in Wesnoth and had their roots in Wesnoth.
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Here are some maps that I have made before.

The first, titled 'Interlude_01', is zoomed in, which means the perspective is less global and more localized. The paths are bigger, the camp is bigger and more detailed...

The second is the map for scenario three, titled '03_Home_Run'. It is basically a map that the player would have to cross and in the process, solve certain quests that are barriers as well before they could advance. Such a convention is used in many games, especially RPG, and in some strategy games such as Age of Empires II.
Attachments
03_Home_Run.map
03_Home_Run
(44.62 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Interlude_01.map
Interlude_01
(9.63 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Thus far, little work has been done as new activities in my life such as projects have been draining time away. The projects alone are taking up around 8 hours of my time per day.

So far, I've only created a file for the interlude, and are looking through codes for various functions, such as to put images on the Wesnoth maps. Much more would have to be done however. Currently, the version released is still 0.0.2, but in time that will change.

Currently, if you felt compelled to help me, what I would mainly need are unit images and portraits, such as:

- Custom unit images for the Order Infantry and Order Archers. An edit of the mainline images would do. For Order Infantries, it could just be a Swordsman wearing a white cloth with a black cross in the fashion of real-life crusaders. For the Order Archers, the same goes, except that the base unit image would be that of a longbowman's.

- Portraits of the heroes would be nice... Such as Sir Buckanwald's, Sir Winall's and Sir (I know its strange to call her sir but its meant to reflect on the masculine, almost sexist nature of the Guardian Order) Celith. The Order units would not need special portraits.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

No offer of help, I am afraid; but I *very* much enjoyed the beginning of this campaign. A couple of comments:

* the two southern 'reinforcement' camps during the marauder defeat are a long way away, and if I had not deliberately delayed I would have defeated the enemy before reach the SW camp. This may not matter much, but a neat incentive would be if it offered ability to recruit e.g. lancers?

* the battle against the traitors is hard primarily because I didn't want to lose already-experienced units, and I'm fighting opponents w/ the same strengths as me - so a lot of meat-shield being used which feels somewhat callous!

* leadership is a *big* deal, which is both rare and very enjoyable. Levelling the hero during scenario 1 made a big difference, and I think that's a great achievement.

* the 'hidebound coward' character of the allied general was maybe a *bit* overdone :-).

Generally, though, kudos and thanks. Looking forward to future scenarios.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I found this an interesting campaign, primarily because it has striking resemballances to an idea I had a while back. :D

Couldn't really get into it though, since its just started. But I eagerly await the completion.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

This campaign is old. Very old. But...

I've been working to revive it! Ever since yesterday, I've been trying to adapt the old codes for for 1.7. This campaign was for 1.4 or 1.5 but I've managed to get almost everything working again to the point where the existing scenario is now playable. EDIT: Oh yes, I'm formerly Octavius, but my old email account is abandoned, so I'd have to create a new Wesnoth account based on my new email.

But wait, there's more! Being disgruntled about how dependent I am on others where art is concerned, I've decided to give art a go and my am I surprised at what I could do with paint.NET! As a party thrown to restart this campaign, I've decided to show you guys all the versions of the Guardian soldiers I've managed to make, but before that...

Disclaimer: I do not own the original template, and therefore I take no credit for the unit art here. The modifications I could take limit credit, but not the template. Also, I know the flag and armour of the Guardian Order units resemble that of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd crusades, but they are not made to reflect that. Sorry for offending any muslims. For further information, the black cross is symbolical to deny evil entry to whatever the Guardian Order is protecting. The white represents all that is good. Here's everything I've made:
1st version Order Archer. It only has the Guardian Order flag to tell it apart from the normal Longbowman.
1st version Order Archer. It only has the Guardian Order flag to tell it apart from the normal Longbowman.
order_archer.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
2nd version Order Archer. This one has steel/silver armor that symbolises an elite distinction from the normal armies of Wesnoth. Also has a flag.
2nd version Order Archer. This one has steel/silver armor that symbolises an elite distinction from the normal armies of Wesnoth. Also has a flag.
order_archer2.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
3rd version Order Archer. This one has steel/silver armour with a cloth that has a black cross draped over his breastplate. Flag is still there as a by-product.
3rd version Order Archer. This one has steel/silver armour with a cloth that has a black cross draped over his breastplate. Flag is still there as a by-product.
order_archer3.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
1st version Order Infantry. The only difference between this and the standard Swordsman is the flag.
1st version Order Infantry. The only difference between this and the standard Swordsman is the flag.
order_infantry.png (1.46 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
2nd version Order Infantry. Steel/Silver armored representing a better armed, armored and by inference, better trained soldier. Still has the flag.
2nd version Order Infantry. Steel/Silver armored representing a better armed, armored and by inference, better trained soldier. Still has the flag.
order_infantry2.png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Last edited by xbriannova on August 3rd, 2009, 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

3rd version Order Infantry. Steel/Silver armored with a Guardian white cloth with black cross draped over his chest plate. Flag left in as a vintage novelty.
3rd version Order Infantry. Steel/Silver armored with a Guardian white cloth with black cross draped over his chest plate. Flag left in as a vintage novelty.
order_infantry3.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Continued from above as one post supports only 5 attachments:

To tell you guys the truth, the 3rd version of both types of Guardians require more work. The cross doesn't fit nicely as I didn't take into account the direction the soldiers are facing and neither did I count in the contours of their body :?

Expect more work from me. Please do comment. :)

For now, I'm working on a third scenario. The older third scenario has been scraped but used as a source of inspiration as it is just too big and ambitious, which was what set me off. What really made me happy though was that prior to previous beliefs, I found out that I was able to somewhat successfully edit template units. The next step would be to learn how to actually make original unit images.

EDIT: Been experimenting my newly learnt techniques on other unit images. Also, I tried my hand at frankensteining and my my is the result beautiful. Here's the stuff I was able to crank up for the past few hours (on and off of course)...
4th version Order Infantry. I noticed that the chest cloth is a little off- its position is wrong and the cross is a little too dark... So I decided to right all the wrongs...
4th version Order Infantry. I noticed that the chest cloth is a little off- its position is wrong and the cross is a little too dark... So I decided to right all the wrongs...
order_infantry4.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
1st generation Order Crossbowman. What I did is that I took the Sergeant's body and replace his head with the swordsman's. It worked out nicer than I expected. This one has silver/steel armor but no white cloth with black cross.
1st generation Order Crossbowman. What I did is that I took the Sergeant's body and replace his head with the swordsman's. It worked out nicer than I expected. This one has silver/steel armor but no white cloth with black cross.
order_crossbowman.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
2nd generation Order Crossbowman. The white cloth with black cross' added. The result looks better than that of anything I've done so far.
2nd generation Order Crossbowman. The white cloth with black cross' added. The result looks better than that of anything I've done so far.
order_crossbowman2.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
Current Projects:

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

xbriannova wrote:I've been working to revive it! Ever since yesterday, I've been trying to adapt the old codes for for 1.7. This campaign was for 1.4 or 1.5 but I've managed to get almost everything working again to the point where the existing scenario is now playable. EDIT: Oh yes, I'm formerly Octavius, but my old email account is abandoned, so I'd have to create a new Wesnoth account based on my new email.
Ah, okay, move south then recently? It's nice to see that this is not abandoned entirely.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Turuk wrote:
xbriannova wrote:I've been working to revive it! Ever since yesterday, I've been trying to adapt the old codes for for 1.7. This campaign was for 1.4 or 1.5 but I've managed to get almost everything working again to the point where the existing scenario is now playable. EDIT: Oh yes, I'm formerly Octavius, but my old email account is abandoned, so I'd have to create a new Wesnoth account based on my new email.
Ah, okay, move south then recently? It's nice to see that this is not abandoned entirely.
Erm... What do you mean by move south? :D

And I didn't know that you were following this old campaign...
Current Projects:

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

xbriannova wrote:Erm... What do you mean by move south
Well, you're posting from an IP that is in a different country entirely than the one Octavious posted from...
xbriannova wrote:And I didn't know that you were following this old campaign...
I follow all the user-made campaigns and test them out.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Turuk wrote:
xbriannova wrote:Erm... What do you mean by move south
Well, you're posting from an IP that is in a different country entirely than the one Octavious posted from...
xbriannova wrote:And I didn't know that you were following this old campaign...
I follow all the user-made campaigns and test them out.
Oh my God haha you sound like Agent Smith from The Matrix you seem to know everything. :lol2:

Anyway, no, its because I've changed my Computer from an old Dell laptop to a Lenovo laptop. I live in Singapore, so shouldn't my IP address be Singaporean or something? I didn't move anywhere haha.

You seem awfully interested in user-made campaigns. I do hope you are though, because there's alot of campaigns and it'd be tedious to check them all if it's just a job. Hope you'd follow this one. When I was 19, I was doing this for fun and I had to abruptly quit because I had a final year project to do and it drained alot of my time. Now that I'm free and graduated I'm gonna try and right that wrong :) The wrong being not completing this campaign. I have hopes for this. Hope it'd make it into mainline and be integrated into the main storyline.
Current Projects:

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

xbriannova wrote:Anyway, no, its because I've changed my Computer from an old Dell laptop to a Lenovo laptop. I live in Singapore, so shouldn't my IP address be Singaporean or something? I didn't move anywhere haha.
Mmm, it's completely different, beyond just a computer change. Maybe your provider switched itself to a different hub, who knows.
xbriannova wrote:You seem awfully interested in user-made campaigns. I do hope you are though, because there's alot of campaigns and it'd be tedious to check them all if it's just a job. Hope you'd follow this one. When I was 19, I was doing this for fun and I had to abruptly quit because I had a final year project to do and it drained alot of my time. Now that I'm free and graduated I'm gonna try and right that wrong The wrong being not completing this campaign. I have hopes for this. Hope it'd make it into mainline and be integrated into the main storyline.
No, not a job, I just like single-player more than I do multiplayer, and so I play as many campaigns as I can, which has ended up being almost all of them. Lately I have been going back through and replaying them so I can take notes on the pros and cons of each, and hopefully be able to recommend them to others.
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Turuk wrote:
xbriannova wrote:Anyway, no, its because I've changed my Computer from an old Dell laptop to a Lenovo laptop. I live in Singapore, so shouldn't my IP address be Singaporean or something? I didn't move anywhere haha.
Mmm, it's completely different, beyond just a computer change. Maybe your provider switched itself to a different hub, who knows.
xbriannova wrote:You seem awfully interested in user-made campaigns. I do hope you are though, because there's alot of campaigns and it'd be tedious to check them all if it's just a job. Hope you'd follow this one. When I was 19, I was doing this for fun and I had to abruptly quit because I had a final year project to do and it drained alot of my time. Now that I'm free and graduated I'm gonna try and right that wrong The wrong being not completing this campaign. I have hopes for this. Hope it'd make it into mainline and be integrated into the main storyline.
No, not a job, I just like single-player more than I do multiplayer, and so I play as many campaigns as I can, which has ended up being almost all of them. Lately I have been going back through and replaying them so I can take notes on the pros and cons of each, and hopefully be able to recommend them to others.
Hmm... Okay... Weird. I can understand man, why some people like single-player more. In multi-player you'd have to wait a while to make your next move. It takes the thrill out of the game, out of making vital decisions.

Progress has been slow, but hopefully you'd see this campaign in the add-on server soon.

EDIT: I'm not gonna create a new post so I'll dump everything new here.
1st Generation Order Phalanx. Basically the beefed up version of the spearman, but also far more expensive. Every Order unit is like the intermediate soldier between a level 1 and level 2 unit.
1st Generation Order Phalanx. Basically the beefed up version of the spearman, but also far more expensive. Every Order unit is like the intermediate soldier between a level 1 and level 2 unit.
order_phalanx.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
1st Generation Order Cataphract. In creating this unit, I did use a template, but the codes have some original strings in it. This is not just a beefed-up version of the cavalryman, but is a totally unique unit on its own. While it could use a sword, it does have a charge damage that does massive amounts of damage. I've yet to figure out a way to add the Guardian cloth to his chest plate, so the Guardian flag remains.
1st Generation Order Cataphract. In creating this unit, I did use a template, but the codes have some original strings in it. This is not just a beefed-up version of the cavalryman, but is a totally unique unit on its own. While it could use a sword, it does have a charge damage that does massive amounts of damage. I've yet to figure out a way to add the Guardian cloth to his chest plate, so the Guardian flag remains.
order_cataphract.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
1st Generation Guardian Flag. I'll tell you the truth. It simply doesn't look good. I've figured out a way to make it better, but I haven't done it yet.
1st Generation Guardian Flag. I'll tell you the truth. It simply doesn't look good. I've figured out a way to make it better, but I haven't done it yet.
Guardian_flag.png (486 Bytes) Viewed 4204 times
1st Generation Flag Icon. Doesn't look good. Gonna find a way to make a better one.
1st Generation Flag Icon. Doesn't look good. Gonna find a way to make a better one.
Guardian_flag_icon.png (210 Bytes) Viewed 4204 times
Other than those graphical enhancements, I've also removed the Guardian flag from most of the units seeing that they no longer needed them. For now, in terms of the scenarios and campaigns and map files, I've been trying to make sure every single line of code works, and I've been enhancing the design of certain map files if I could. Trying not to overdo things- it could turn out bad if I do. I'm positive that I'm close to finishing the latest scenario, the third one.
Current Projects:

xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Some happy stuff to to report. First off, I'm currently almost done with the coding for scenario 3 and I've more or less finished mapping for scenario 4 and I'm starting to code for scenario 4. More artwork is being produced. Head over to the Wesnoth arts section to check them out.

Bad news is, I've spotted a few bugs in scenario 1 and 2 that prevents Sir Celith from being recalled automatically in scenario 2. Currently trying to correct it.

Scenario 3 coding is by no means final- there are still several problems but otherwise, scenario 3 is playable. Some funny things to resolve first though. In fact, the coding for all scenarios are by no means final. I am no coder and I'm bad at all computer languages so whatever I code are bound to be low quality compared to the rest of the campaigns out there.
Current Projects: