Level 0s for every Level 1 - Humans

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheWesnothian

Re: Level 0s for every Level 1 - Humans

Post by TheWesnothian »

That's cool. Good job !
peet

Post by peet »

Ken Oh wrote:Exactly, Velensk.

Remember Peasant can become either Spearman or Bowman. These are mainline units too.

So, no, I don't think one guy who swings a club is too different from another guy who swings a bigger club and has more armor.
I think there is a dramatic difference between the two units, for a couple of reasons.

First, the Thug is chaotic while the HI is lawful. This reflects a profound difference in outlook between the two characters. I have a hard time with units that will "convert" to one side or the other.

Second, the HI is a much more expensive and more powerful unit than the Thug. If one unit is going to be able to level into either, it should be forced to pay some kind of penalty for leveling from the level 0 to an HI. Perhaps some extra gold could be deducted (to reflect the cost of all that armour).

Peet
eisfrei

Post by eisfrei »

Before I found this topic I've started to work on the same idea like the Squire you are trying to make.
= A Level 0 Horseman to advance into either Cavalryman or Horseman.
I've named it Light Cavalryman but it isn't a very good name.

That's my topic:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21775

But I suggested slightly different hp, mp, xp, attacks ...

Cost: 10 or 11
HP: 20 or 22
MP: 6 or 7
XP: 25

8 - 1 melee (pierce) (charge)

If "charge" is too precious for a level 0 Unit we could give him a
7 - 2 melee (pierce)
or
9 - 1 melee (pierce)
Attack instead.

I really would give the Squire a Horse - even if it is a smaller one (like I did) - ,
give him no armor and some sort of tape around his head like the assassin --> Todo

Here are the two images I already made in comparison to the Horseman:
Attachments
Squire with wooden Spear
Squire with wooden Spear
horseman + ruffian4.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
Squire
Squire
horseman + ruffian2.png (3.71 KiB) Viewed 4404 times
Horseman
Horseman
horseman.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
Mica

Post by Mica »

Because of the crash, this topic's updates aren't included. You'd then know that Elves, Humans, and Orcs I believe are all finished.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Very cool.

I wouldn't stay it's too powerful for anything other than the cost. It's way better than peasant in just about every way but it only costs a few more gold.

My squire is on foot, but some (like peet) would argue that it should start on horseback. Your sprites would be a good alternate. Make the rest of the animations for the unit (FYI I like the first sprite) and I'll include the alternate unit.
eisfrei

Post by eisfrei »

Mica wrote:Because of the crash, this topic's updates aren't included. You'd then know that Elves, Humans, and Orcs I believe are all finished.
Sorry, I didn't knew. Could someone post the newest version of the units again? Would be great.
And are the animations for the human units also finished?
Ken Oh wrote:I wouldn't stay it's too powerful for anything other than the cost. It's way better than peasant in just about every way but it only costs a few more gold.
Yeah, but if we make it more expensive, people could get confused whether it is L0 or L1...
Ken Oh wrote:My squire is on foot, but some (like peet) would argue that it should start on horseback. Your sprites would be a good alternate. Make the rest of the animations for the unit (FYI I like the first sprite) and I'll include the alternate unit.
Well, we did quit the same thing: Take the Ruffian head and stick it on a other unit. :)
But now I did another edit of it and gave him a kind of a tunic except the right arm with the spear. I thought the arm with the weapon could have armor but the rest not.
Attachments
Squire with tunic and wooden spear
Squire with tunic and wooden spear
horseman + ruffian6.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Horseman
Horseman
horseman.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
Mica

Post by Mica »

Looks pretty cool, but I think that he needs a steel head on his spear, the wooden spear is no where near strong enough and is generally only good for spear-fishing and hunting animals.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
markm

Post by markm »

He probably knows that, and hopes to find such a piece of steel somewhere on a battlefield in the course of levelling up into a horseman. :) Its already been mentioned somewhere that he is a bit overpowered for his cost. He's intended to be a not quite up to military grade par kind of unit, after all.

It might be though that even fire-hardened-point wooden stick might not match the damage the unit is purpoted to do? Once the balancers are through working out the numbers (damage, cost etc) we'll have a better idea just what kind of spear and what kind of armour seems to match the stats that balance requires?

Lovely little chap though, isn't he? :)

-MarkM-
Developing Between the Worlds campaign portmanteau.
Have you eaten today?
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

a mounted unit will always look more like level1 than level0 unless you resize the horse to some micro-pony.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Or perhaps give him a donkey. :P

eisfrei

Post by eisfrei »

Mica wrote:Looks pretty cool, but I think that he needs a steel head on his spear, the wooden spear is no where near strong enough and is generally only good for spear-fishing and hunting animals.
I disagree. I totaly agree with markm that only leveling up should give him a steel head, because each time a horsemen levels up, his weapon changes... (wood --> steel head --> lance)
I thought for the reason of breaking the spear after one use, we only should give him a single attack,
such as:
8 - 1 melee (pierce) (charge)
Syntax_Error wrote:a mounted unit will always look more like level1 than level0 unless you resize the horse to some micro-pony.
I already reduced the size of the horse 1px. But that's probably not enough. :) I could try to additional change the color of the horse in something darker more donkey-like and give him a tail not a hair one (I don't know the english word, sorry :oops: )
Other question: should I cover his right arm also in the tunic or leave it?
eisfrei

Post by eisfrei »

Another edit with removed TC on the right arm. Because of the tunic I think we don't need more TC stuff.
Attachments
New Squire
New Squire
horseman + ruffian7.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
Old Squire
Old Squire
horseman + ruffian6.png (3.65 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
eisfrei

Post by eisfrei »

Mica wrote:Or perhaps give him a donkey.
Yes I did. :D I changed the color into the grey of the knight. And I made a donkey tale.
Donkeyman
Donkeyman
horseman + ruffian9.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
I tried to make the ears longer but it didn't work that well. Anyway
I like it. :D
I think it's time to take a vote for the best Squire.
Here are all the possible looks in comparison.
Attachments
Squire Comparison - Please vote
Squire Comparison - Please vote
Squire Comparison.png (9.63 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Mica

Post by Mica »

Wood won't really pierce armor though, especially those dwarves. I think it should still have something else, possibly brass or bronze instead of steel?

Max

Post by Max »

it would be a bit strange if the horse changes color twice during leveling up.

and i think the horse (even if it's a pixel smaller still) looks the same size. i've tried to shorten it's legs a bit, i think this works better in terms of having it look not only smaller but also "cheaper" / less noble.

(i messed up the shadow, i'm not that good with gimp^^)
Squire Comparison.png
Squire Comparison.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 4268 times