Beginning of reign of Konrad II: 'When Came out the Shadows'

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

domingo

Beginning of reign of Konrad II: 'When Came out the Shadows'

Post by domingo »

Hi,

I post my first campaign for BfW. I think this will not earn me some sympathy because it was initially a 'personal campaign'. At first I made a story for enjoy in my own language, but I adapted it for more users. So my campaign is in French only and will probably not charm users who will download it... However, I detailled a minimum the WML scenarios in English, if some future mainteners want look at them.

If somebody wants to translate my scenarios it would be good! But I believe there will have some problems with the translations files... On the other hand you would have noted that my English is not very good...

'When Came out the Shadows' (in French 'Quand Sortirent les Ombres') is a 20 scenarios-campaign : one isn't playable (text only) ; eighteen are playable ; and there is an Epilogue. This version of WCotS is 0.1 but is a 'BETA' campaign because it is my first so I don't know if all is correct concerning WML language (structures...). In more, I didn't tried "Normal" and "Difficult" modes so maybe I gave too much or too few gold to different sides... And there are some corrections needed in "Easy" mode (gold, music, villages, incomes...). I precise I didn't put an option scenario so if you arrive at this option you will not be able to play it (but for the other you will). I rode the rules for posting a new campaign and it was written that it should be complete. But I thought my case was different, because WCotS is effectively competed but a scenario-option has been removed... I meet some difficulties to achieve it, but when we play the result for the next scenario is the same. So in the future there will have 21 scenarios (but 20 'steps').

The title of my campaign doesn't reveals what happens because it is not too much explicit (you think the story takes place on the continent? You think it is principaly an undead-campaign?). Maybe you will be able to read the scenes (but French is a hard-learning language, isn't it? :p) and if 'yes' you will note that the story takes place in 612 YW (spring), the Konrad II coronation-year... I don't say more!

Note : I'm novice in this domain and very poor in colourization, but I'm relatively proud for my Red Mage portrait... tell me what you think about it (please not too much bad critics ;-) ). And other draws will come in some weeks/months (story draws). My 1.1 version will have more draws and the scenarios will be entirely complete.

I say again that this campaign is in French so few people will be able to understand it I think... Well tell me what you thought about WCotS when you will have tried it!
Attachments
wcots-0.1.tar.bz2
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 207 times
Last edited by domingo on August 14th, 2008, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
archlich
Location: Deep in an underground bunker in an undisclosed location

Re: My campaign : 'When Came out the Shadows'

Post by archlich »

Not that I can draw any better, (my images are photoshopped from base images) but the portraits you created look like cartoons, though they in my personal opinion look about as good as portraits in The Rise of Wesnoth. Frankly, they looked kind of good, but they fail in comparison to professional images of the other characters.
"The bombing starts in 5 minutes."- Ronald Wilson Reagan
domingo

Post by domingo »

Yes, what you said is right. I had the tentation to draw this character whereas I would have been able to "paste" another portrait taken from a campaign :P . But I thought it was fine to realize my character myself! Maybe I will draw the other heroes later...
domingo

Post by domingo »

On the other hand I think this (these) non-'professional image(s)' are in agreement with the scenarios, which aren't as serious as other campaign using very beatiful images.
archlich

Post by archlich »

For unit images (this is starting to sound like the art forum) I modify existing images with GIMP photoshop. I don't know if it is available to you, but it is free and should run on any operating system you are likely to have, whether it is Windows, Apple, or what I use, Linux.

Here is what I was able to do with GIMP

Color changing and cutting and pasting will do wonders
Attachments
Lesser Demon I use in my own campaign, the base image is iron mauler
Lesser Demon I use in my own campaign, the base image is iron mauler
demon_lesser.png (4.29 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
domingo

Re: My campaign : 'When Came out the Shadows' (French)

Post by domingo »

Hi,

Don't be worry, I made my images with GIMP and I use Linux! :wink: I have in project to create a loyalist unit for my campaign modifying an existing unit (but this is effectively for art forum :lol2: )

I inform the people who downloaded the tar.bz2 file that there is not an history introduction because it is a Beta version, but it will be present soon :) like other forgotten texts, sentences and things... I know this disrupt when we directly see dialogs...

I must too delete informations about Sceptre of Fire in Commander and Lord cfg files (Konrad) because normally he doesn't use it so they are unuseful. But it is not a bad idea to bring the Spectre of Fire with Konrad and his father, and on the lands they tread... I will see!

Somebody tried to play WCotS??? If yes tell me what you think about it, and what I could/should modify!
archlich

Post by archlich »

I am under the natural assumption that you may try to come up with unique units, particularly for enemies as the campaign title said something about shadows. (The title didn't translate that well to English.)

Mainly, I am saying that you ought to experiment with abilities and weapon special WML, Here is an example of what I do in my own programming:

Code: Select all

[abilities]
	    [teleport]
        id=Gating
        name= _ "gating"
        description= _ "Gating:
Allows friendly units to teleport between villages."
	        affect_self=no	        
	[affect_adjacent]
            adjacent=n,ne,se,s,sw,nw
        [/affect_adjacent]
    [/teleport]
This allows the gatekeeper unit to teleport friendly units like they were silver magi, but the limitations are that they can not teleport back and that the gatekeeper deliberately can not teleport. Used properly this makes for a great scenario, as i am writing such a scenario at the time.

This is a weapon special for an invincible foe that must be weakened by using a special attack.

Code: Select all

[chance_to_hit]
        id=magical
        name= _ "superior magic"
        description= _ "superior magic: has 95% chance of hitting."
        value=95
        cumulative=no
    [/chance_to_hit]
This as I said is for a (at the time) invincible creature. It will hit all but marginally few times and even if it misses, the attack is so big that the next few will kill anyway.

You do not need to write a new faction like what i am doing, but a few new creatures as you know can make it very interesting.

As for storyline, i don't know how I can help you since your campaign is definitely not in my native language, but I have relatively good tricks in WML.
Last edited by archlich on August 13th, 2008, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archlich

Post by archlich »

I downloaded your campaign and attempted to test although I wouldn't understand the storyline, the objectives, or anything. (I'd be going by my intuition and when things really got bad, online language tools.)

The result is this, when I tried your campaign the game said "unknown scenario". I then attempted to get to the root of the problem, nothing was wrong with your main file so i checked the scenario file itself. Although the file was in the right format there was a problem, my computer had a freak error when I attempted to open it.

When I looked at the file, i could not find any reason the campaign and game would not recognize it. I suspect the problem may have something to do with it being out of date with version 1.4.3.

I attempted to put the French text directly into Google language tools, and it was a success, it was readable in English though some of the wordings seem weird in English. While waiting for a competent translator, that is a good start for translating your campaign.
domingo

Post by domingo »

Mmh yes you're right concerning English translations, this would be better if I want Wesnoth's users try WCotS... I will shortly begin but this will be hard and maybe long! I just think this EN version will stay a Beta version for a longer time than WCotS in FR. I remind downloaders of the fact that at hte beginning of its writing, WCotS were a personnal campaign including my native language.

I tried my campaign on version 1.4 with Linux and on 1.4.3 with Windows (sorry for the reference!)... Mmh in fact I don't know why I have 1.4 and 1.4.3 on the different OS. :?: (somebody could answer???). And I didn't have any problem like "unknow scenario", but this doesn't surprise me, because for example I downloaded "Invasion from the Unknow" 'manually' and I had the same problem (but now I don't because I downloaded it directly from BfW). Somebody have recetly had the same problem with WCotS?

domingo
domingo

Re: Beginning of reign of Konrad II: 'When Came out the Shadows'

Post by domingo »

Hi,

I have just begun to translate the scenarios, so a "fuzzy" EN campaign will be available soon... I think I will be relatively quick, maybe one week...

domingo
domingo

Post by domingo »

Ok, I translated two scenarios, the other will be transleted soon. But I'm not sure if the work is well-done ; could somebody interested in WCotS verify my translations once they will be completed?

On the other hand, I decided to describe the global story because being actually in French only, a lot of persons aren't able to understand it :wink: .

The story takes place in 612 YW.

An archipelago emerged from the ocean (located between the Great Continent and Haldric's home, the Green Isle). Haldric VII decides to board his army on to take the its control (the orcs would be nearer of Wesnoth than previously if they took its control...). Unfortunately, he is mysteriously assassinated whereas he fought against orcs and the Wesnoth army disappeared. His son Konrad (19 years aged) finally can know it left the archipelago and navigated into the Green Isle, but he doesn't know why and who lead it... The Prince (who begins Konrad II) navigate too into the isle to try localize the army and take back it. He's forced to go cross the Green Isle and fight against orcs because initially he doesn't know where the army is stationned and its leader should be against Konrad (so he doesn't join the army with his ships). Afterwards... Mmh, have I motivated your curiosity??? :hmm: Maybe they'll found why this archipelago emerged from the ocean... And in more the title must be justified... :wink:

Note that Konrad II is the king who lived through the Esatern Invasion during his reign. My story takes place when he is younger and not king yet (he becomes king during the story). WCotS explains why the kingdom where so weak and why he fell so easily when the undeads attacked Wesnoth in 627 YW...

domingo
domingo

Post by domingo »

Hi,

For the people interested in my campaign, When Came out the Shadows, I inform you that 17 scenarios are completely translated (the campaign has 20 scenarios) as well as the utils cfg files...

I'm not sure concerning the spelling so I hope somebody will be able to check my translations (it may be a great job :lol2: ). I am going to finish the two last scenarios, then I'll check myself each text, and then I'll upload my campaign on this forum (version: 0.2, Englih and French)... (I found some mistakes of all kind in my campaign :? )

PS: I'm sorry for my ignorance :mrgreen: but when a campaign is supposed to be finished, what must I do with it??? Must I just post it in the forum, or send it in a special web page??? I'm again sorry but I didn't find any documentation... :| Can I have the hope to see When Came out the Shadows among the other campaigns, a day? :P

domingo
Max

Post by Max »

domingo wrote:...when a campaign is supposed to be finished, what must I do with it???
to get it on the add-on server:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21597
domingo wrote:Can I have the hope to see When Came out the Shadows among the other campaigns, a day? :P
afaik to get a campaign to mainline it should be balanced and finished. and better than other umc that haven't made it to mainline (yet)...
but there's always hope^^

in the meantime you could ask if it can be added here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth-umc-dev

svn makes development a lot easier, and i think there's a better chance to get somebody involved...
(i promise to play it once englisch translation is finished)
domingo

Post by domingo »

Hi,

Thanks you very much Max2008 for your answer! I've just some scenarios to translate and I think I'll upload my campaign next Saturday (when I'll have a better Internet connection :D )! As I previously said, maybe the translation isn't terrific. And thanks you for trying my campaign too when it is finished! :)

domingo
domingo

Post by domingo »

Hi,

I had to upload my campaign (0.2 Beta+) today if all went well but all didn't go well... :cry: So it would be available on September, 10th (about) I think... It's about my Internet connection :annoyed: (as usual).

I will be able to correct some other mistakes I'd encounter and modify some things...

domingo