The Rebirth of Magic - Campaign in the Distant West - 0.2.1

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Armageddon

The Rebirth of Magic - Campaign in the Distant West - 0.2.1

Post by Armageddon »

Sadly enough, even after that huge break that I had to work on just the campaign, it's still 0.1.7. 0.2.0 is very close to fruition, and I'm working on it a ton, but these things take time, especially since I'm a novice programmer and have a hard time getting levels balanced.

So just to let you guys know what I have been doing, I'll post the changelog so far of 0.2.0:

- NEW SCENARIO: #3 - Ambush <==(THIS ONE IS TAKING FOREVER!!!)
- Applied temporary images for difficulties and Superior advancements
- Refined/bug fixed WML for dialogue in 1st scenario
- New unit - Adept
- Allowed Fyrus to fade with the rest of the screen in 2nd scenario
- Made fire in 2nd scenario damaging to all except Living Ember
- Weakened Elementals
Last edited by Armageddon on August 17th, 2008, 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Writer, editor, and maintainer of The Rebirth of Magic (Incomplete, please support by contributing to the thread or simply downloading from the campaign server.)

Help me out by following this link and completing an offer.
Mica

Re: The Rebirth of Magic - Campaign in the Distant West - 0.1.7

Post by Mica »

I just have one suggestion, and that is to not totally polish it just yet because I think more people would rather play a finished game that's unpolished rather than having to wait for the polished version altogether, not saying they wouldn't play the polished version (more people definitely would), but to have testers interested and getting people more willing to help you would probably be better if you gave them unpolished stuff.

Just saying.

Also, if you want, I can help you with scenario 3, as I am slightly experienced with WML and am very happy to help.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Armageddon

Re: The Rebirth of Magic - Campaign in the Distant West - 0.1.7

Post by Armageddon »

I'm fine with other people helping, but when something doesn't happen in the scenario, they don't notice, because they didn't code the entire thing by hand. I have higher expectations for my work than most people would, but that's just how I am.

I'm going to release what I have now, but the server is acting up, so when this topic's title changes, expect the campaign to already be on the server.

EDIT: nvm, I forgot to read the announcement. Use "add-ons.wesnoth.org" to access the campaign server. 0.2.0 is now on the server.
Writer, editor, and maintainer of The Rebirth of Magic (Incomplete, please support by contributing to the thread or simply downloading from the campaign server.)

Armageddon

Re: The Rebirth of Magic - Campaign in the Distant West - 0.2.0

Post by Armageddon »

BUMP

Any feedback as far wml errors or desired units/scenario styles would be greatly appreciated.

Mica

Post by Mica »

In the second scenario, it doesn't register if no one from Yehle survived or not, it automatically says they survived. You probably didn't do a variable right or something.

[edit]

And in the third scenario, you only need to kill one orc leader. Don't know if it's intentional or not.

Also, if you can't recruit peasants and woodsmen (because Yehle people didn't survive) how about you end up able to recruit those magic elementals because your magic (or whatever) knows your in danger.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Not sure what's happening in the second scenario (with the automatic survival thing). I'll look into it.

And yes, the one orc leader kill for victory was intentional.

To answer your third question: Did you play the third scenario through? It's supposed to be set up so when Fyrus uses a magical attack, the Mayor notices and considers a loophole in their oath; they swore never to use weapons of steel again. So they begin learning magic, and a couple turns later, you can recruit Adepts (new unit to RoM). Did that work?

Mica

Post by Mica »

The message came up, but I couldn't recruit adepts.

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Ok, I've decided to allow the recruiting of peasants and woodsmen at ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. The 3rd scenario is nearly impossible without them. And I've changed the enemies' recruits to goblins. Still more tuning needed, and the next version should be released shortly.

WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

Hey.
Maybe for 1st scenario when the bowman kills the peasant you could have the bowman actually animating.
if you replaced this code:

Code: Select all

[sound]
            name=bow.ogg
        [/sound]
        [delay]
            time=300
        [/delay]
        [sound]
            name={SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_DIE}
        [/sound]

[kill]
            description=Teor
        [/kill]
with this...

Code: Select all

[animate_unit]
            [filter]
                x,y=8,8
            [/filter]
            flag=attack
            hit=hit
            [primary_attack]
            [/primary_attack]
        [/animate_unit]
        [delay]
            time=300
        [/delay]
        [kill]
                description=Teor
                animate=yes
        [/kill]
it would animate the bowman (with its sword) killing Teor. I'm not sure, but you might be able to get it animating its bow by replacing [primary_attack][/primary_attack] with [secondary_attack][/secondary_attack]

Its just a suggestion, you don't have to use it cos is might take to much work, but.....
Mica

Post by Mica »

That would be cool.

And I think you should change it back to orcs, because I found the scenario to be fairly easy on Normal, even without the Adepts. I would have killed both enemy leaders but didn't realize that if I killed blue it would end the scenario. :(

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Ok, the animation in the 1st scenario has been applied. Thanks again, WYRMY. It looks a ton better. I couldn't get the [secondary_attack] to work, so Teor dies by sword now.

I don't know about the orcs coming back in. When I playtested it, it seemed impossible for me to even reach one of the leaders because of the superior power of Orc Grunts. Since you want them back in, I'm going to lower the limit of grunts (from 5 to, say, 3? Then replace the difference with goblins). Sound fair?

EDIT: Released 0.2.1 with changes mentioned.

Mica

Re: The Rebirth of Magic - Campaign in the Distant West - 0.2.1

Post by Mica »

Sure, sounds fair.

WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

Armageddon wrote: EDIT: Released 0.2.1 with changes mentioned.
If you meant released on campaign server, you didn't change the pbl file so that it say v 0.2.1
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

And also....

In the 1st scen, there are two villages that you don't get at the beginning. It seems a bit wierd that you don't get all those villages......
And Fyrus seems very young. Are you going to change his portrait (eg. make it into the peasant one) as the campaign progresses and he "grows up"?

Wind Servant unit:
Can you change the attack name to galeforce, instead of Galeforce. You don't have too, I just think the capital letter looks out of place.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Changing the portraits was the plan, but I need portraits first. :augh: :hmm: Do you have a suggestion for portraits that would work for the moment? I'd like Fyrus to have the same (or similar) face throughout the portraits, so it's going to be difficult.

And thanks for pointing out the capital. I didn't intend for that to be there, just a typo.

EDIT: Just noticed your other post WYRMY, version number has been corrected. :D