The Conquest of a Dark Queen

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mica

The Conquest of a Dark Queen

Post by Mica »

This was a thread that got lost in the recovery, it's a campaign I'm working on..

A new version will be up soon...
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Octavius

Re: The Conquest of a Dark Queen

Post by Octavius »

Welcome back! So did you take my suggestions and work based on my opinions during the Dark age of Wesnoth?
Mica

Post by Mica »

Um, what exactly were those suggestions? I'm having a hard time remembering.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

:( Okay, to start, you could improve on the maps you use. If you want I can help you with mapping. I'll even put in a few of my samples in my campaign thread for you to see.

Other than that, your Orcs sounds too stupid, only slightly better than Trolls.

I won't say so much about your troop variety at the start because mine is not much better, but anyway, perhaps you can try to add more unit types to the troops available for recruit. For example, for the cooks, they could not just recruit footpads, but also peasants, woodsmen. The orcs should have a bigger set of basic infantries, not just the level 2 warrior orc, while the lieutenant should have command of a more diversified army. For the player's pool of types, putting in soldier types that may not be used may not exactly be wrong, as it gives players more options, especially those with exotic or highly experimental strategies.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Okay - I'll number your suggestions so I can reply to them in a more organized fashion.

1. Maps
2. Orcs
3. Troop variety

1. Yes, I do plan to start doing more polished maps for future scenarios, currently scenarios 7, 8, and 9 are done (8 and 9 use the same one, I might change it slightly for 9) and are much nicer. However, the maps that are currently used are not going to be polished until after this campaign's basic stuff is finished. DDR is helping me on this campaign to where it's no longer going to just be called my campaign, but our campaign. He did the map for scenario 7 and it's just, amazing. Scenario 8's map was also done by him and polished a bit more by me. So more interesting maps will be made.

2. The orcs becoming more intelligent _will_ wait until after all the basic stuff and polished maps are complete, only because it's a minor detail.

3. Troop variety will most likely not be too fixed for scenarios 1-7, because it's generally not too important. However, for scenarios 9-?? (most likely around 16), the troop variety will grow.

Current notes -

DDR is on a trip with his family and will be gone until Friday. Because of this, I will be doing scenario 9's WML (it was assigned to him).

The storyline is currently not written for past scenario 9, but I do know the general direction I want to go with this.

More interesting objectives and scenarios will be done, because I plan to use many different types of objectives other than the basic "Move unit here" or "kill the enemy leaders."

Scenario 1 is going to be totally redone after the final scenario is done, because I really hate how it goes now.

Portraits are going to be done by thespaceinvader but not until September or even later.

Unit art for the cook unit still needs a volunteer, I really would appreciate it.

Um, version .3 should be up tomorrow or tonight if I get around to scenario 9.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Hmm... Okay... That'd be fun... Can't wait for the next version to come out. :) Your campaign has great potential. As for mine, I think it needs more work... :(
Mica

Post by Mica »

You have barely started, IIRC there's only like two scenarios so far? You just have to keep working at it, it'll get better over time, I promise.

Mica

Post by Mica »

Scenario 7 is actually very buggy (I didn't realize until now) and will take a few days to fix, and I might have to wait until DDR returns to fix it. (which will be friday).

So yeah.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Well thanks. Nowadays I barely have any time to work on my campaign. I have a wanton of responsibilities :( School work, school project, writing a book, getting my involvement in a writing competition up into the air... etc, etc. As a human, I need to allot some time for my enjoyment as well, which is either enjoyment time with my girlfriend, and playing some computer games or exercising as well as once in a while, martial arts training. Haha, so you see it leaves little time for Wesnoth campaign development. I guess everyone here can identify with me my plight.

Well, I'm glad your campaign is taking off. It will be a role model for mine for sure.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Wow, a role model! I'm honored! :)

I currently am on summer vacation, so I have the opportunity to live and breathe Wesnoth stuff. :P But that will all change in about three weeks, so it's time to get cracking!

Mica

Post by Mica »

Version .3 is being uploaded to the addon server now.

Features 9 scenarios, scenarios 7,8, and 9 are more unbalanced than previous ones, but I think with veterans should be okay.

There are actually quite a few changes including custom terrain (stolen from IftU :p), new icons, and much more!

Mica

Post by Mica »

Okay, the next version .4 will come out on Wednesday at the latest (possibly Thursday when I wake up) and will include:

Scenarios 1-3 redone. New maps, scenario 1 will be more fun to play, and the like.

Scenario 10 (an rpg style scenario) which the map is about 50x150 in size, where it's just you exiting the tunnels and gaining new allies. You won't be able to recruit but a good amount of units are recalled at the beginning, remember that you would have had to put the units in the designated hexes in scenario 9 for them to be alive.

So I can't wait!

Mica

Post by Mica »

Unfortunately quite a few problems I ran into, including groundings (that came out of the blue with no warning! :P) but HOPEFULLY this will be done today or tomorrow, if not, then it could be as long as next week. =l

Mica

Post by Mica »

Okay, wow! This scenario 10 is going to be a lot of work. It'll take awhile to do! D:

Over like, 10 interactions, with a lot of question asking and variable usage, this will be tough. Just time-consuming, really...

But, any help is appreciated. Reply if you're interested. XD

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

is this for the developmental branch or the stable?