Video Replays - Link them Here!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Video Replays - Link them Here!

Post by anakayub »

It's been an idea brought up from a long time ago if I'm not mistaken, and effort given by some players, but there's not much continuity in production as compared to the 1v1 archives. Hopefully this will help.

Following Doc's lead in producing video replays, I've decided to do them as well. It's fun! One thing great about them is that you don't have to open the game to view them, and versions don't matter! Here they are uploaded on YouTube, and if you know how to take them off the site, there should be no problem in viewing them offline. Enjoy! Hopefully someday we might even have more replays with commentary and advice (like what eyerouge suggested, and bert1 has done before), but this will do for now. And the video capture technique can always be refined even more, so that hopefully it'll be of higher quality on a site like YouTube.

My videos were just uploaded, so they might not have been finished their processing into Flash by the YouTube website. So be patient.

Once you can view them, comments are always welcome on how to improve them further. :D

Weldyn Channel - Loser (N) (v) vs anakayub (K)

Weldyn Channel - PureIce (N) vs anakayub (U)(v)
Take a breath.
segfaulthunter

Re: Video Replays - Link them Here!

Post by segfaulthunter »

anakayub wrote:It's been an idea brought up from a long time ago if I'm not mistaken, and effort given by some players, but there's not much continuity in production as compared to the 1v1 archives. Hopefully this will help.

Following Doc's lead in producing video replays, I've decided to do them as well. It's fun! One thing great about them is that you don't have to open the game to view them, and versions don't matter! Here they are uploaded on YouTube, and if you know how to take them off the site, there should be no problem in viewing them offline. Enjoy! Hopefully someday we might even have more replays with commentary and advice (like what eyerouge suggested, and bert1 has done before), but this will do for now. And the video capture technique can always be refined even more, so that hopefully it'll be of higher quality on a site like YouTube.

My videos were just uploaded, so they might not have been finished their processing into Flash by the YouTube website. So be patient.

Once you can view them, comments are always welcome on how to improve them further. :D

Weldyn Channel - Loser (N) (v) vs anakayub (K)

Weldyn Channel - PureIce (N) vs anakayub (U)(v)
Nice! But it'd be great if they were on sites with a bit better video quality, and bigger size, like dailymotion or vimeo..
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I won't hesitate to try those sites out. Thanks! :)

My videos were made in high resolution, and so I'd welcome any suggestions to have them hosted with similarly high quality. I'll re-link those replays if those sites provide better quality.
Take a breath.
ADmiral-N

Post by ADmiral-N »

anakayub wrote:My videos were made in high resolution
Actually, the low quality of Youtube wouldn't be such a problem had you used a lower resolution for recording instead ;)

I suggest to all video creators to record their games with the lowest resolution possible!
Subspace! Subspace is freeware and is the longest-running massively multiplayer internet space combat game in the world.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Or I can keep them at high quality. :wink: Segfaulthunter's suggestion works perfectly. The only limiting factor is a 500 MB max per week, but at least I get quality uploads, and you can even download the source video file I uploaded as well.

Enjoy:
1) Waterloo Sunset - L+K+U vs K+L+R (v)
2) Weldyn Channel - N vs U (v)
3) Weldyn Channel - L vs R (v)
Take a breath.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Regarding the ones I posted: Most have the option "view in high quality." If you activate that and then change the view to full screen, you should be able to follow the matches pretty easily. The first one on there (the Stem match) is obviously a very different (and very raw) style of transfer. :lol2:
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

anakayub wrote:Or I can keep them at high quality. :wink: Segfaulthunter's suggestion works perfectly. The only limiting factor is a 500 MB max per week, but at least I get quality uploads, and you can even download the source video file I uploaded as well.

Enjoy:
1) Waterloo Sunset - L+K+U vs K+L+R (v)
2) Weldyn Channel - N vs U (v)
3) Weldyn Channel - L vs R (v)
Wow, the quality there is wonderful. :)

My primary motivation in posting the youtube matches is promotion/advertisement of the game.

As far as this community is concerned though, vimeo seems like a much better option.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
bert1

Post by bert1 »

The reason my vids were so poor quality is because I insisted on using linux, which hasn't caught up yet with its screencast applications. gtk-recordmydesktop and istanbul outputs ogg-theora files which are only accepted on blip.TV, which I couldn't get to work for some reason. They aren't accepted on vimeo, or any others I looked at.

Another linux possibility (but which, again, wouldn't work for me last time I tried) is http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/ which seems to do it all from a browser. Best of luck with that.

Other than that it looks like I'll have to fire up Vista if I ever get around to making another.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

bert1 wrote:Other than that it looks like I'll have to fire up Vista if I ever get around to making another.
Avoid it as long as possible :wink:
Try using xvidcap. At least it works pretty well here.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I know that I haven't observed much matches, and even less played since I don't know when, but I'd like to inform that I've moved all of my old Vimeo replay vids up to Youtube, and added one new vid. This was after Vimeo decided to not allow gaming vids on their servers.

I'd also like to remind everyone to check out especially Doc's vids and promote 'em on them internets via Facebook/something similar.

And don't be shy to create new ones! A steady stream of new vids is always good.
Take a breath.
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

Doc, I can´t watch your videos, because soni entertainment properties are no longer available in germany...

Did you sell your sould to sony? :(
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

UngeheuerLich wrote:Doc, I can´t watch your videos, because soni entertainment properties are no longer available in germany...

Did you sell your sould to sony? :(
I think this may because of the background music.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

So any1 planning to make english commentaries for wesnoth videos?
I think it could make watching more interesting.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I haven't posted a 1v1 match video on Youtube in quite some time, so I thought I'd put this one up:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DocPaterson ... 6XXD_ZZC5A

I was digging through some semi-old replays, and was very amused by this one.
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Just did another one, in two parts:

(Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oatU_C3DDo8

(Part 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecw6IkTdjX8

It's Lichking (Undead) vs. Cackfiend (Drakes).
without your noses.