what about allow you to hide which faction you took?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
zacharias

what about allow you to hide which faction you took?

Post by zacharias »

Hi!

I think title says all: what about making you able to hide which faction you took in multiplayer?
I have got this idea, because someone told me that faction balance is perfect only with random factions (I don´t know if he is right though)

What do you think about this idea (if it isn´t too hard to code of course :) )

P.S. my english is terrible, but I think you understand me :)
Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: what about allow you to hide which faction you took?

Post by Aethaeryn »

It has been suggested before and rejected because then it kills the strategic advantage with Random while keeping its obvious disadvantage.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
zacharias

Post by zacharias »

Aethaeryn wrote:It has been suggested before and rejected because then it kills the strategic advantage with Random while keeping its obvious disadvantage.
Can I ask you, if you know answer, why should be player advantaged for taking random?? Its imho unfair..
Really, maybe someone (like me :) ) want to play their favourite faction but get strategic advatage.. :)
Also, if random faction is part of balance, then I think it would be really good to allow players to hide their faction.. But meh, if developers don´t want it, what can I do with it, right? :)
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Here's one of the past threads I've found.
Take a breath.
zacharias

Post by zacharias »

Well, then here is nothing to discuss, right? :)
Can I just ask you, what are good arguments why to NOT do it? :D (except that it can be hard to code, its obvious :) )
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Read the threads that have discussed the matter previously. You will find the arguments there.

If you still have something new to raise after you have read that, go ahead at do so. But the devs generally don't like rehashing out old arguments repeatedly. If you carry on the way you are going, you won't get taken seriously.
zacharias

Post by zacharias »

Chris NS wrote:Read the threads that have discussed the matter previously. You will find the arguments there.

If you still have something new to raise after you have read that, go ahead at do so. But the devs generally don't like rehashing out old arguments repeatedly. If you carry on the way you are going, you won't get taken seriously.
well.. I have searched and this is only argument I have sees is that thats fair, because with random you get strategic advantage and when you choose faction, you get faction you want.

It isnt imho good argemunt against it.. But meh, it will be not implemented anyway, you can lock it :P

EDIT: only argument I have is that that if factions are balanced only if you choose random, it is imho best idea to do it because it would make every battle balanced.. :)

sry for bad english
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

well.. I have searched and this is only argument I have sees is that thats fair, because with random you get strategic advantage and when you choose faction, you get faction you want.
You also have a good chance to get a race you are not good with. Which is a big disadvantage.
It isnt imho good argemunt against it.. But meh, it will be not implemented anyway, you can lock it :Pp
Its unfair if your opponent picks their best race and you go random. They have to be able to play 6 races on par with the one they choose, obviously that is unfair.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Exactly.

I guess I can now lock this thread
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.