Terrain macros overhaul

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mesilliac
Developer

Re: Terrain macros overhaul

Post by mesilliac »

Looks good, from what I can tell :).

A few minor things:

I have some macros to disable corner terrains, but I'll just fit them in after this is mostly in place, if they add anything useful.

I don't particularly like the use of "WALL" to denote corner terrains. Partially because my indoor wall terrain doesn't use the same system, and partially because not all corner terrains are necessarily walls. I've been using "FENCE" as a generic specifier (as corner terrains always enclose an area), but then that's only slightly better in that it doesn't conflict with indoor walls :?.

For the TRANSITION3_OVERLAY and ADJACENT3_OVERLAY etc. macros you could name them with something like "RESTRICT_ADJACENT" and "RESTRICT" in stead. Especially as I think "adjacent" makes more sense for the first macro which applies to other terrains being adjacent :). To clarify: TRANSITION3 could be RESTRICT_ADJACENT3 and ADJACENT3 could be RESTRICT3 etc..

I think I'd also specify DISABLE_TRANSITIONS as DISABLE_BASE_TRANSITIONS just to clarify that it doesn't affect overlays etc..
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

Having a way to disable corner transitions is a good idea. I'll add a macro for that. I'll also rename the DISABLE_TRANSITIONS macro. I think I'll keep the name for the WALLS_* macros.
mesilliac wrote: For the TRANSITION3_OVERLAY and ADJACENT3_OVERLAY etc. macros you could name them with something like "RESTRICT_ADJACENT" and "RESTRICT" in stead. Especially as I think "adjacent" makes more sense for the first macro which applies to other terrains being adjacent :). To clarify: TRANSITION3 could be RESTRICT_ADJACENT3 and ADJACENT3 could be RESTRICT3 etc..
The "problem" is that TRANSITION_OVERLAY and ADJACENT_OVERLAY do almost the same, just with and without rotation. I think RESTRICT_ADJACENT is a bit ambiguous, as it sound like it restricts the adjacent tiles. But I like the name RESTRICT for this type of transition in general, so I'll think of something.

In my current version, I changed the wall-macros a bit to

Code: Select all

WALL_TRANSITION, WALL_TRANSITION2, WALL_TRANSITION3
where WALL_TRANSITION3 is the previous WALL_TRANSITION_CORNER and WALL_TRANSITION2 is a macro that creates concave/convex AND cw/ccw transitions.

The human castle can thus be specified with

Code: Select all

{WALL_TRANSITION      Ch                 (!,Ch*,Kh*)                      castle/castle}
{WALL_TRANSITION2     Kh                 Ch*             (!,Ch*,Kh*)      castle/keep-castle}
{WALL_TRANSITION      Kh                 (!,Kh*)                          castle/keep}
Quite an improvement I think. :)

I also added some XXX_RANDOM_n macros which draw n tiles with equal probability.
I might remove the versions for different numbers and just use one macro which drawn up to ~8 tiles if the images exist, but I want to check the performance impact of having lots more rules and checking for lots of missing images first (though it should not affect runtime performance, just startup).

In general, I managed to reduce the line-count of _final.cfg by more than 50% (no, I did *not* remove whitespaces and comments...), especially the overlay-transitions are vastly more comprehensible.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the base transitions: there is a inherent complexity in the way the order of rules and especially the layering affect the outcome. So getting good looking transitions for the ~8000 combinations of tiles without resorting to excessive special-casing will remain non-trivial.
Aurë entuluva!
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

The changes are *committed*

Campaign-specific terrains are not yet converted but I left the old macros in place for compatibility. I'll do that conversion when I've recovered from this one.
Aurë entuluva!
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

I just committed another change to the terrain macros:

All overlay images (though not in corner transitions) are now centered on the center tile. So from now on you just have to make sure that the image is centred on the canvas. Everything else is done by the engine.
Aurë entuluva!
mesilliac
Developer

Post by mesilliac »

very nice :).

I think simply changing the taller corner images to the same size as the smaller ones would be fine. i.e.:
template_corner2.png
template_corner2.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
to
template_corner3.png
template_corner3.png (1.97 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
I realize this isn't actually centered on anything useful, but it's probably the most intuitive option for by far the most common usage.