Please return the user’s control of saving/deleting saves

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
vicza

Please return the user’s control of saving/deleting saves

Post by vicza »

As we remember, in 1.2 in the end of a scenario there were 3 messages: the “Scenario report”, the window asking about saving the replay, and another one asking about deleting autosaves and the name of the next savegame. Not ideal, maybe, but it worked, nonetheless. In 1.3, someone decided that clicking at three messages in a row – that’s too much (yes, indeed, comparing to hundreds and thousands clicks during the scenario itself the 3 (three) additional clicks in the end of it -- it’s incredibly much). So, currently there’s only one summary table in the end, and saving/deleting are being made automatically. Maybe, someone likes it, but, I think, it’s become even worse. I can see at least two problems.

1) If we play some scenario again (say, replaying it/them, or simply play again the campaign) the new initial save of the scenario just overwrites the previous one. At the same time, when saving the new replay with the same name, it asks whether do you want to overwrite it. As I asked already here, where is the logic? I think, scenario saves are more important things than the replays (even when the latter are not corrupted). Personally, I see absolutely no problems in asking every time about the name of the new savegame. But if for someone it’s too much, then, at least, it should ask every time when this name already exists.

Maybe, it would be easier, if the save/load window would support the directory structure. Or if every separate game (=sequence of scenarios played) had some individual number, like do units now (description="Elvish Shaman-22341-Sothiel"). But, as currently it’s not so, asking before overwriting the saves is necessary, I think.

2) The second problem is with deleting autsaves. Usually we don’t need autosaves when scenario is ended, but sometimes they still could be needed. Some of these cases were already discussed in this theme. Or, for example, you are writing a new campaign and want to try different endings… So, I think, the confirmation about deleting autosaves still should be asked. It can be done still having only one summary window. Like on the picture. Those, who want to see the finished scenario statistics (what is anyway a good idea, I think), can click on the left button (until per-scenario stats. is implemented, it can show the standard, global statistics). To delete autosaves, if they aren’t being deleted automatically, one can click the right button. If the auto-deleting is turned on, then this button should change to “Do not delete autosaves”. Finally, those who don’t need anything of it, can just press “Ok”, and go further.

And, BTW, aren't you tired of the message "You will start the next scenario with $gold or its defined minimum starting gold, whichever is higher" in the end of every scenario? I think, even the very new users after playing several games already know about it. Why repeat it in every scenario?
Attachments
tbl3.png
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please return the user’s control of saving/deleting saves

Post by Sangel »

Perhaps an option in the general or advanced section - "Ask before saving replays / Deleting Autosaves"? Or something along those lines.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

vicza wrote:1) If we play some scenario again (say, replaying it/them, or simply play again the campaign) the new initial save of the scenario just overwrites the previous one. At the same time, when saving the new replay with the same name, it asks whether do you want to overwrite it. As I asked already here, where is the logic? I think, scenario saves are more important things than the replays (even when the latter are not corrupted). Personally, I see absolutely no problems in asking every time about the name of the new savegame. But if for someone it’s too much, then, at least, it should ask every time when this name already exists.
Agreed on the bold part. It should be made to ask about overwriting just like with replays.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Code: Select all

And, BTW, aren't you tired of the message "You will start the next scenario with $gold or its defined minimum starting gold, whichever is higher" in the end of every scenario? I think, even the very new users after playing several games already know about it. Why repeat it in every scenario?
That, I agree, is clumsy, and is one of the few bits of the game that looks unprofessional.

It would be nicer if it said something like:

80% carried over to next scenario: xxx
Minimum starting gold for next scenario: yyy
You will start the next scenario with zzz gold (where zzz is the higher of xxx and yyy)

It would be a bit of a pain to code retrieving the starting gold from the starting gold from the next scenario, but I think it would be worth it, especially this early in a development cycle.