The Raven's Wings Artwork: Archer Sprite

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Garen Voh

The Raven's Wings Artwork: Archer Sprite

Post by Garen Voh »

I wasn't exactly prominent enough in the Wesnoth forums for people to notice I was gone... but I'm back anyway. :)

I'm currently creating a campaign titled "The Raven's Wings" and am working on the portraits. So there'll be more to come, but here's the main character (all the artwork credit goes to a friend of mine named Kristin... I just got to color it :P)

I'll appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks.
Attachments
varabran2.png
varabran2.png (45.69 KiB) Viewed 7269 times
Last edited by Garen Voh on May 23rd, 2008, 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I am your best nightmare...
AI
Developer

Re: The Raven's Wings Portraits

Post by AI »

The spear seems a bit curved, most noticeable in the spearhead, this may just be me though.
Trau

Post by Trau »

He/she seems to have some kind of glowy outline.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Garen Voh wrote:I wasn't exactly prominent enough in the Wesnoth forums for people to notice I was gone... but I'm back anyway. :)

I'm currently creating a campaign titled "The Raven's Wings" and am working on the portraits. So there'll be more to come, but here's the main character (all the artwork credit goes to a friend of mine named Kristin... I just got to color it :P)

I'll appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks.
Kristin rocks! :)

I like it. Though it does appear to be like a paper w/ marker sketch style and didn't transfer to the digital version so great.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Garen Voh

Post by Garen Voh »

AI wrote:The spear seems a bit curved, most noticeable in the spearhead, this may just be me though.
Yeah. It's not just you. I fixed the spearhead so it's not so 'droopy.'
Trau wrote:He/she seems to have some kind of glowy outline.
I suppose it's worth mentioning this is a guy. I hope he doesn't look too girly. And I think I fixed the halo.
Trau wrote:Kristin rocks! :)

I like it. Though it does appear to be like a paper w/ marker sketch style and didn't transfer to the digital version so great.
I was pretty happy when Kristin started showing me these. Any miscoloring is my fault--it came into the computer black and white, and I colored everything excessively pale.

Also, here's Daedanann, of the mage-ish sort (drawn by Kristin, of course). I think his cloak is a bit more glowy than it should be but anything other than that?
Attachments
daedanann2.jpg
daedanann2.jpg (6.64 KiB) Viewed 7181 times
varabran2.png
varabran2.png (43.82 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

The new mage guy could use eyes more like varabran's.
Garen Voh

Post by Garen Voh »

Okay, less glowy cloak with better eyes? Comments?
Attachments
daedanann2.png
daedanann2.png (34.81 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

the cloak's colour is much better now (still a little too saturated for my taste...), not glowy at all. and i love the pattern you put on his shirt! :)

i've got a few little problems with his anatomy: his hood sticks way too much up (or his brainpan is extremly long). and his shoulders are very slender and low. and his adam's apple is too low. i sketched where i assume the stuff should be...

keep on! (and i would be curious to learn more about he story behind your characters!)
Attachments
daedanann2.png
daedanann2.png (38.21 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
Garen Voh

Post by Garen Voh »

kitty wrote:the cloak's colour is much better now (still a little too saturated for my taste...), not glowy at all. and i love the pattern you put on his shirt! :)

i've got a few little problems with his anatomy: his hood sticks way too much up (or his brainpan is extremly long). and his shoulders are very slender and low. and his adam's apple is too low. i sketched where i assume the stuff should be...

keep on! (and i would be curious to learn more about he story behind your characters!)
Thank you! The credit for anything wonderful in the picture is Kristin's, not mine. Like I said earlier, I just colored it. And since I'm not the artist (my artistic talent lies elsewhere), thank you for your suggestions as well. They helped tremendously (esp. the little red lines, lol). :)

So then... I see what you mean about his brainpan, adam's apple, and saturation. Hopefully this fixes it? (Is it just me, or does he seem extremely small?)

I don't want to give the entire story away, but the main point is this: Varabran (the guy with the spear) is looking for Faerith'nar, a friend who disappeared. Daedanann is the "responsible one" who is dragged along. They live on a remote island in a remote archipelago far to the north of Wesnoth, and end up getting attacked by monsters, thrown into the sea, and saved/taken away to Wesnoth by mermen. And, of course, they get caught up in more than they bargained for. I can't say much more than that for these two characters. :wink: More will come, though.
Attachments
daedanann3.png
daedanann3.png (28.56 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
Garen Voh

Post by Garen Voh »

Also, here's Rieck, a sort of duelist guy.

-Edit-

I completely redid Daedanann with all the suggestions in mind. I think it got much closer to what I was looking for than the last few. Attachified!! Again, any further suggestions for Varabran, Rieck, or Daedanann?

-Edit Again-

Here's a polished-up version of Varabran. I'd say "comments or suggestions?" but I'm starting to sound like a broken record... so feel free to keep critiquing as I go.
Attachments
varabran.png
varabran.png (43.64 KiB) Viewed 6552 times
daedanann.png
daedanann.png (37.39 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
rieck.png
rieck.png (49.77 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
Garen Voh

Post by Garen Voh »

Can't forget Faerith'nar.... again, all credit except color goes to Kristin.

We're moving along... just two more first drafts: Lathadarë and Syeh (Syeh is my little avatar dude).
Attachments
faerith'nar.png
faerith'nar.png (34.99 KiB) Viewed 6525 times
Garen Voh

Post by Garen Voh »

I think I fixed Rieck's face...

What do you think?
Attachments
rieck.png
rieck.png (50.79 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The nose is better. Maybe he could use some shadow over his eyes, because of the hat brim?

Varabran and Faerith'nar look similar, like they're siblings. Just an observation.
Garen Voh

Post by Garen Voh »

Rieck: yes? No?
doofus-01 wrote:Varabran and Faerith'nar look similar, like they're siblings. Just an observation.
And a very accurate observation, I might add. Not that they're siblings... they're not related at all. But I think you're right, and so I set out to change this. I never imagined Firaeth'nar with brown hair, but hey... I don't think it looks too bad. Do they still look related? Comments?

I also just realized I quadruple-posted up there... geez... *slaps self.*
Attachments
rieck.png
rieck.png (50.45 KiB) Viewed 5752 times
faerith'nar.png
faerith'nar.png (35.78 KiB) Viewed 5746 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Faerith'nar's brown hair is actually less visible against the black background than her black hair. I think because you toned down the highlights?