Wesnoth 1.5.0

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.5.0

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.5.0 is out!

This is the first release of the 1.5.x development branch. That means it may include a bigger amount of bugs than the 1.4.x branch and each version is not compatible with another one from the 1.4.x and 1.5.x branch since we do change quite a lot between the releases. Keep in mind, it might be a lot more buggy than the 1.4.x branch so don't be disappointed if you get a crash every now and then. "Normal" players should not use this release, you should stay with the stable branch. But if you want to test the future of Wesnoth, you are free to check 1.5.0.

The release includes many engine changes like the basics of formula AI which will eventually give content creators simple access even to advanced AI parameters. Beside that there were quite many other changes, too. The savegames from the 1.4.x line will probably not be compatible with 1.5.0 and usermade content from 1.4.x is likely to cause problems, too. Please uninstall your old version of Wesnoth and remove your userdata before installing the 1.5.0 release.

Some more important things to mention:
New (heavy) map-screenshot: The new map-screenshot feature (Hotkey : "Map Screenshot") may create heavy BMP image for big maps, so if you have limited diskspace, it's better to dezoom before using it.

Smarter pathfinding: Pathfinding now tries to avoid terrains with bad defense or to be blocked by friends (this help multi-turns moves).

Notes for packagers and those who build themselves:
* We now depend on boost_regex >= 1.33.0
* We now depend on libsdl-ttf >= 2.0.8
* We now depend on zlib >= 1.0 (with development files)
A first prototype implementation of the possible new buildsystem we might be using (scons) is done, too. Please test if it does work for your system as expected. Have a look at the INSTALL file or ask either esr or loonycyborg in IRC for more information about it. The old way building (configure && make && make install) should still work, but any upcoming bugs in it are likely not to be fixed.

Beside that there were many changes "under the hood" which you will probably not notice (at least when everything works as expected). Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.4. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (143.1 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.4.1 to 1.5.0, 9.4 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth.

The multiplayer server for 1.5.0 is already up and running. This server can only be used to play with 1.5.0. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-on server for the new development branch was started, too. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Wesnoth 1.5.0

Post by zookeeper »

Note about the scenario A New Land: you may experience OOS errors which happen when you first do an undoable move, then trigger a build/terraform or research menu and cancel it.

A fix is available in the attached two files. Replace your Wesnoth/data/multiplayer/scenarios/ANL_utils/ANL_research_options.cfg and ANL_worker_options.cfg with them.
Attachments
ANL_worker_options.cfg
(10.13 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
ANL_research_options.cfg
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

A totally useless question:

How come the 1.1 lines started with 1.1.0, and the 1.5 lines started with 1.5.0, but the 1.3 line started with 1.3.1?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Chris NS wrote:How come the 1.1 lines started with 1.1.0, and the 1.5 lines started with 1.5.0, but the 1.3 line started with 1.3.1?
IIRC, 1.3.0 was tagged and prepped for release, but a bug was discovered that made it completely unplayable, so a release announcement was never posted and no binaries were ever made.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
stikonas
Translator

Post by stikonas »

And why 1.4 lines started with 1.4 and not with 1.4.0?
appleide

Post by appleide »

Lovely! Have been waiting for this for a while. :)
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
elvish lord

Post by elvish lord »

Chris NS wrote:A totally useless question:

How come the 1.1 lines started with 1.1.0, and the 1.5 lines started with 1.5.0, but the 1.3 line started with 1.3.1?
The question is maybe useless, but it's interesting. :hmm:
konsnos

Post by konsnos »

In the news page you write complete changelog twice, but one of them directs in the players changelog.
Just notifying :mrgreen:
Greek mantainer
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

konsnos wrote:In the news page you write complete changelog twice, but one of them directs in the players changelog.
Just notifying :mrgreen:
Ups, fixed.
stikonas wrote:And why 1.4 lines started with 1.4 and not with 1.4.0?
Because stable releases just start with 1.Version where development releases start with the .0. That is just the way we/I do it... (And a 1.4.0 looks strange in the announcement, 1.4 looks better, this is no issue for a development release.)
risek123

Post by risek123 »

Ubuntu 8.04 + wesnoth 1.5.0a + SCons

I have libsdl1.2-dev installed (I believe it's version 1.2.13), and SCons is throwing up:

Code: Select all

$ sudo scons
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Saved options: debug = True
Checking for Boost iostreams library version >= 1.33.0... yes
Checking for Simple DirectMedia Layer library version >= 1.2.7... no
Base prerequisites are not met.
$ 
Anyone getting SCons to work? I hate autotools and would love to abandon it as much as possible.

Update:

I figured it out. I needed libboost-iostreams-dev. SCons output above was very very misleading :)
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

risek123 wrote: I figured it out. I needed libboost-iostreams-dev. SCons output above was very very misleading :)
Was g++ pulled by libboost-iostreams-dev as dependency? SCons handles the absence of g++ very poorly, even causing spurious successes of boost checks(as I discovered by booting from Ubuntu liveCD)..
"meh." - zookeeper
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

windows binaries are ready:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... e?download

Again, like already provided with 1.4.1, we offer a couple of architecture optimized builds (see the 1.4.1 announcement for details).

@Anym:
I found your proposals about the 1.4.1 release very helpful and tried to incorporate them as good as possible into this release.

@tsr:
Haven't put your development release icon in yet, since it is still under work (but will do so once it is finished).

Last but not least the editor has a new icon (and hopefully they are shown correct this time :wink: ).
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
nataS

Post by nataS »

Offtopic: Now we only have to wait until SourceForge works again and we can give 1.5.0 a try. Slashdot, freshmeat and thinkgeek are down too. Looks like some major network issues over there. - All back after 5 hours of downtime.

Wesnoth 1.5.0 on Windows Vista (P4 architecture on core 2 duo CPU)
Installation: successful
Game vs CPU: successful
New map editor icon: works

Crashes:
When leaving an ANL game "wesnoth_p4.exe has stopped working" - This does not happen when ending any other map (reported)
When trying to run multiplayer server or multiplayers (safe mode): "Wesnoth_p4.exe has stopped working" (reported)
Last edited by nataS on April 30th, 2008, 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
vicza

Post by vicza »

Yogi Bear wrote: @Anym:
I found your proposals about the 1.4.1 release very helpful and tried to incorporate them as good as possible into this release.
But the problem he talked about still exists (Pic. 1). XP numbers are practically not visible.

And another problem appeared, BTW (pic.2) (but that should be the common bug, not of Windows version).
Last but not least the editor has a new icon (and hopefully they are shown correct this time :wink: ).
Yes, they are.
Attachments
Pic. 2 (I chose Konrad, but they talk about Lisar).
Pic. 2 (I chose Konrad, but they talk about Lisar).
Pic. 1
Pic. 1
noxp.png (28.79 KiB) Viewed 15910 times
howwitty

Post by howwitty »

If someone compiles the macOS vers. I will download it...

I tried compiling the source once - it resulted in me having no clue what I was doing :)

P.S. It's been two weeks so I think I'm all right in asking what's up. Is anyone working on it? :?
I'm tired.