Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Can I help?

Post by turin »

irrevenant wrote:Question: If artists supply unit portraits in a few different poses does the engine have support for using them? eg. if Eriugena finished both Mage01 and Mage02, could the former be used for the help screen and passive dialogue, and the latter used for "I'm going to get you, rargh!" dialogue?
Yeah, sure, we already use this in some places (e.g. Konrad & Angry Konrad)...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:
irrevenant wrote:Question: If artists supply unit portraits in a few different poses does the engine have support for using them? eg. if Eriugena finished both Mage01 and Mage02, could the former be used for the help screen and passive dialogue, and the latter used for "I'm going to get you, rargh!" dialogue?
Yeah, sure, we already use this in some places (e.g. Konrad & Angry Konrad)...
That's right, I'd forgotten Konrad and Angry Konrad.

Maybe it's worth making this point clearer to new artists: "we need non-dynamic primary portraits, but additional dynamic 'action portraits' are often useful too"? We don't want people thinking there's no benefit to providing additional portraits.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

those are really nice sketches and designs! :D
i particularly like no 4's beard! but no 2's staff and straight hair somehow remind me of saruman too much - but i like his expression very much!

concerning the emotion portraits i strongly disagree.
we shouldn't comfort anybody to work on those before we have the set of neutral portraits completed - there are over 80 still do do! it's the matter of first expanding vertically before starting a new project... and if we have a new talented artist like eriugena showing up it would be a waste to encourage her working on those - we need her skills otherwise. if somebody showes up with a finished expression portrait it is fine and we should take it of course - but afterwards ask if he/she feels like working on the neutral ones...
eriugena

Post by eriugena »

Jetryl wrote:On the orcs - I would forewarn you that our orcs shouldn't look like the typical warcraft-style orcs. Ours have more of a "wolverine" look to them (sans his trademark hairstyle). So - pointy teeth? Good. Tusks? Bad. I'd also reduce the gap between the nose and lips that is a hallmark feature of warcraft-style orcs.
Understood! ^_^ No problem with the wolvie-style!
I've use warcraft material for the reference ^_-

I'm used to receive description of the character I draw, if you want give me a description of the pose and the look (with some reference too) of the character, I'll draw it without problem. I like the collaborative work ^_^

Question 1: I'm trying to do same portrait using the existing sprite image for reference... there is a file (zip or rar) I can download? I'm moooooore comfortable printing the image zoomed and use them when I draw

Question 2: There is some portrait-image I can ink and color to have some practice? So I post the result before doing some other work?
kitty wrote: those are really nice sketches and designs! :D
i particularly like no 4's beard! but no 2's staff and straight hair somehow remind me of saruman too much - but i like his expression very much!
Thanks! ^_- It's the more defined sketch I've done (there is something it don't work with his arm... T_T). The n.2 is saruman style yes (I'm not too experienced in fantasy draw - I do superheroes draw usually - so I've use Internet reference and, obviously, the Lord of the Ring DVD ^_^).
eriugena

Post by eriugena »

I've done some ink job on a image of troll i've found in the forum.

Those is my normal style of ink (comics style), can it be good for the portrait? i didn't use simple line but more structured line.

Ink digitally, with photoshop and WACOM. Usually i use normal ink and brush, but i don't have time to use my lightbox.
Attachments
troll_mod.jpg
troll_mod.jpg (58.31 KiB) Viewed 5120 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

kitty wrote:concerning the emotion portraits i strongly disagree.
we shouldn't comfort anybody to work on those before we have the set of neutral portraits completed - there are over 80 still do do! it's the matter of first expanding vertically before starting a new project... and if we have a new talented artist like eriugena showing up it would be a waste to encourage her working on those - we need her skills otherwise. if somebody showes up with a finished expression portrait it is fine and we should take it of course - but afterwards ask if he/she feels like working on the neutral ones...
I second this. :| Strongly.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
kitty

Post by kitty »

whoa! :shock: that's a great ink job! i like how you preserved his character and added all those details! will you colour him, too? i would love to see all the details - do you have a bigger version, too?

and if you like to upgrade old portraits instead of doing new ones (which is a lot more fun for me :wink: ), you could try your hand on all the blue ones from the "grand portrait list", especially the humans (which jason lutes did). they need to be less cartoony and to be shown to the waist-line. but of course feel free to add completly new portraits, too! :)
eriugena

Post by eriugena »

kitty wrote:whoa! :shock: that's a great ink job! i like how you preserved his character and added all those details! will you colour him, too? i would love to see all the details - do you have a bigger version, too?
Yes, here it is! :) Some detail must be re-defined, it's a rapid draw, but for now that it's!
For the color I'll do some try in those days I hope!
kitty wrote:and if you like to upgrade old portraits instead of doing new ones (which is a lot more fun for me :wink: ),
Yeah! me too! I redo my draw after some years to improve them... :D
kitty wrote:you could try your hand on all the blue ones from the "grand portrait list", especially the humans (which jason lutes did). they need to be less cartoony and to be shown to the waist-line. but of course feel free to add completly new portraits, too! :)
I'll can try, where i can download them?
Attachments
troll_ink.jpg
kitty

Post by kitty »

he's big even nicer looking! but don't bother too much with the detail - he will only be displayed at 205*205 px... it's a shame (but i tend to put too much detail in, too - that's what most of the fun is, isn't it?)

most graphics are available at the wesnoth journals, an external blog with a gallery (but the site is awfully slow!), lutes' portraits are here:
http://wesnoth.dbzer0.com/blog/wpg2?g2_itemId=3124

and a few posts back you aked for the spites - they are all at the "unit reference" as .png:
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.4/C/mainline.html
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It strikes me that, though the ink job there is AWESOME, it's not quite in the style that the current portraits - kitty's elves primarily - are using. The inks should be as similar colour as the area they surround, though of a darker shade, and perhaps the shadows should be done more with colours than with inks IYSWIM.

See this for a good example:

It's also possible that a slightly different style might be accepted for other races, but you'd have to get Jetryl's word on that.

Great work though =D

Slightly more non-technical question to the forum in general: should trolls have nipples? They don't seem to be mammals to me...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty

Post by kitty »

I disagree.

You will only get identicalness if only one person does the job - and eriugena is obviously talented and near enough! Frankly her inking is far superior to mine and i would rather try to immitate her kind of inking for the future than tell her to work worse than she is capable of!
furthermore your example pic is one of my first elves, he hasn't got any line width variation. the style wasn't that settled at that time. it's not worse enough to go back to it, but still...

(and that the ink isn't coloured at this stage is normal: first the sketch, then the inking, the flats and afterwards the colouring of the lines (how do you wnat to give the lines the clour of the things they surround if these are still white?))
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

True - I tend to decide colours for the flats when i'm inking. But i would say personally that this is a different, rather than better or worse, technique.

But then, I don't hold a candle to either of you, so...

I think this one is one Jetryl may have to clear up.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
eriugena

Post by eriugena »

A very rapid color study.
I didn't done the highlight and the color tonality isn't well mixed. Just to see the color ink with the color of the skin.
Attachments
WIP - troll color
WIP - troll color
troll_clr.jpg (60.8 KiB) Viewed 4559 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looks good. Looks very good.

I was reminded, however, of why the coloured inks are necessary - the background colour. Black ink doesn't show up on black, and the b/g colour is a fixed entity. For instance, where the shadow of the club falls looks a little like a hole in his shoulder...

Great work =D