AMLA suggestion

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
peet

AMLA suggestion

Post by peet »

AFAIK, Currently the default AMLA is set to 150 experience. This default value exists for all non-leveling units.

The amount of experience that it takes for regular units to level is based principally on their current level... level 1 units take less exp to level up than level 2 units. This is sensible, because higher level units will also have an easier time gathering experience.

Should this not be the case for AMLA? Should a level 3 unit get to AMLA for the same experience that a level 2 requires?

I would suggest that level 3's should stay at 150.
But perhaps a level 4 unit should AMLA at 200.
A level 2 unit could AMLA at 100.
A level 1 that can't level up could perhaps AMLA at 50.

It's a simple formula (level * 50 = AMLA) that I believe is consistent with game logic.

Thoughts?

Peet
tsr

Re: AMLA suggestion

Post by tsr »

peet wrote:It's a simple formula (level * 50 = AMLA) that I believe is consistent with game logic.
Hm, should level 0 then AMLA at 25? (like with xp-gained-on-kill, 8*level where 0.5 is used instead of 0)

Overall, imho a good idea. The only drawback I can imagine is that in default at least most cap-at-level-2-units are considered more like level 2.5 than level 2. It migth even out the branches somewhat (at least for campaigns, where you can expect a lot of xp and amla-heal is very useful - not saying amla-heal isn't useful in mp, just more rare).

/tsr
vicza

Post by vicza »

peet wrote: I would suggest that level 3's should stay at 150.
But perhaps a level 4 unit should AMLA at 200.
A level 2 unit could AMLA at 100.
A level 1 that can't level up could perhaps AMLA at 50.

It's a simple formula (level * 50 = AMLA) that I believe is consistent with game logic.
I completely agree. (In fact, I even wanted to propose this myself, but you outrun me :)). With one reservation, though: maybe, 150 should be for lvl3 and above. Otherwise, Delfador would require 250 XP for AMLA, it's too much, imho.

And I'd just add that even aesthetically the current situation looks quite strange: most units have сommeasure HP and XP bars, while lvl1 units with AMLA have XP-bar enormously long. Like on the picture: all units there are of level 1, so you can see the difference.
Attachments
wolf3.png
wolf3.png (298.83 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I split out the discussion of Delfador's deterioration over time so that this thread can focus on the original idea. -- Irrevenant
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think this is a great idea. I simply ignore experience for units like souless and blood bats, but if they got the HP bonus and healed at 50 instead of 150, they would be much more fun to play with. They could eventually be worth recalling even.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide