Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Urs
Art Contributor

Re: Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Post by Urs »

Oh, BTW, I call Elvish Fighter and Archer.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Urs wrote:Oh, BTW, I call Elvish Fighter and Archer.
You're welcome to try, in fact go ahead and do so, because it will save me work and be good practice for you at the same time, but it's probably going to need a bit of love from me to turn out right. Just fair warning - some of these animations are pushing my own limits a bit, and I've had to fix things as I work, so it's not easy.

However, one thing you could start on right away would be making the captain and marshall animations more like the human general's. They follow the same tragectory, and I'd like the sword and shield to be in analogous positions within the different frames. This obviously means a bunch more frames for them, but then that's precisely the point.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Certainly my first attempts did have those issues (the first couple were horrible...), but i think i fixed them with later attempts. Certainly i think i got it with this animation (ignoring the gaussian motion blur aspect, of course, which i may well go back an fix, although for this unit it might be appropriate, as the head of the wapon is actually glowing... It could also do with a non-blurred, non-jumping last frame too...): Image and with later versions of the mace attack animations such as this Image or this Image. Or are they still a bit off?

Either way, I'll bear this in mind when i come to animate the Northern Alliance troops i'm working on.

Thanks.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Jetryl wrote:Blah blah blah, animation whooshes, blah blah the blah. Gaussian blur not good, etc. etc. etc.
:augh: Well, my few (pitiful) attempts at animating stuff (as some people saw in my UMC's artwork thread) used gaussian blur for motion trails. I didn't like the look of it anyway, but I thought that was the proper way to go. Thanks for revealing me the truth. 8)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Lacking the time to commit this tonight; the prior frames, cleaned up.

:annoyed: Should've blocked the hair beforehand, since it whips around too much for the motion she's got in my current wml. This might be rectified by having her "wind up" a bit more before doing the strike, but.. I'll find out later. :eng: Remember kids - block your animations, or you run into problems exactly like this.

:x Also realized the head leaves are missing from a few early frames, and frame 3's staff needs cleanup.
Attachments
sorceress-cleaned.png
sorceress-cleaned.png (11.48 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Jetryl wrote: :x Also realized the head leaves are missing from a few early frames, and frame 3's staff needs cleanup.
To be frank if I look at the animations in Wesnoth (and I slowed it down to the max) I can see pretty much nil details. :|
It is like trying to get blood from a stone.
The animation is hot though I don't think that you can appreciate ingame at full detail level.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

wayfarer wrote:
Jetryl wrote: :x Also realized the head leaves are missing from a few early frames, and frame 3's staff needs cleanup.
To be frank if I look at the animations in Wesnoth (and I slowed it down to the max) I can see pretty much nil details. :|
It is like trying to get blood from a stone.
The animation is hot though I don't think that you can appreciate ingame at full detail level.
Yeah. It's pretty much the way the Fencer's attack animation works at the moment. If you see it directly from disk - geez. If you check it working in game, it looks wonderful since human eyes can't distinguish all details anyway.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Yep sad but true. :|
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

fill a bug.. :P

though that kind of bug can take millions of years to fix :P
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Boucman wrote:fill a bug.. :P

though that kind of bug can take millions of years to fix :P
Than It's not a bug it's a feature!

-Ghost Fields
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Jetryl wrote:Unfortunately, this one or two-frame crap we have generally doesn't cut it for a lot of units. It can work for some, but for units that swing their weapon in an arc (swords, axes, etc), it generally doesn't look good. Also, some animations need to be revised to make them work better for attacks to the south, since, quite unlike in the past, they're no longer to be used for north-east (since we'll be getting north-directional frames).

- dwarven thunderer
I gave this one a shot. I based it around the banebow animation. Im not very good at animating yet, but i believe its a start :)

There are 4 melee animations. the weapon looks a little odd in the last one and the weapon swings may be a little off, but i hope this is usable
Attachments
thunderer-melee3.png (2.06 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
thunderer-melee.zip
and the zip
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Jetryl wrote::eng: Remember kids - block your animations, or you run into problems exactly like this.
What do you mean by "block your animations"? I'm guessing it's really good advice, but I don't understand what it means. :(

Sanx.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 05#p292705 explains. Two pages back in this very thread.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 05#p292705 explains. Two pages back in this very thread.
:oops: Thanks.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Quietus wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Unfortunately, this one or two-frame crap we have generally doesn't cut it for a lot of units. It can work for some, but for units that swing their weapon in an arc (swords, axes, etc), it generally doesn't look good. Also, some animations need to be revised to make them work better for attacks to the south, since, quite unlike in the past, they're no longer to be used for north-east (since we'll be getting north-directional frames).

- dwarven thunderer
I gave this one a shot. I based it around the banebow animation. Im not very good at animating yet, but i believe its a start :)

There are 4 melee animations. the weapon looks a little odd in the last one and the weapon swings may be a little off, but i hope this is usable
Quite useable, quite good. There are one or two minor issues I'll note, which will hopefully help improve future work, but really, this is mighty fine stuff. And you get a major tip of the hat for taking the initiative and just doing this with no request from me. It's how stuff gets done. :D

1] The body is exactly the same between frames 3-4; the only difference is the absence of the weapon trail. Don't do that - if the body is in motion, and it's a moment later when the weapon's finished the fast part of it's motion, the entire body will have shifted slightly. If you look at the other frames I made for the banebow/ranger, they do this, and it helps.

2] We should probably have him do more interesting motion with his gun rather than holding it in the exact same statuesque position during the whole animation. An upwards tilt would help.

3] Possible axial rotation on the head, ever so slightly, could help.

But really - top notch. :) Thanks a bunch. (I'll commit later after I finish these tweaks.)