The Era of Myths art project thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Re: The Era of Myths art project thread

Post by Jetrel »

Your new wargs are a very significant improvement over the previous ones, however your work on the Flesh Artisan has basically ruined the thing.

As much as adding details to an image to get it closer to the concept might be nice, it's a bad thing to do if the new version is more poorly drawn.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jester

Post by Jester »

M'kay, do you also have some constructive comments as to how I could improve it? As in, what part is poorly drawn and why, 'cause, you know, it doesn't really help me improve to only hear "that sucks".
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
JW

Post by JW »

Velensk wrote:
Jester wrote:Yah, I need to practice my weapons. The Warrior Warg as well as the Moonblade will definetly get some revision in that area.

Worked on the Flesh Artisan for a bit, what do you think?
An improvment, it still looks like his head is attached directly to his chest, but that is not a huge problem, infact it is unsettleing in a thematic way. I have a slight prefrence to the top model. I don't have a problem with it, but it still feels like there is some improvment to be made. However unless someone points out what this is, I'm going to put this into the next version allong with the warg.
I actually don't like the head: it makes him look like an alien. :(

---I actually thought the Flesh Artisan was one of the old sprites that didn't need changing actually. The others surely did need Melon's upgrades.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Then we'll just use the old one, no problem.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Jester, your new Flesh Artisan suffered from an awkward pose. There were too many straight vertical lines that made it look unnatural. Also, the belt was a straight horizonal line; it should curve around the waist.
Basically, you must break those straight lines. Only things like swords or wooden poles can be exactly straight but even with them you should avoid vertical, horizonal and 45 degree -lines.

Your progress on the Warg is great, however. :) A few suffer from straight vertical lines but for the most part they show improvement. Weapons have their own tricks to success; find out how metal reflects light and try to mimic that. Looking at Neo's graphic library section helped me.

Also... I needed something refreshing to pixel at. All the work with the big project is quite tedious so...
I tweaked the Flesh Artisan a little. It's huge now, I know, and the pose isn't all that great either but I hope it provides you reference material.

Those pants frighten me... I think I created a monster.
Attachments
flesh_artisan.png
flesh_artisan.png (5.65 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
JW

Post by JW »

Hi Eternal. 8)

You know, there's plenty of other refreshing EoM sprites that could use your magic hands! :lol2:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm glad that JW posted otherwise I'd have not noticed eternals post. That is a scary thing, though it does lack the shoulder spikes that Jester wanted.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jester

Post by Jester »

Just notice that my internet died on me (working from a college computer now), so I won't be able to frequent this forum, let alone update any sprites.

I'll be back, though.

megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

So, the concept of giving the EoM a specific setting has been discussed a bit, and I had some time on the train, so:

:eng:

Please note that this is a half-hearted labelling job of a poor digital-camera capture of an already low-quality sketch, so feel free to overlook the fact that it's blurry, undefined, and generally the suck. If you guys like it, I'll go over it in vector and do other high-fallutin' xenocartographical thingamajiggers.

Edit: forgot to note, the colored-in areas just denote the primary territory of that faction; especially in times of war you'll find everybody running everywhere (also note that the Devlings, as i think JW suggested, don't really have a territory, but, well, there's nobody else in the Waste, period).

Also, I saw JW's above post after drawing this; I suppose a big chasm could be added, but IMO it's perfectly reasonable for there to be a big chasm AND a huge swath of empty wasteland separating everybody. :wink:
Attachments
click it to see it full size -- if you dare
click it to see it full size -- if you dare
unlabelled.png
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Is this new land in any way physically connected to the Great Continent?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I think that the celestials ought to be directly adjacent to either vampires or devilings (or both) so that they have someone to crusade against, I don't think that either therians or warg realy fit that bill. The terrains I had pictured for each race are as follows.

Therian: versetile mostly forest and plains
Vampire/Warg: moutains/snowy forests
deviliings: wastelands/jungle/swamp
elemental: depends on elemental
Celestial: plains accsess to evil factions
windsong: north any non-flat

keep in mind that there does not have to be one area staked of for any one race, there can be splinters and other splinters, clans, nations, whatever.

The map art on the other hand is nice.

By the way as an additional request to add to the list on the a couple pages back

Monk attack animation.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Velensk wrote:it does lack the shoulder spikes that Jester wanted
Oh yeah, sorry about those.
Attachments
flesh_artisan.png
flesh_artisan.png (5.75 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

So uh. :twisted: I went through and modified some of Melon's vampire sprites for a) slight resizing and b) female variations. You might call it a... no, I can't do it. I refuse to make this joke. :evil:

Anyhow, so far the Bloodborn, Fledgling, Noble, Sire, Duelist, and Sword Dancer are done; the Thin Blood line shouldn't take long, but I'll have to draw a whole new sprite for the Methuselem, since Melon didn't like it ^^;
Attachments
sword_dancer-female.png
sword_dancer-female.png (4.48 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
sire-female.png
sire-female.png (4.85 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
vampires.zip
(54.07 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

The fledgeling female looks almost exactly like the male, mostly cuz you can't see her longer hair.

Good stuff anyways. :D
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm going to impliment these, also unless Jester voices a complaint, I'm going to use eternals Flesh Artisin.