Stories of Tarlyn v0.1.1: 2 intertwined campagins

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jyrierik

Post by jyrierik »

I'm running 1.3.14.

Jyri
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Strange, it works just fine over here... can you give me a savegame just before this happens?

(or, upgrade to 1.3.19 and tell me if it still happens)
jyrierik

Post by jyrierik »

I've tried 1.3.19 but it's unstable on my machine. Keeps locking up and crashing, so I've stayed with 1.3.14.

Here's a copy of the savegame just before I get the crash due to the unknown unit type.

BTW, ignore the extension on it. It's text but the system won't take a 164KB texfile so I lied.
Attachments
Crash Turn 4.zip
(162.44 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Well, I'm sorry to say, but 1.3.14 is incompatible with 1.3.19 (the LOYAL_UNIT macro has changed)

see LOYAL_UNIT in
and

From 1.3.16 on it works.
jyrierik

Post by jyrierik »

Well, it's moot now. I got a build of 1.3.19 that works for me so the scenario works also. Back to action.

Jyri
Me1234

Re: Stories of Tarlyn v0.0.7: 2 campagins + multiplayer era

Post by Me1234 »

i have that same problem. unknown unit type "Darsil" i cant even load the campaign on easy. and medium and hard lets me play until the mage comes on. and before he finishes getting into positions i get the same message Unknown unit type Darsil. i am running 1.4.
Confucious say "If you stand on toilet, you high on pot."
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

I fixed the unknown unit problem in my copy. Here's the file that needed fixing: place it in wesnoth/data/campaigns/Tarlyn/scenarios. It's up to you to find the right wesnoth folder. Maybe search for Tarlyn.

AI, in I02, you should consider making the map a little smaller. Just the sheer number of units doing combat each turn tends to make things tedious.

Also, could you base the Peasant Magician sprites off of a different unit? It gets confusing in scenarios like T01, when you have both Peasant Magicians and Peasants.
Attachments
T01_Defence_of_Tarlyn.cfg
T01 for recent versions of wesnoth
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Formerly NeoPhile
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I know that even with simple_targetting, turns simply take too long in I02. That's one of the reasons I marked it as "should possibly be redone completely... it will still be there in current form (though tweaked somewhat) in the next release though. (I'm still trying to fix a segfault in T07)
Exchelsia

Post by Exchelsia »

I just played both of the Irna scenarios, and they seem overall, pretty good, though they definitely need tightening up. On the first one, I would suggest moving the walls a little more north/south, because there isn't much point in going through the side in the forest if both walls are in sight and the people manning them can see and attack you. Also, I don't know if it was just because I was impatient and only recruited 1 keeps worth of guys, on the first scenario, but I was getting massacred, though I was a bit unlucky, and I only beat it because I slipped guys through to kill the leader quickly.

On the second scenario, I would suggest making the map smaller, with fewer villages and inside camp things that have units spawning on, as that would make it less tedious. Also, it wasn't clear to me if you were supposed to have a fighting chance, or if you were supposed to try to get any units out, so I just booked it with my leader and left all the rest of my guys to cover him, and then they all died, so all my guys (which constituted of only my leader) reached the southern hills, so it ended.

Anyways, I hope that helps!

Now I'm off to download 1.3.19 to play the Tarlyn scenarios.
Exchelsia

Post by Exchelsia »

Well I finished all the Tarlyn scenarios, and it all looks pretty good! There were a few things that I noticed. First of all, it gives the Irna leader gold if you finish early, so he can recruit more guys in the next scenario, as opposed to having a set rate, which I thought was odd. Also, the second to last scenario, where you defeat the Irna guy, the map is pretty huge, and I didn't think it really needed to be that big. It took something like 8 turns, with no interference from Irna, just to get to the block-off points. If he got in the way, which he did for me, it takes like 10-12 turns. Oh yeah, I didn't try it, but what happens if you kill him before you block off the places? Do you lose, or what?

On the last scenario, I was bugged by three things. One, is that there was that long corridor to the meadow, which didn't seem to serve any purpose. Two, I didn't even see any undead, though I did just go straight back to the starting place. Three, No matter what type of guy was next to the horse, it was always either a cavalier/dragoon. I specifically worked really hard to get a lot of silver warmages, so it was annoying that that effort kind of went to waste, even though I like cavaliers. I would suggest that even if you use the same sprite, call it something like mounted warmage or something along those lines, with the same stats and more movement.

I hope this helps!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Exchelsia wrote:I just played both of the Irna scenarios, and they seem overall, pretty good, though they definitely need tightening up. On the first one, I would suggest moving the walls a little more north/south, because there isn't much point in going through the side in the forest if both walls are in sight and the people manning them can see and attack you. Also, I don't know if it was just because I was impatient and only recruited 1 keeps worth of guys, on the first scenario, but I was getting massacred, though I was a bit unlucky, and I only beat it because I slipped guys through to kill the leader quickly.
Agreed, that map doesn't work all too well (and it's just about impossible on hard)
On the second scenario, I would suggest making the map smaller, with fewer villages and inside camp things that have units spawning on, as that would make it less tedious. Also, it wasn't clear to me if you were supposed to have a fighting chance, or if you were supposed to try to get any units out, so I just booked it with my leader and left all the rest of my guys to cover him, and then they all died, so all my guys (which constituted of only my leader) reached the southern hills, so it ended.

Anyways, I hope that helps!

Now I'm off to download 1.3.19 to play the Tarlyn scenarios.
Aethyr says you have to make a run for it after the last people wake up, but still, same problem as before applies: 'story' scenarios are a lot harder to make that straight-out battles.

I'll have to remake this map too
Exchelsia wrote:Well I finished all the Tarlyn scenarios, and it all looks pretty good! There were a few things that I noticed. First of all, it gives the Irna leader gold if you finish early, so he can recruit more guys in the next scenario, as opposed to having a set rate, which I thought was odd. Also, the second to last scenario, where you defeat the Irna guy, the map is pretty huge, and I didn't think it really needed to be that big. It took something like 8 turns, with no interference from Irna, just to get to the block-off points. If he got in the way, which he did for me, it takes like 10-12 turns. Oh yeah, I didn't try it, but what happens if you kill him before you block off the places? Do you lose, or what?
Elviy getting gold is the result of setting him as persistent and [endlevel] not being sidespecific, but I can simulate persistance by storing/unstoring.

He escapes and you lose.
If the map is too empty, maybe I'll have to give both sides more gold, but it needs to be that big for scenario #7 (which also takes place there).
On the last scenario, I was bugged by three things. One, is that there was that long corridor to the meadow, which didn't seem to serve any purpose. Two, I didn't even see any undead, though I did just go straight back to the starting place. Three, No matter what type of guy was next to the horse, it was always either a cavalier/dragoon. I specifically worked really hard to get a lot of silver warmages, so it was annoying that that effort kind of went to waste, even though I like cavaliers. I would suggest that even if you use the same sprite, call it something like mounted warmage or something along those lines, with the same stats and more movement.

I hope this helps!
Maybe I should make more clear that everyone just turns into a cavalryman tree unit, because making a mounted version for each unit is too confusing and too much work. (imagine having 20 units looking like dragoons who are in fact, all different units)
The first wave of undead is recruited when you capture your first horse, with another one for every horse and the undead getting massive income when you capture the last.
Still, there's a good chance you won't even see them, but when you do see them, it becomes difficult to even get back alive.

In other words, this map needs redesigning too.

I would like to have released a new version already, but currently wesnoth is crashing on loading scenario #7, claiming something about a duplicate side definition.
Mellar

Post by Mellar »

I'm playing this campaign on Wesnoth 1.4. I had the same unknown unit type "Darsil" error as the other guys had, but thanks to Mathemagicians patch, this was solved. Loading the next scenario "The Saurian Trap" gave me the error unknown unit type "Moran".
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

This is a "late 1.3"-1.4 incompatibility. All these obvious things are already fixed over here, but the state of development means half of the scenarios may not work for different reasons.

I'm working on it. :|
daniel.santos

Re: Stories of Tarlyn v0.1.0: 2 intertwined campagins

Post by daniel.santos »

I'm also getting the "Duplicate side definition for side 4 found" error message (screen shot attached). I'm using pre-built win32 Wesnoth 1.4.4 on (winxp). This is happening when attempting to load "Unexpected Allies" after finishing the horses scenario.
Attachments
about_to_die.gz
ending of horses scenario
(67.21 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
error msg
error msg
AI
Developer

Re: Stories of Tarlyn v0.1.0: 2 intertwined campagins

Post by AI »

Which, considering there really is only 1 side 4, is a rather useless error message.

The *actual* cause is that the map has only 2 starting locations and that I tried to assign different ones for every one of the factions. (which, I recently learned, isn't actually implemented)

Now that I know what the likely cause is, I may finally go about fixing it.