a small request to era-makers

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tsr

a small request to era-makers

Post by tsr »

Hi,

I wonder if it would be feasible to change the ID of the eras in each update so that we can see if we have the same version (since the server now lists unknown era's as such).

/tsr
DEATH_is_undead

Re: a small request to era-makers

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Agreed, but depends on where you get the era. If its in a mappack, with 3 others its not that easy to remember, but if its just one then its allright.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
JW

Post by JW »

WOW!!!! Great idea!! :shock:

I wonder why no one, including myself, thought of this until now!!! :shock:

Very nice suggestion my good man.
Valenwood

Post by Valenwood »

This is one of the best ideas I've heard for a very long time, and it is also very easy to start using! :) I really do hope people will start doing this.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Yeah, why not? For example, making a few mods on the names like "ExtendedEra" or "Extended_Era". Together, we can defeat non-updated players, muhahaha! :twisted:
just kiddin' ^^
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?
tsr

Post by tsr »

dontano wrote:Yeah, why not? For example, making a few mods on the names like "ExtendedEra" or "Extended_Era". Together, we can defeat non-updated players, muhahaha! :twisted:
just kiddin' ^^
Well, I expect release managers for the different eras (it applies to other add-ons to I guess) to name them with a trailing version number...

/tsr
DEATH_is_undead

With maps, OOS doesn't happen much anymore. Personally, I haven't seen it (except with MP Campaign's), So no need with Map packs and stuff.
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Maybe instead of the id, a little notepad changelog thingy which shows the current version and what was changed from last time?
DEATH_is_undead

Already done, but people are lazy, and instead of checking they just say they have it when they don't.
tsr

Post by tsr »

Also the above proposed system shows ingame that you don't have the correct version, I mean it could happen that a new version is released while you are at the server and you don't find out (or something similar) ...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If I understand the suggestion correctly - makes sense, I'll implement it as soon as I have time for the IE and FE.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Valenwood

Post by Valenwood »

Just to clarify, and to actually see if I understood you correctly :) In the era tag, have the id include the current version. Kind of like in this example, using EOM.
Example, wrote:[era]
id=era_EOM_delta2b
[/era]
This way, anyone who does not have this version will see "Unknown era - era_EOM_delta2b" in the lobby, hence knowing if their version is out of date and might need an update.
tsr

Post by tsr »

Valenwood wrote:Just to clarify, and to actually see if I understood you correctly :) In the era tag, have the id include the current version. Kind of like in this example, using EOM.
Example, wrote:[era]
id=era_EOM_delta2b
[/era]
This way, anyone who does not have this version will see "Unknown era - era_EOM_delta2b" in the lobby, hence knowing if their version is out of date and might need an update.
Yes!

/tsr
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

They should only do that, however, if the update isn't compatible. Some updates are art-only.

Are you sure this wouldn't have any problems? I'm not sure if the EoM detector for EE+EoM would be broken, for instance, or how EE would handle EoM being there - surely EE doesn't need an update every time EoM updates too. And last I checked statistics, EoM is more used with EE than alone. And how would the ID be handled for EE+EoM?

EDIT: It's greater than I thought, EE+EoM is used far more than even plain EE and EoM isn't even used noticably alone at all:
639 48.4 % era_default
213 16.1 % era_extended_eom
72 5.4 % era_heroes
62 4.6 % era_extended_default
55 4.1 % SurvivalXtreme_Low_Level_Era
51 3.8 % era_extended
33 2.5 % era_extended_rpg

28 2.1 % anl_era_e
23 1.7 % era_extended_myth_rpg
21 1.5 % era_great_war
This simple request doesn't work well in the age of combined eras. (And I realize that's day view, but extend it a month and you come to similar conclusions still.)
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
JW

Post by JW »

Wow, I wouldn't have thought about that....that's actually very important.....but, I wonder how does EE detect EOM? I believe it adds the units itself, not using premade eras...but I could be wrong.

If it does add as I think, just the detecting of the era would suffice for compatibility, but if it works how I think you imagine it does, it would in fact be broken.

Can anyone check on this situation to be sure?