The Unstoppable Legion - beta5

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris NS

The Unstoppable Legion - beta5

Post by Chris NS »

In the land of Suveran, a kingdom far away from Wesnoth, men speak in fear of the Legion of Zharagorn. Zharagorn, formerly Prince Wolfgang, led an invincible army from the World's End Mountains. All fell before them, until they reached Suveran's capital city, Karasov. And although the legend is strange, it was only when King Eldrian admitted he was wrong to refuse Prince Wolfgang the throne that the legion withdrew.

But the true legend comes seven hundred years later. And though they rose again, they were not the legend. The legend is of a patrol guard names Viktor, and an old man named Deuterus, and how they stood up to the Unstoppable Legion ...

Well, folks, I've finally sussed out wmllint and ported The Unstoppable Legion to Wesnoth 1.4. Please consider this an ALPHA RELEASE as I have done very little bug testing so far. If you do find any bugs, please let me know.

Mods, can you lock the old thread, as there will be no further development of the 1.2 version.

Update: 0.7.0-alhpa2 uploaded to correct broken map link in fourth scenario. Evidently Wesnoth 1.4 has fallen out with apostrophes.
Last edited by Chris NS on August 19th, 2008, 7:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Re: The Unstoppable Legion ported to 1.4 (alpha2 released)

Post by vonHalenbach »

It works. Congratulations for your successful convertation to wml1.4 .
There are some links to pictures wrong:

scenario: 'Silent_Forest'

20080330 10:36:28 error audio: Could not open track '../../Ye_Newe_Melodies_Music_Pack/music/nr-sad.ogg'

20080330 10:40:40 error display: could not open image 'attacks/sword.png'
20080330 10:55:09 error display: could not open image 'projectiles/icemissile-ne.png'
20080330 10:55:09 error display: could not open image 'halo/ice-halo1.png'

20080330 10:55:09 error display: could not open image 'halo/ice-halo2.png'
20080330 10:55:09 error display: could not open image 'halo/ice-halo3.png'
20080330 10:55:09 error display: could not open image 'projectiles/icemissile-ne.png'
20080330 11:14:04 error display: could not open image 'projectiles/icemissile-n.png'

0080330 10:56:22 error display: could not open image 'attacks/throwing club.png'
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

This campain is one I'd like to finish at some point though after playing through the first senario again I'd like to make a quick suggestion. If one of the chaos invaders goes village collecting he will appear on the village where the peasant shows up at, and kill him.

So much for the great sage Deterous

When your leader gets a kill he will still appear, however it will happen in the form of
You
"Die scum!"
Enemy Leader
"That's it someone kill that stupid peasant!"
Deterous
"I am ect"

You can see how this would not work if the peasant is already dead.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

In theory, that's not supposed to happen, because there's an [avoid] tag instructing the baddies not to go south of the river. I'm not 100% convinced this is working because I've seen AI sides sometimes ignore the [avoid] tag if they really feel like it.

Anyway, I've got a change in mind for the first scenario anyway which should address the problem. At the moment I'm concentrating on just making the campaign playable, but I might bring this forward.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Chris NS wrote:Mods, can you lock the old thread, as there will be no further development of the 1.2 version.
Done.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Ok another bug

The senario where there are many orcs and dwarves sluggin it out on a huge moutain where the lich shows up.

When the druid attacks the lich and all the talking afterward is done, the senario does not end.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Sorry for doublepost

I've noticed that many of the turn limits are very restrictive to stratagy. It seems to me that I always finish every lvl I've played in the last 2 turns. Or if I got unlucky and could not break through as quickly the time would run out on me. Luck plays a big role in that due to the fact that your heavy damage dealers are horsemen who are noted for being clumbsy at critical times.

It appears to me as though you budgeted for exactly the amount of time needed (or slightly more) and did not leave much flex.

This does make it more chalanging (which is good), but it also makes bad luck extra annoying, and it's never fun to lose that way.

I do love that this campain is based on cavlary though, (or at least the first part of it). There is something very satisfying about the way the game flows when played in that style.
Chris NS

Re: The Unstoppable Legion ported to 1.4 (alpha3 released)

Post by Chris NS »

It's taken a lot of arguing, but I've finally found the cause of the annoying bug that prevents progression from the sixth scenario. This has been fixed, as as there was a show-stopping bug, I've just uploaded alpha-3.

Bear in mind there are likely to be more serious bugs at this stage, and anyone who wants a playable experience should wait for the betas.

I've had some thoughts about turn limits, but that's later on my list.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Newwer bug reports now

In race against time, if one person falls in the lava everyone takes the damage.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Funny you should mention that.

I've just uploaded a new version to the server which fixes the bug. At least, I think it does.

Please let me know if it persists.

Also fixed the bug in the following scenario where bridges fail to appear. (This may need rebalancing, but that will have to wait.)

EDIT: Now uploaded alpha-5. Hopefully this fixes the last of the gameplay bugs. Still need to play though the last four scenarios to check they work.

EDIT 2: Oh, apparently not. Workaround needed to stop random crashing in The Last Stand. Alpha-6 uploaded.
Chris NS

Re: The Unstoppable Legion (alpha-6, hopefully now playable)

Post by Chris NS »

*Bump*

Okay, I know double-posting is frowned upon, but on this occasion I just wanted to announce that The Unstoppable Legion is now in a beta state for version 1.4. This means that, as far as I know, the campaign now works, although there are still a number of broken images, music links and balancing issues that need resolving.

Please let me know which scenarios you think are too easy or too hard. Some are meant to be harder than others, but some of the hard scenarios are supposed to be easy and vice versa. Also, if enough people complain about a bug, I'll prioritise fixing it. Please especially tell me if any game-crashing bugs have slipped through,
vonHalenbach
Translator

Re: The Unstoppable Legion - now ready for beta testing.

Post by vonHalenbach »

This is good news! Thank you, for your update!
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

There are problems with loading savegames, where are characters "(" and ")" in unit names.
In particular

Commander (Dismounted)
Daemon (materialising)
Winged Daemon (materialising)

My suggestion is to change these to

Dismounted Commander
Materialising Daemon
Materialising Winged Daemon

This should help, I think.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

That's on my things to do list. Seems Wesnoth doesn't like brackets in unit IDs.

At the moment, the code is something like follows:

Code: Select all

id=Commander (Dismounted)
name= _ "Commander (Dismounted)"
I propose to change this to:

Code: Select all

id=Commander Dismounted
name= _ "Commander (Dismounted)"
That should fix the bug without affecting anything seen on the screen.

If anyone has any reason why this isn't going to work, please let me know.

Also, keep letting me know what bugs you find. I don't mind if I already know about it, but it might be one I'm not aware of.
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

This works in game itself, but not in the savegame, because there is it in form i.e.:

Commander (Dismounted)="2"

When you don't have time to play all scenarios in one day, it's unloadable from save without errors.