The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Svenc

Post by Svenc »

Wow, this is an awesome campaign. Not only are the scenarios pretty varied, I also like the choices you get to make in between it all. As I'm a total n00b to this game I'm looking forward to more content like this. :)
garbus

BUG

Post by garbus »

Bugs, I remember in the "Into the Depths" mission:
  • * When I agreed to be a friend with troll's boss, the first round he attacked me, after he agreed be a my ally
    * Deoran had at start to much HP, but after one round it disappeared (with a sound-effect :-) )
FATAL Bugs, I remember in the "Vengeance" mission:
  • * I was able to call from previously missions 2 elvish princess - I forgot name. (together with one, who was living, I had 3 times she !)
    * I was able to call from previously missions 2 ministers - white magicians. (together with one, who was living, I had 3 times he !)
Hope, you will fix it.

Regards, and sorry for my pure English...
SendMeActivation

Bug in the Epilogue map

Post by SendMeActivation »

System: Mac OS X Leopard
Wesnoth version: 1.3.14
Campaign: The South Guard

I finished the Vengeance map and after I clicked the "End Scenario" button to play the next map I got the following error:

An error due to possible invalid WML occurred
The error message is :
A map without a header is not supported

I was also asked to include the following error message:
Condition '!(header_offset == std::string::npos || comma_offset < header_offset)' failed at /Users/lwa/Documents/Wesnoth/wesnoth-1.3.14/MacCompileStuff/../src/map.cpp:342 in function 'read'.

Thanks.

P.S. Great campaign
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

YES!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. The post right above mine
The error message is :

Condition '!(header_offset == std::string::npos || comma_offset < header_offset)' failed at /Users/lwa/Documents/Wesnoth/wesnoth-1.3.14/MacCompileStuff/../src/map.cpp:342 in function 'read'.
is the EXACT problem I've been getting trying to write my own campaign. Which is not working at all. I'll be watching here to see if anyone replies. Thanks.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Bug in the Epilogue map

Post by zookeeper »

SendMeActivation wrote:System: Mac OS X Leopard

I finished the Vengeance map and after I clicked the "End Scenario" button to play the next map I got the following error:

The error message is :

Thanks.

P.S. Great campaign
Check this out.
Jigsawn

Post by Jigsawn »

Hi folks, I am a new player to Wesnoth and this is about the 3rd campaign I've played. I whacked the difficulty up to Hard for the South Guard because I'm quite an experienced strategy player. So far the challenge has been tough but fair - until now.

I'm stuck on the Long March mission. It seems impossible to win - no matter what I do I'm dead within 4 or 5 turns, the Elves or the Undead always kill one of my main characters. I've tried moving them slowly but to no avail.

The version of the game I'm playing is

I start the mission with the following characters:

- Urza lvl 2
- Deoran lvl 1
- Hylas lvl 2
- Gerrick lvl 3
- Swordsman lvl 2
- Longbowman lvl 2

Inevitably the first wave of Elf ambushers or the second waves of Undead/Elf ambushers finish me off, no matter how I alternate tactics.

Does this sound like a bug or a mission imbalance? I can provide a save game if necessary.

For now, I think I'll reload the previous mission and choose to side with the Elves so I can continue the campaign. However I'd quite like to revisit The Long March, so any help would be appreciated!

EDIT - I've attached my save game
Attachments
TSG-The_Long_March.gz
(9.38 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
Jigsawn

Post by Jigsawn »

There's also a few typos in the intro speech in The Long March.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Jigsawn wrote:I'm stuck on the Long March mission. It seems impossible to win - no matter what I do I'm dead within 4 or 5 turns, the Elves or the Undead always kill one of my main characters. I've tried moving them slowly but to no avail.

The version of the game I'm playing is

I start the mission with the following characters:
- Urza lvl 2
- Deoran lvl 1
- Hylas lvl 2
- Gerrick lvl 3
- Swordsman lvl 2
- Longbowman lvl 2
Ugh, I had problems with this level too. You should have your must-survive characters at higher level. When I played (highest skill level) I had:

- Urza lvl 2
- Deoran lvl 3
- Hylas lvl 3
- Gerrick lvl 3
- Swordsman lvl 2
- Longbowman lvl 2

Even so I think that this scenario is unfair, I couldn't beat it "legitimately" either, what I ended up doing was killing the undead and then sneaking Deoran around to the last point and skipping all the ambushes along the way. I doubt this is meant to be possible but it is. Trying to beat it the "right" way always ended up either running out of time (if I took the time to recall troops) or getting killed by the elves (if I didn't).

I'm inclined to say that as of 1.3.14 this level is either impossible to beat properly or at least overly frustrating, it was much harder than the scenarios before and after it, and not in the good-challenge sort of way.
Jigsawn

Post by Jigsawn »

Tonight I tried the other branch, siding with the Elves. The mission after Choice in the Fog was a good challenge (still playing on Hard). "Into the Depths" though is very, very hard. I'm constantly having to fall back on autosaves - Initially I was able to fill my fort up with high level recalled units (a Pikeman, Rangers, Longbowmen, etc, and was able to recruit plenty of Elven fighters and Spearmen to bolster up my forces. I get absolutely mashed though - mainly by the Deathblades. Normally it takes about 3 or 4 troops to gang up on one Deathblade and kill it, if I'm lucky, or Hylas can deal with one if he can reach one (though this often leaves him exposed). And the hardest bit to keep everyone alive is crossing the wooden bridge - Deathblades attack from the water and kill the weaker characters or target your "can't die" characters.

Am I suffering from having upgraded the wrong kinds of units earlier in the campaign, or is this another mission suffering from this version of the game?

Incidentally, I did manage to reach the boss after a few hours, but only with the "can't die" characters, a lvl 1 spearman, and a lvl 3 longbowman. I only managed to come in sight of the castle before I ran out of turns :(
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

zookeeper, i'd been to that link already, that only works if I'm trying to use the {NO_MAP_DATA} macro. I tried to write my own campaign and i was getting that. I think there's something wrong with my file linking, when i used ~/data/campaigns/mycampaign/maps, ~/data/campaigns/mycampaign/scenarios, etc., I stop getting the map header error and get instead "Unknown Scenario", but I get the map header error if i use @campaigns/mycampaign/maps or @campaigns/mycampaign/scenarios, like the mainline campaigns do. I have a post under "The Raven of Ricas", I'd really appreciate it if you took a look at it. I hope I didn't use bad form by posting here but zookeeper posted that link and I thought I'd answer by saying it didn't work for me
Lexx

Re: Bug in the Epilogue map

Post by Lexx »

zookeeper wrote:
SendMeActivation wrote:System: Mac OS X Leopard

The error message is :

Thanks.

P.S. Great campaign
Check this out.
Unfortunately, that did not fix it for me.
St.John

Re: Beginner Campaign: The South Guard

Post by St.John »

is there a record of how many elves you can get to be up against you in the vengeance level?
i kinda decided halfway through that i would give it a shot and ended up with just 120
but i really think there should be a competition or something
Shasaar

Re:

Post by Shasaar »

Jigsawn wrote:"Into the Depths" though is very, very hard.
I'm just a beginner and played the lvls before that in a great way, without much problems but "Into the depths" is really heavy.

Played for about 3 hours now and lost after 60 rounds with only half map cleared.
I really don't know what i can do to get a better chance, i already played as good as on the maps before.

Is there a chance to shut off the round limit?
It's calculated very limited and most of the time it's a pain in the arse.

Thanks for any help, otherwise it's a great game ... :)

Shasaar
Chuckiferd

Post by Chuckiferd »

Quick question about Long March and Ill;

I chose the side of the Bandits and then the next level of course the elves are all mad at me and start ambushing me, the problem I have is that there is two elf factions that fight each other for no reason, but what it does do is make it a heck of alot easier for me but, at times the blue faction units switch from blue to green making it alot harder for me, so whats up
Olshanski

Post by Olshanski »

Possible bug:

I am playing 1.4.4, and using the campaign that came with the game.
In the battle "Tidings Good or Ill", I was able to recall any of my units - halberdier, swordsman, etcetera. Then, during the next scenario "into the depths", the units that I used in "Tidings goodor ill" were no longer available.