Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Elventree

Post by anakayub »

A bit off topic, but related to the original idea:

Why not make other faction-specific variations of terrain? Something from the top of my head include the (already-available) Loyalist windmill, and good spriters can create others such as an Orcish wasteland (hill), Dwarvish mine (mountain), and Undead camp (pile of bones/debris on grassland). This would definitely allow for greater variety of terrain with cool looks. When done with good quality, I'm sure Doc would use them in mainline MP maps, not to mention all of the campaign developers.

(I hope such a thing has not been obviously done, because I don't play campaigns, only MP for which this is not available.)
Take a breath.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Shadow Master wrote:All of them are quite good, and what Geos suggests can be done. However, I'd suggest to reduce the contrast of the lower part of the trees, those greenie bright things that look like stairs; they are too shiny in comparison with the tree and the building on the top.
I reduced the contrast with a gimp feature.
Better now?
great-tree1_neu2.png
great-tree1_neu2.png (15.62 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

I would love these to get mainlined. If these don't get mainlined for some reason I would be happy to implement these into my campaign. As there is an Elven kingdom in my campaign. I assume there is workin WML for these.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Espreon wrote:I would love these to get mainlined. If these don't get mainlined for some reason I would be happy to implement these into my campaign. As there is an Elven kingdom in my campaign. I assume there is workin WML for these.
You wanted them to be villages?
This isn't hard to do.

terrain.cfg:

Code: Select all

[terrain]
symbol_image=village/elventree-tile
id=elventree_village
name= _ "Elventree"
string=Gs^Vet
aliasof=Fp,Vh
heals=8
gives_income=true
editor_group=village,forest
[/terrain]
_final.cfg:

{SHEX *^Vet   village 100 village/elventree1}
I haven't done a elventree-tile.png that represents it in the editor and in the minimap.
This would have to go to data/core/images/terrain/village/elventree-tile.png.

copy one of the png with transparent background to data/core/images/terrain/village/elventree1.png.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

fabi wrote:
Espreon wrote:I would love these to get mainlined. If these don't get mainlined for some reason I would be happy to implement these into my campaign. As there is an Elven kingdom in my campaign. I assume there is workin WML for these.
You wanted them to be villages?
This isn't hard to do.

terrain.cfg:

[terrain]
symbol_image=village/elventree-tile
id=elventree_village
name= _ "Elventree"
string=Gs^Vet
aliasof=Fp,Vh
heals=8
gives_income=true
editor_group=village,forest
[/terrain]
_final.cfg:

{SHEX *^Vet   village 100 village/elventree1}
I haven't done a elventree-tile.png that represents it in the editor and in the minimap.
This would have to go to data/core/images/terrain/village/elventree-tile.png.

copy one of the png with transparent background to data/core/images/terrain/village/elventree1.png.
OK, thank you very much! Now these play nicely with on maps? Meaning it will look natural with transitions? Could you do a snowy variant of these?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

fabi wrote:
Shadow Master wrote:All of them are quite good, and what Geos suggests can be done. However, I'd suggest to reduce the contrast of the lower part of the trees, those greenie bright things that look like stairs; they are too shiny in comparison with the tree and the building on the top.
I reduced the contrast with a gimp feature.
Better now?Image
Yes, lovely better! :D
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Espreon wrote:OK, thank you very much! Now these play nicely with on maps? Meaning it will look natural with transitions? Could you do a snowy variant of these?
You are welcome :D
The new terrain tile inherits the transitions from grasland.
I can't see any problem within the 1.5svn version of wesnoth_editor.
There is no bigtree snow variant so this request isn't that easy.
Last edited by fabi on March 28th, 2008, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

anakayub wrote:A bit off topic, but related to the original idea:

Why not make other faction-specific variations of terrain? Something from the top of my head include the (already-available) Loyalist windmill, and good spriters can create others such as an Orcish wasteland (hill), Dwarvish mine (mountain), and Undead camp (pile of bones/debris on grassland). This would definitely allow for greater variety of terrain with cool looks. When done with good quality, I'm sure Doc would use them in mainline MP maps, not to mention all of the campaign developers.

(I hope such a thing has not been obviously done, because I don't play campaigns, only MP for which this is not available.)
Who or what is Doc?

I always wondered in which housings the drakes reside. Or aren't they sedentary?
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Doc Paterson, the MP dev in charge of official maps. :)

I'm not sure bout drakes...but how bout Drakish egg nests? Drakes in Wesnoth are a bit nomadic as far as I know, living in clans (I'm referring to my memory based on the Flight for Freedom campaign).
Take a breath.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

fabi wrote:
anakayub wrote:A bit off topic, but related to the original idea:

Who or what is Doc?

I always wondered in which housings the drakes reside. Or aren't they sedentary?
Doc makes MP maps.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

cloned some of the leaves back and did some minor changes.
elventree1.png
elventree1.png (16.6 KiB) Viewed 3641 times
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

fabi wrote:
Espreon wrote:OK, thank you very much! Now these play nicely with on maps? Meaning it will look natural with transitions? Could you do a snowy variant of these?
You are welcome :D
The new terrain tile inherits the transitions from grasland.
I can't see any problem within the 1.5svn version of wesnoth_editor.
There is no bigtree snow variant so this request isn't that easy.
I beg of you to make a snowy variant! It would blend in with scenarios that involve elves when those elves live in very snowy areas. But I hope it wouldn't be drastically hard, I wouldn't know as the only area in art I am adept in is sculpting.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Espereon wrote:I beg of you to make a snowy variant! It would blend in with scenarios that involve elves when those elves live in very snowy areas. But I hope it wouldn't be drastically hard, I wouldn't know as the only area in art I am adept in is sculpting.
The redwood can't survive in cold climate.
I think it survives some weeks with snow a year but it's not at home in very snowy areas.
Having snowy redwoods in wesnoth would be fine.
Pherhaps it's not that hard since the shape of the tree is allready present.
Why don't you give the gimp a try?
You can start with cloning ice from the snow villages for example.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

fabi wrote:
Espereon wrote:I beg of you to make a snowy variant! It would blend in with scenarios that involve elves when those elves live in very snowy areas. But I hope it wouldn't be drastically hard, I wouldn't know as the only area in art I am adept in is sculpting.
The redwood can't survive in cold climate.
I think it survives some weeks with snow a year but it's not at home in very snowy areas.
Having snowy redwoods in wesnoth would be fine.
Pherhaps it's not that hard since the shape of the tree is allready present.
Why don't you give the gimp a try?
You can start with cloning ice from the snow villages for example.
I can only recolor things in the GIMP. Also Wesnoth is not the real world so with Wesnoth's infinte boundraies you can let your creations flow!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

I will release a packed file for campaign developers with this version.
Any suggestions?
Attachments
elventree1.png
elventree1.png (16.62 KiB) Viewed 3407 times