Eltireans - story&unit lines design stage

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elerias

Eltireans - story&unit lines design stage

Post by Elerias »

After following wesnoth boards for a few months I decided to try to create my own faction. The work is gonna be very slow so please dont expect much from it. I also dont want any art or such help until I am sure i will be able to finish the coding. Comments and critique on the idea,names and units are of course welcomed.

Faction story design – concept done - gonna be polished smtime.
Unit lines design – basically done - thinking of adding one more line
Setting unit stats – done - changes after testing
Coding – units base done.
Art development – about to start
Testing – in progress within Era of Strife

Eltireans

The nation living in a few cities in the sky called flying Isles. These cities seem like clouds from the ground and are even magicaly hidden, so no flyers can come so near to the cloud, that they would be able to recognise them as cities. Their only enemy was the race of silver drakes (faction to be done after this one). These creatures found out the way to get through the magic barrier of the cities and found them a very good place to settle new nests. So the long fight began. Even with their excellent knowledge of magic the fight didnt seem to come to the good end. The high council of Eltireans decided to send some of the people to the surface to make new settlements in case sky cities will fall to the enemy`s hands. Eltire, patron of Eltireans, former mage of light, who possesed so incredible power that he became the half god in the form of pure light, agreed to use his magic to open the gate for the people to get to the surface. It was decided to send mostly young people lead by some of the patriarchs. They were given all the necessary equipment, weapons, food and scrolls containing knowledge of the nation and finally set for the long journey.

This is the exact moment Eltireans are in now. The story seems to me to be ready for the start of the campaign. Actually i have two in my mind. The second will describe the return to the sky cities with some help, they got on their journey to the surface and fighting the silver drakes, but I dunno if i ever finish the faction so no need to discuss campaigns:D.

Units planned so far:
The cult of Eltire – the main theological wave on flying Isles. Followers gather in monasteries where they learn to live in a way Eltire teaches them in his books of knowledge. It cant be called religion as the teaching is more knowledge based than faith based even if Eltire himself is worshipped as god. Followers gain the powers of light during the training and are capable of using them in both ways. Destructive and creative. Disciples of Eltire are usually lightly armored with ceremonial robes wielding the small wand in shape of the candlestick which is more a symbol than a usefull weapon.

Elemental guild represents the second choice for the scholars among the Eltireans. It deals with three of four main elements. Fire, Water and Wind. Probably because of the nature of the Eltirean home they dont find the Earth element important. There are two ways the guild Initiates specialize in. The Elementalists are wizards capable of calling fire upon the enemies or freeze them with blizzard attacks and The Wind Riders who sacrificed raw power in favor of ability to change themeslves. They move in the etereal form of wind and are used as outstanding scouts within Eltirean army.

The barracks – Those not skilled with magic nor faihtful enough who wish to be part of Eltirean forces become the warriors. Of course it won´t be on the flying isles if there wasnt some magic included but the warriors use the magic in the form of enchanted weapons and armor. The adepts in barracks are often called the Glory Seekers when they come to be trained. They can specialize in many weapons as well as in leadership skills. Eltirean women usually abandon the melee capabilities in favor of mastering the bow-gun. Small semi-automatic one hand crosbow created by Eltirean engineers. These weapons are so small, they can be used in defense against melee attacks

Council Guard – Extremely talented warriors who come to the barracks are instead taken to the monasteries of Eltire, where they are learned the secrets of efective fighting and especially defense. After that they are accepted to the council guard and equiped with the best armors available to the Eltirean people. These guardsmen are feared fighters following high council members everywhere they go. People say they can call heat strikes from nowhere but nobody can confirm.

I also wanted do design some sort of bard/spellsinger line but its not the story core line so mb it is gonna be added later to add some favour/solve possible balance problems.
Last edited by Elerias on April 28th, 2008, 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Eltireans - story&unit lines design stage

Post by inferno8 »

Funny... Eltireans are just like Enlightened-ones from my Era of Magic. When I was planning them I imagined that they're living on flying islands (Zeal Kingdom from Chrono Trigger was my inspiration 8) ), completly isolated with their high culture. They don't use Earth Magic too :)

The story is GREAT. :D I can help you if you want, but for now I must finish my own era (it still needs some corrections). :wink:
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Elerias

Post by Elerias »

small update: unit tree added to the first post with some stats. I think sparx systems would be surprised what their enterprise architect can be used for. :)

edit: Some slight changes made so far. The Flame Sister was cut in favor of the Temptress which is a fragile assasin unit featuring both backstab stiletto and poisonous bow gun. She is probably a little too powerfull but doesnt have any hiding options and is very easily killable even by lvl 1 fighters. I will change the unit tree as soon as i get to my pc.
Elerias

Post by Elerias »

project status updated. Eltireans are part of Era of Strife now and are in testing. Next step is art creation which i am much scared of as i was always terrible artist at school:D.