Updating the Map Designer

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xonev
Code Contributor

Updating the Map Designer

Post by xonev »

Hey everyone. I am considering improving the Wesnoth Map Designer. I would like to know what features/updates people would like to see in the map designer. Please post any ideas here.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Updating the Map Designer

Post by turin »

This might require changes in how the terrain WML itself is done, but I'd like to be able to determine which random terrain variation was placed where. What I mean by this is - with the mountain terrain, for example, there are mountain chains (going NE-SW and NW-SE), two different mountains taking up a 4-hex diamond, and a few one-hex mountain hexes. I'd like to be able to force some given diamond of 4 hexes to be one of the mountains that takes up exactly that space, rather than having it sometimes be displayed as 4 different one-hex mountains.

Did that make sense? It's kind of hard to explain without screenshots.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Well a nice feature would be to fix the copy/paste function in the map editor. It currently doesn't work properly. Selecting parts of the map to copy and pasting chunks of map is unpredictable at best. ;)

This would also be very useful for example if you wanted to add an additional row or two of hexes (increase the canvas size), without having to redraw the rest of the map by hand.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
xonev
Code Contributor

Post by xonev »

turin wrote:This might require changes in how the terrain WML itself is done, but I'd like to be able to determine which random terrain variation was placed where. What I mean by this is - with the mountain terrain, for example, there are mountain chains (going NE-SW and NW-SE), two different mountains taking up a 4-hex diamond, and a few one-hex mountain hexes. I'd like to be able to force some given diamond of 4 hexes to be one of the mountains that takes up exactly that space, rather than having it sometimes be displayed as 4 different one-hex mountains.

Did that make sense? It's kind of hard to explain without screenshots.
turin - So what your saying is that you would like to be able to choose the particular aesthetics of a set of terrain hexes? (such as being able to choose one big 4-hex mountain instead of it randomly choosing 4 separate mountain models - 1 for each hex)

jb - thanks for the suggestions.

To be honest with you all, I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the map editor (although I plan to change that soon :P ) so the more suggestions the better.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

turin wrote:This might require changes in how the terrain WML itself is done, but I'd like to be able to determine which random terrain variation was placed where. What I mean by this is - with the mountain terrain, for example, there are mountain chains (going NE-SW and NW-SE), two different mountains taking up a 4-hex diamond, and a few one-hex mountain hexes. I'd like to be able to force some given diamond of 4 hexes to be one of the mountains that takes up exactly that space, rather than having it sometimes be displayed as 4 different one-hex mountains.
I've craved this for such a long time.

Such a feature would do a great service to the aesthetic of the official maps. :)

(Obviously campaigns would be greatly aided as well.)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Maybe a "Warning: This map has no sides!" if you save maps without sides. I always forget them :oops:
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa