Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Art for Legend of Wesmere: Legmir

Post by kitty »

i'm in the process of doing portraits and story art for Legend of Wesmere.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2911

i plan to do 17 portraits at the moment (in order of appearance):

stil missing:

o ???????

- you see, it's a little epic work... :lol2:
(finished ones will be added to this post)

Attachments
landar03-slim.png
landar03-slim.png (52.34 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
Last edited by kitty on April 30th, 2008, 9:49 pm, edited 19 times in total.
kitty

Re: Art for Legend of Wesmere

Post by kitty »

and here is the first one: velon. an elvish elder: basically too old to fight and too old to live.

any c&c, please?
Attachments
velon01.png
velon01.png (79.84 KiB) Viewed 7486 times
earthboy

Post by earthboy »

how old he is?

I supposed that elves were a long live race. Anyway, you drew your old elf well.n I hope you draw the other elves like you draw the elvish archer and elvish shaman potraits. But, I myself, would like the green cloth rather than brown.
I'm sorry if my English is bad and not comprehensible...
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

earthboy wrote:how old he is?

I supposed that elves were a long live race. Anyway, you drew your old elf well.n I hope you draw the other elves like you draw the elvish archer and elvish shaman potraits. But, I myself, would like the green cloth rather than brown.
I think the brown is exceptionally fitting for a character in the autumn of their life...
kitty

Post by kitty »

according to the help wesnothian elves live up to two centuries (if unharmed by illness, accident or war), then growing frail and passing away very quickly. :eng:
velon is in this age - he is tired of life. he doesn't even want to fight the orcs and bargain instead ...

it was strange for me to do an "old" elf, showing the signs of his age. i'm used to the tolkinesque elves who don't get old at all... velon looks more "human" because of this - physical decrease such as folds are very human and not very elvish to me.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

kitty wrote: o kalenz young
o kalenz old
o delfador young
Quick note:
Feel free to redesign Kalenz however you see fit. Costuming, especially - I'm not keen on the effete "cloak draped over the arm" that he currently sports. In fact, if you're up for it, I wouldn't mind a new portrait of kalenz for HttT - if one of the images from here is appropriate in age, i'd be game for using it.

I would like delfador to remain similar to the current HttT portrait in physical appearance - his costuming can be totally different, but I'd like his facial appearance, and that slight "Gepetto" look, as some have described it, to remain the same. I don't want our wizard character to be another damn merlin/gandalf clone; as much as those are endearing in their original, uncopied forms, they become tired in their cliched imitations. As a younger man, he's probably also a lot less bald - your call as to whether he has brown hair or black hair.

This first portrait you've made thus far is looking great! :D
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
earthboy

Post by earthboy »

Darker_Dreams wrote: I think the brown is exceptionally fitting for a character in the autumn of their life...
And blue in the winter :lol: No, I'm just joking!
anyway, I agree with you! :)
Kitty wrote: it was strange for me to do an "old" elf, showing the signs of his age. i'm used to the tolkinesque elves who don't get old at all... velon looks more "human" because of this - physical decrease such as folds are very human and not very elvish to me.
IMHO, you should reduce the wrinkles (folds) of his face, white haired but with handsome face! :mrgreen:
I'm sorry if my English is bad and not comprehensible...
cretin

Post by cretin »

wow this is a huge undertaking kitty, good luck.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

His appearance manifests well the frailty of someone who used to be great.

I'm little troubled with the foreshortenings of the both forearms, the shape of the arms underneath is too hidden, even taking account the puffiness of the sleeves. Few strategic wrinkles around the bend of the elbow might do wonders.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The saturated brown of the lineart for his various areas of skin looks very odd to me when it's next to the desaturated greyish skin tones you've used (which look great by the way, they really add a sense of age). Desaturating them a bit would be good. That aside, this is nice work =)

Must play LoW to see what all the fuss is about =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

On a second look, the lighting might need some tweaking too. The general light direction is as indicated by the blue arrow. The area indicated by the green arrow should therefore be in light, it's not in the shadow of the body because the arm extends forward.

Also, the sword, especially the hilt, could be a bit more illuminated to stand out better, because it's the foremost object of the image.
Attachments
velon02.png
velon02.png (80.03 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I think the pose, clothes, and face all looks very nice! I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the otherss.

Groovy - I think you are right about the lighting issue in that corner, although I would have never noticed it myself.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Great portrait. You might try to make his outfit a bit more "imperial-looking", i.e. more flashy: After all he is also one of the renowned typical elvish know-it-all snub that dwarves love so much 8)
This is not really necessary though-in the storyline the forestthey live in is kind of isolated. I'm also not sure he needs a sword in the portrait. Though he does eventually fight and gives Kalenz time to escape
fighting is not his top priority
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Regarding Jetry's comment, LoW uses Delf twice: One when he is a very young mage, chasing Iliah-Malal and
saving Garard in the process, while the second saving Eldred(a bit before HttT). While we could use
the HttT portrait in the second case(or something close to it), it is completely inappropriate for the young Delf
that first comes in contact with Kalenz and gets a little gift that helps him fight Iliah-Malal...(end of spoilers)
kitty

Post by kitty »

thank you all for your kind comments! :)

i've got a revised velon and a new portrait for landar. landar is one of the main characters. he is descibed as a guy who is seriously unhappy with pretty much everybody: orcs, humans, dwarves and even weak elves. he is a important npc in the first half of the campaign, but turns evil later...

@ jetryl: that's a nice opportunity! kalenz is the next one, we will see if you will like my take on him... and of course i'll try to stay close to the established delfador look.

@ groovy: thanks for the critics! something bothered me about his arms, too - i repainted them.

@ spaceinvader: you're right about the lines - they were in my standart skin outline clour, but the skin is not in the standart colour... i made them more grey-ish.

@ santi: thank you for your comments!
if you have that kind of detailed imagination of one of your characters it would be really, really great if you could send/pm/post it here *before* i start drawing. that is why i asked you for character descriptions... changing e.g. velon's outfit and pose would mean that i have to start completly from scratch again :( . so please: if you have a detailed idea of how one of them should look like (colour, outfit, props, hairdo - everything), communicate it *before* i start working.... :D
thus: should i do a new flashy, swordless velon? :hmm:
Attachments
landar01.png
landar01.png (90.3 KiB) Viewed 6808 times
velon02.png
velon02.png (80.64 KiB) Viewed 6791 times