Scenario Review: DiD 1 - Saving Parthyn

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DiD 1 - Saving Parthyn

Post by Content Feedback »

A review of Saving Parthyn - the starting scenario of Descent into Darkness

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
miekka

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 1 - Saving Parthyn

Post by miekka »

1. Easy
2. 3, I managed to defeat the leader
3. Very clear
4. Good and interesting, nice starting point of a story
5. Well, I've got only corpses, a spearman and a bowman? No worry about XP gain :P
6. 5.
7. None, it's fine as it is.
8. Dunno WML.
tvik

Post by tvik »

(1) Uh... Normal ? Don't remember
(2) 1
(3) Very Clear
(4) It's a nice intro, but to be honest it made me leave the campain. I've got back to it few weeks after that. Don't know what made me leave it. Maybe the fact, that I wanted a full feature kill-all-the-living-undead-turbo-action and instead I got a human with doubts and a band of terribly slow zombies
(5) I've tried to exp and save humans, not knowing how unnecessary it was.
(6) 4 - I enjoy battle chaos. Yet zombies and a weak kid as a leader are boring
(7) Nothing - anything I've mentioned is just mu
(8) Yup. I've tried to go berserk with Malin.
blue

Post by blue »

1. Evoker (challenging) 1.6.4
2. 3
3. Crystal Clear
4. Very nice starting storyline
5. None
6. 4
7. Nothing its fine for a starting scenario
8. None
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

1. medium, 1.6x
2. 3
3. Crystal Clear
4. nice, logical start
5. None
6. 5
7. well, fighting with nearly just corpses is a bit boring. And I hoped I would keep the loyal humans.
8. No.
nils78

Post by nils78 »

1) Neophyte (normal)/1.5.6
2) 5
3) very clear
4) It's quite nice and made me sympathetic to the character
5) I'm still a beginner, so it took me a while to figure out that I best have my troops defend the shore instead of charging across the fjord
6) 8
7) None
8) Rookie beginner's mistake of charging ahead with my leader and getting him killed
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (hard); 1.8.3

Not so clear. I wish the objectives would say so when it would suffice to kill the enemy leader or the enemy forces.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Excellent, except I don't like the words to the effect of, "Well, it's still several weeks before the orcs would normally raid the village, but I feel it's necessary to launch a raid on their distant base now." (Turns around to see an orc scowling at him.) "Oh... crap."

I'd prefer if there wasn't this coincidence of timing. Better would be if they were on a training exercise for an upcoming early raid on the orcs when the orcs surprised them by raiding the village very early.

Learning how to use walking corpses.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
This scenario has the usual problem of the enemy leader being alone after his assault wave has been annihilated. Give the guy an emergency gold reserve for when any troops get near the orc stronghold.

And/or weaken the ally. His forces crushed the assault wave in one turn (albeit, the wave was weakened by my forces.)

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Lost my leader, so I restarted from turn 1.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Good, but in the comments it says it's extremely unlikely to totally defeat the orcs, whereas I did it on hard while feeling rather incompetent with commanding walking corpses, and one other reviewer above did it too.
Attachments
DID-Saving_Parthyn_replay.gz
(15.57 KiB) Downloaded 1912 times
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

1.8.3 Hard.

Clear enough.

It was ok.

Nothing... Really, nothing at all. Once you know that there is no point in trying to level up those loyal units, you can very well finish the scenario without even recruiting a single WC.

4. Not much to do to be honest.

Nerf your allie so that you have to take a more active part in the fight.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

N/A.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Hard

2. I killed orc leader on turn 13 and could have done it sooner but I was setting up my hero to get kill (and it probably took me a turn to realize "hey, I can go kill the orc leader").

I'm was not sure what the loss condition of "Orcs break through the river fort defenses" meant. I see from looking at the WML it's if the orcs get past some horizontal line.

Very good.

Trying to get my hero some experience. Ally kept stealing all my kills.

6, it's always fun playing a new creature type and walking corpses qualify. I never got close to leveling one though as they appear to be made of tissue paper.

Ally seems a little too strong.

no.

Looks good.
Attachments
DID-Saving_Parthyn_replay.gz
(15.59 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging (medium) 1.8.5

6 - a few restarts to keep my loyal troops alive.

Go kill the punk.

Good.

Not getting my human units killed.

I finished in round 12/15, with 37 gold.

8- Its fun to play with meatshields.

None.

Losing a human troop.
sacred_chao

Post by sacred_chao »

In the initial screen of the campaign, there is a graphical glitch where the text caption section of the screen overlaps the art.
Attachments
Descent into Darkness Screenshot.JPG
All things are true. Especially false things.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

sacred_chao wrote:In the initial screen of the campaign, there is a graphical glitch where the text caption section of the screen overlaps the art.
Yeah, the story art is too small.

EDIT: Gonna give this campaign another go, this time on the hardest difficulty which is a first for me on an intermediate level campaign. (I'd started it on Challenging, 1.9.4 before, but didn't play the rest of the campaign)

Summoner (Difficult), 1.11.2

2, I killed the orc leader easily

Clear enough. I didn't know exactly where I couldn't let the orcs pass through, though it didn't matter anyway since they never even made it half-way across the ford anyway.

Very interesting.

None.

5. Well, killing the orc leader is fun, but shouldn't it be harder? The objectives suggest you're only suppose to survive.

Give the orc leader some more income. Enough so he'd recruit a good first wave and then continually recruit 1 to 2 units every turn.

No.

The only part I would comment better is the fact that defeating the orcs isn't unlikely to happen.
Attachments
DiD-Saving_Parthyn_replay.gz
(18.91 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
Last edited by Pewskeepski on April 22nd, 2013, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Normal (Challenging) 1.8.5

2. Most "defend" scenarios put you at a numerical disadvantage instead of an advantage.

Not very clear. "Don't let them past the signpost" would make more sense.

The result if you don't recruit any units felt awkward, but otherwise fine.

Self-imposed limitations.

6. It's a nice chance to poke around with Walking Corpses, and it's short and easy enough not to drag.

I would either make a little alternate "they all lived adequately ever after" ending if you go through the stage without any necromancy, or just auto-summon some Walking Corpses at the start of the stage. I don`t think the choice here provides anything other than mucking up the story. Even if you take the normal path, it doesn`t feel terribly personal since the rest of the hero`s "descent into darkness" happens automatically.

Misjudged what "hold the fort" meant.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

4. Although at first glance holding the orcs looks like a nightmare, there are certain opening moves that guarantee a victory no matter how unlucky you get, so all you need to do is understand the proper way to play this scenario (BTW, note that I won this scenario by defeating the orc leader)

Clear enough. Well, at least I hope that I understood correctly it means "stop them from crossing the river and reach dry land".

The dialogue successfully sets up the beginning of the story; it also makes you like Malin and see things from his perceptive.

None. I easily figured out the best tactic, and the rest is not difficult.

9, in spite of being so short. The reasons include the unusual objective and unit mix, the challenge to use your limited resources as best as possible, the need to carefully plan every move.

I really doubt this can get more fun, at least for my taste.

No
Linux. Space technology.
micdy

Post by micdy »

Dont remember this specific mission enough, would be difficult to rate it, sorry.

But i just wanted to say it would be great to have more Campain where we have to play undead like "Descent into Darkness" its fun and its different from always playing dwarf and elve :)