Extended and other stuff. Slow progress ... as usual

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

I see what you mean, I tried adding a few darker pixels for the rotor effect and work on extra frames.

I have trouble with those legs, but I'll work it out.
Attachments
Made a rough outline, cut the circle so that you can guess the chain and see the motion.
Made a rough outline, cut the circle so that you can guess the chain and see the motion.
hunter-attackhelic.png (3.15 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re: Extended and other stuff. Slow progress ... as usual

Post by Neoskel »

If i'm not wrong there were some tc'ed chaos dudes made here, yet when i added on extended, only the invoker line had tc. What gives?

Also, is nyone gonna fix that stray line on the Flesh Hound base frame?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I'm currently working on upgrading the L1 Chaos Invader sprites. The new baseframe had been lying around in my campaign for quite a long time, but just yesterday (in 1 hour) I applied the upgrades to the defense anim. frame. At that rythm, I suppose I'll have the others done shortly.

EDIT:
Neoskel wrote:If i'm not wrong there were some tc'ed chaos dudes made here, yet when i added on extended, only the invoker line had tc. What gives?
I noticed that yesterday too. The maintainers seem to have missed them.
Attachments
invader-defend.png
invader-defend.png (1.03 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
invader.png
invader.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Um, i kinda like the current/old invader without white eyes better. It looks much more menacing. Also the new helm doesn't look quite as good either. I don't think the base frame really needs a change other than tc really.

The sprite itself is, of course, not bad. It just doesn't seem to match the chaos faction as well... :?
earthboy

Post by earthboy »

what the magenta is? Is it a robe. If yes, I think it's too short.
I'm sorry if my English is bad and not comprehensible...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I was not sure what the hell was that brown thing on the Invader's back of the original sprite by Neoriceisgood, so I assumed it was a short robe. Of course I can lengthen it, but I'd rather reserve it for upper levels of the unit tree. The same for the eyes; the L1 IMO doesn't have to look too menacing, thus we can hide his eyes after L2.

This is, of course, just my personal taste. You vote. :D

edit: OK, it seems it'll take me a day for each animation frame. I have just finished polishing the 1 melee frame. Not publishing it until the set is complete, though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Well, if those are the ones that get into the era, i'm saving the old ones and using them instead....

The new guy doesn't just look unintimidating, he looks downright goofy.

I mean, they don't need a redo. Just tc.
earthboy

Post by earthboy »

Shadow Master wrote: I was not sure what the hell was that brown thing on the Invader's back of the original sprite by Neoriceisgood, so I assumed it was a short robe. Of course I can lengthen it, but I'd rather reserve it for upper levels of the unit tree. The same for the eyes; the L1 IMO doesn't have to look too menacing, thus we can hide his eyes after L2.
Short robe, just like Age of Empires II's champion. Alright, but I feel weird about his eyes, what if you hid it although he's still L1, that would be good. You didn't create "funny" version of the Chaos Legion didn't you?

one more, what about gray for the colour of his "pants".
I'm sorry if my English is bad and not comprehensible...
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Okay, heres what i mean. The invader doesn't really need to be changed. Improved yes, but not changed. I remember the first time i saw them, "those guys look bad ass man!".

The new one is bigger for some reason and the dome of the helmet is also too high. The black armor on the old one looks better than the new color and the new one's sword is a tad short. Also the new one switched the chainmail skirt out for a headhunter's loincloth for some reason.

I've attached a comparison.

And tced old sprites cuz i just figued out how.
Attachments
invader-attack1.png
invader-attack1.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
i changed nothing but the tc
i changed nothing but the tc
invader.png (1.85 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
left is the new one.
left is the new one.
invader before and after.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
Last edited by Neoskel on March 13th, 2008, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

More tced inveders
Attachments
invader-attack3.png
invader-attack3.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
invader-attack3.png
invader-attack3.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
invader-attack2.png
invader-attack2.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Last tced invader and other tced stuff, some were edited from shadow master's work
Attachments
I think the white things are spikes sticking out, its tc, but the palest shade
I think the white things are spikes sticking out, its tc, but the palest shade
elite-armorer.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
armorer.png
armorer.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
invader-move.png
invader-move.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
Last edited by Neoskel on March 13th, 2008, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

The Headhunter line. Mostly Shadow Master's work, but i'm putting them here so that people will notice them.
Attachments
This was edited using parts from Shadow Master's work, including the axe. Shadow Master's one in his campaign is missing the quiver, has a healthier skin tone and the eyes are kinda messed up.
This was edited using parts from Shadow Master's work, including the axe. Shadow Master's one in his campaign is missing the quiver, has a healthier skin tone and the eyes are kinda messed up.
soulhunter.png (3.15 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
read below
read below
marauder.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
This is pretty much all Shadow Master's work, but i'm putting it here so it can catch attention
This is pretty much all Shadow Master's work, but i'm putting it here so it can catch attention
headhunter.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
Last edited by Neoskel on March 13th, 2008, 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Hey, didn't the old limit used to be 4 images a post? Then i would have one less gimpy post here. This is a wrap up of what i'm using right now.

Shadow Master, you do good work with sprites, but please don't try to fix what ain't broken...

I mean, i can pretty much do tc work and thats it. Not particularly well, but i have a little spare time to do it in.

Next time i'l try and make a zip... Sorry about clogging up the forum... :?

Also, someones gotta get rid of the line at the edge of the Flesh Hound sprite, i removed it in mine, but its not fixed in the main.
Attachments
Shadow Master's old work, before he started messing with their faces and stuff. Posted so people will notice it.
Shadow Master's old work, before he started messing with their faces and stuff. Posted so people will notice it.
demonologist.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
Edited from Shadow Master's work, his had the face showing, i think it looks cooler without.
Edited from Shadow Master's work, his had the face showing, i think it looks cooler without.
magus.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Elerias

Post by Elerias »

IMO old Invader>new Invader. The new one is too tall and slim for me. When u think off the armor he is prolly some 20cm in diameter of his chest wich is making him look fragile. Also the new head feels like grey ape head with horns. Neoskels edits for just TCing seem perfect. Chaos rocks as a faction and the art is so good it should be preserved as much as possible during the TCing. Thats just my thoughts.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Well, the problem is that, since these sprites were made, people got taller: the Invader is 37 px tall, whereas the Loyalist Spearman is 41. This means that the Chaos look sort of... short.

Now, this doesn't mean they need to be completely redrawn, but a bit of tweaking to make them the right height would be good.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl