Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: Minotaur Faction Art

Post by Espreon »

Its very nice Quietus! But some suggestions why not have the crystal in the staff to be glowing a pinkish-purplish color? Because in my coding the Minotaur Shaman line uses aura magic.
Also maybe have his whole body give off a pinkish-purplish aura!

Oh and BTW for the Mystic when you start doing frames, specifically the melee frames still have him float while striking his victims with his staff as in my coding the Mystic gives up the quest for stronger magic for the ability to levitate and for a more stable body and physical adeptness (meaning he strikes with his staff three times with 10 damage per stroke and strikes his victims with his aura blast 4 times rather than 3, think of the Mystic as the Lancer of the Shaman line)

And horror b4 bed? If you are going to do that grab TLOZ OOT and play through the whole Shadow Temple b4 bed, at midnight, I for one cannot simply do that!
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Espreon wrote:Its very nice Quietus! But some suggestions why not have the crystal in the staff to be glowing a pinkish-purplish color? Because in my coding the Minotaur Shaman line uses aura magic.
Also maybe have his whole body give off a pinkish-purplish aura!
Will do, i origionally had that for the mystic, but the problem i had was the crystal wasn't TC'd. How can you make the glow TC'd along with the crystal?
Espreon wrote: Oh and BTW for the Mystic when you start doing frames, specifically the melee frames still have him float while striking his victims with his staff as in my coding the Mystic gives up the quest for stronger magic for the ability to levitate and for a more stable body and physical adeptness (meaning he strikes with his staff three times with 10 damage per stroke and strikes his victims with his aura blast 4 times rather than 3, think of the Mystic as the Lancer of the Shaman line)
Im slightly redoing the mystic, but he ill still be floating so yes he will attack floating ^^
Espreon wrote: And horror b4 bed? If you are going to do that grab TLOZ OOT and play through the whole Shadow Temple b4 bed, at midnight, I for one cannot simply do that!
Nah that temple is only scary in places, Silent Hill is scary all over :D lol
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Quietus wrote:Will do, i origionally had that for the mystic, but the problem i had was the crystal wasn't TC'd. How can you make the glow TC'd along with the crystal?
With great difficulty. I faced this issue when trying to make the Vorpal Tide units, which featured a team coloured (or so i had hoped) semi-transparent, fuzzy-edged fog holding together varicoloured crystal pieces.

Of course, this won't work as part of the base image, since anywhere the fog overlays another colour, the TC breaks. I tried to do it as halo images, but they cannot (or at that stage, could not) be dynamically team coloured. They can be recoloured, but only to specific, static colours. And they were asymmetrical. Halos will not (or would not at that stage, as per the last example) flip dynamically with the base image.

I never got around to filing a feature request to enable this - it's one which i definitely think ought to be available in the game, for the main reason that team coloured glows and magic effects would be awesome. You many have to file a feature request and wait for it to be changed before you can get this to work...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

thespaceinvader wrote:
Quietus wrote:Will do, i origionally had that for the mystic, but the problem i had was the crystal wasn't TC'd. How can you make the glow TC'd along with the crystal?
With great difficulty. I faced this issue when trying to make the Vorpal Tide units, which featured a team coloured (or so i had hoped) semi-transparent, fuzzy-edged fog holding together varicoloured crystal pieces.

Of course, this won't work as part of the base image, since anywhere the fog overlays another colour, the TC breaks. I tried to do it as halo images, but they cannot (or at that stage, could not) be dynamically team coloured. They can be recoloured, but only to specific, static colours. And they were asymmetrical. Halos will not (or would not at that stage, as per the last example) flip dynamically with the base image.

I never got around to filing a feature request to enable this - it's one which i definitely think ought to be available in the game, for the main reason that team coloured glows and magic effects would be awesome. You many have to file a feature request and wait for it to be changed before you can get this to work...
Hmm i was just wondering, because didnt megane do the same thing with the crystals in the windsong faction? Either way ive edited the elder to make him more majestic, so more TC little longer cloak and gold curling round his staff. Also fixed his staff end which i didnt like lol
Attachments
edited
edited
elder.png (4.62 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It's certainly possible to do semi-transparent fuzzy edged TC. The trouble comes when you try to overlay that over...anything, really.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Is this what you're looking for?
Attachments
elder.png
elder.png (4.39 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

megane wrote:Is this what you're looking for?
nice work megane :D , is there anyway you could make it look slightly more subtle? i.e. so its like an ambient glow rather than a distinct flame?
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Quietus wrote:nice work megane :D , is there anyway you could make it look slightly more subtle? i.e. so its like an ambient glow rather than a distinct flame?
Attachments
elder.png
elder.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ah thankyou very much :)
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

I think the flame-like glow is better... We could have made a standing animation with the flame-like glow...
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Why not have the flaming one as the first frame of the magic attack? Obviously i'll get round to making the others later
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Quietus wrote:Why not have the flaming one as the first frame of the magic attack? Obviously i'll get round to making the others later
Yeah! And as the Elder is preparing the attack further the flame could continue to rage on and grow!
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ok re-did the mystic, and i'm finally happy with it :eng: and its only taken about 6 attempts lol

At Espreon's request, he is still floating, i actually like how he turned out. Below is the origional and then the new version.
Attachments
New
New
mystic.png (5.01 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
comparison
comparison
magedifference.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

It looks nice Quietus, it would be nice if the crystal ball and/or staff crystal gave off a glow...
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Espreon wrote:It looks nice Quietus, it would be nice if the crystal ball and/or staff crystal gave off a glow...

With a little editing that can be done =D

Though im not great with this
Attachments
with flame
with flame
mystic.png (5.17 KiB) Viewed 3080 times