Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Espreon wrote:
Quietus wrote: Well yes and no. Lim_Arcadia has done the cfg.s (to my knowlege) though he said they bwould be out on the add-on server over a week ago. Unfotunately we havnt heard from lim in 2 weeks, so im not sure what is happening.
Maybe I could code them?
Upto you. I would be very grateful if you did :D. Like i said Lim did do them, but we havnt heard from him in a few weeks, and i really do need them to beavaliable for playtesting.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Quietus wrote: Upto you. I would be very grateful if you did :D. Like i said Lim did do them, but we havnt heard from him in a few weeks, and i really do need them to beavaliable for playtesting.
Could you post the sprites and a diagram or text file describing the advancement trees?

Also do you have a story for the Minotaurs so I could do the flavor text, in addition could you explain the Minotaur's strenghts and weaknesses? Do you intend the Minotaurs to have a lot of HP and moderate - high strenght attacks or low HP but extremely high defense (like the Ghost line). Also could you possibly explain what attacks each unit has?

Sorry if I am asking too much but I am just coding things and I need to know what to code in...

Also are any animation frames done yet?
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Espreon wrote:
Quietus wrote: Upto you. I would be very grateful if you did :D. Like i said Lim did do them, but we havnt heard from him in a few weeks, and i really do need them to beavaliable for playtesting.
Could you post the sprites and a diagram or text file describing the advancement trees?

Also do you have a story for the Minotaurs so I could do the flavor text, in addition could you explain the Minotaur's strenghts and weaknesses? Do you intend the Minotaurs to have a lot of HP and moderate - high strenght attacks or low HP but extremely high defense (like the Ghost line). Also could you possibly explain what attacks each unit has?

Sorry if I am asking too much but I am just coding things and I need to know what to code in...

Also are any animation frames done yet?
Ok rather than me clogging up forums with it all, ill make a zip with all you've requested and post it in the faction and era thread 8)

Thanks again btw
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Quietus wrote:
Ok rather than me clogging up forums with it all, ill make a zip with all you've requested and post it in the faction and era thread 8)

Thanks again btw
Actually thats what I wanted...
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ok im curently working on the chieftain sprite. but i have started to change my style of spriting, heading more towards the mainline style. This is probably due to the beserker sprite, but i do believe it looks better. I suppose this is in a way a good thing. But i need peoples opinions to see whether it loks better than the origional. Below is the savage the first is the origional style and the 2nd is the new one. Which one do you think looks better?

Cheers

oh and because the site is still playing up its going to have be photbucket again :?

Origional

New
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

the changes appear really minor. for the most part it looks better, but the shoulder on our left (his right) has lost texture and become just a shiny circle... much like the steppe orcs... that's not a good thing. Look at Eternal's sprites to see how he represents muscle on tiny pixel arms.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Sapient wrote:the changes appear really minor. for the most part it looks better, but the shoulder on our left (his right) has lost texture and become just a shiny circle... much like the steppe orcs... that's not a good thing. Look at Eternal's sprites to see how he represents muscle on tiny pixel arms.
Yeah theres very little done to the actually sprite shape itself (just a minor re-adjustment of the sword and clothing). I mearly erased the black lines that made it seem very cubic and sharp. I took shadow's advice and made it less dark. before in game they looks too out of place, now they are at least acceptable. :P

I thought he looked alot like a steppe orc as well lol. Ill get to work on the shoulder, though i plan to get all the sprites done first then go back over them and edit stuff
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Quietus, in those savage sprites I really don't see the whip...
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Espreon wrote:Quietus, in those savage sprites I really don't see the whip...
Dont worry it appears quite clearly in game. Just on a white background its slightly hard to see
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ok just thought i'd post a few updates. here are three more units edited to the new style. they do look alot better in game now :)
Attachments
anceint-behemoth.png
anceint-behemoth.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
behemoth.png
behemoth.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
gore.png
gore.png (4.02 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

It does look better.
At the moment you have a huge area of one color. The shade is good enough yet you could still add further shades to illuminate certain areas. Since you haven't areas with different colors to break the sprite up a bit. You could make for example the left side of the sprite a bit brighter. The lower body a bit darker and so one...
It's like you would move a flashlight over a statue.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Shadow wrote:It does look better.
At the moment you have a huge area of one color. The shade is good enough yet you could still add further shades to illuminate certain areas. Since you haven't areas with different colors to break the sprite up a bit. You could make for example the left side of the sprite a bit brighter. The lower body a bit darker and so one...
It's like you would move a flashlight over a statue.
Will do 8) lol, im going to get the faction finnished and playable first, then go back and edit sprites, just makes more sence to have something rather than nothing.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Re: Minotaur Faction Art

Post by Quietus »

wow its a been a while =] lol

Ok here is the elder, he's ok though he could do with something else to make him look different from the lvl 2. Any suggestions?
Attachments
the mage tree, currently re-working the mystic
the mage tree, currently re-working the mystic
mage tree.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
elder
elder
elder.png (4.11 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
cretin

Post by cretin »

hmmm maybe changing the color of his, whatever that thing sticking out behind his head is cape top (whats the word for that?)
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

cretin wrote:hmmm maybe changing the color of his, whatever that thing sticking out behind his head is cape top (whats the word for that?)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... 1/cape.png

Though mine is a little different from that.

Righties im off to play some Silent Hill 8) nothing like a bit of horror before bed.