Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

and he is wearing lipstick! i don't think that this is adequate for a veteran
"Dont' ask, don't tell," as they say... (just kidding).
I knew it didn't look right but didn't quite know how to deal with it aside from just making the lips paler and smaller (and then they disappeared). Thanks for the advice.

As for the regular: I saw him being yelled at by the veteran when I drew him, but to always look like that is probably not right. I'll try to make him look more like your right-hand version, though a little less introspective/thoughtful.

Here's a familiar face (hawkeye, level 2 archer). The flame violates the idea of a neutral stance, but it may be worth it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just for the sake of completeness, I put the level 2 healer (who had not been posted here) on the left.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The flame looks like it's been pasted on there.

Things that might help:
-make the fire more transparent
-add some more glow
-make sure you can see the thing that's actually burning
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

Cool version of kitty's art! :)
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, Mameluke.

AI: I'll work on the flame like you suggest. The head was OK at least?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Here are revised attempts. Something seems to be wrong with the website or my browser, so I don't know if they are making it through.

Veteran - Just trying to make sure I understand the issue with the arm and neck not being connected. Moved shoulder pad forward, expand bicep to his left, and is the problem with his neck that it is pinched on his right side? The eyes and skinny arms still need work, but Kitty's version makes it clear what to do.

Hawkeye - Improved (I hope) flame and glow.

Regular - New face. Eyes and hair are still cartoons, but the rest of the face is a real attempt.

Thanks for looking over these.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Here is an updated regular, still in progress.

Just for a change, here is also the campaign's lead villain. His sprite is a demonologist, but I wasn't trying to follow that too closely (demonologist sprite could change for all I know). He's supposed to be able to gather human followers so he shouldn't just look like a crazy old man. But he's also trying to destroy the world and is an advance-man for the daemons, so he should look evil and a little insane. If I could, I'd give him Rasputin-like eyes, but I don't seem capable. So he gets glowing eyes.

------------------------------------
EDIT: Updated the villain image. He clearly needs a better symbol on his belt, but I need to think on that.

Updated the regular as well.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

There was a point raised over in the restricted forum concerning story/inter-scenario visuals: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20064
Basically, there should be a default image, you don't need to make a new picture for each frame (like what is done in the intro to HttT.) Here is my attempt at such a picture for this campaign. It is bland enough that it is appropriate for all occasions. If necessary, little images can be overlays on the snow.

Here is the start of the alternate veteran. I don't like it as much, so the first one will be the lead character. This one is probably salvageable though.

And as long as I'm posting, here are the level 1 archer and the outlines of the level 2 fighter (the torch is just a place holder). Not very far along, but maybe you can already see flaws.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Re-try of the Alternate Veteran. At least he is not getting his face smashed anymore.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

And here is the villain's sprite. No point in doing animations if the base frame is no good, and something is a little off.

It's not a frankenstein, though I did trace over the demonologist's mid-section, so the left arm and staff may look familiar.
------------------------------------
EDIT: I'm linking the portrait that goes with this guy. It's just a couple of posts up, but I don't know how obvious it is what this is supposed to be.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The animated version of the villain. Sequence is: defend; range attack (reaches accross w/ his right arm); melee attack. The melee attack needs to be redone, but the general idea is that he hits the opponent with the bottom of the staff, striking up and forward.

Of course, there could be more frames, but this .gif is in slow motion and the frames are all the same time-length. Also, it is a .gif, some stray or missing pixels are not as obvious in the .png. It looks a little better in game.

Any critiques welcome, especially of the range attack because I consider that one about done.

Thanks.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

you havn't got any replys for quite a while :( .
i think you really deserve some, because your stuff is looking better all the time! :D

tundra:
- nice atmosphere!
- add a little detail to the snow - it looks boring. a few withered blades of grass, foot prints or snow banks...
- the sky colour looks odd to me. too much magenta in there. how about some clouds to add some visual interest? or a lonley bird?

all portraits:
- i like your slightly cartoony style! you convey alot of personality with just a few lines! that's great!
- look at your own eyes. one can generally say that you won't see as much white as you show on all your portraits. now white under and obove the iris (exeption: extreme shock). the pupils and irides are way too small.

scarrion:
i'm sorry, but i do not like him at all. the colour choice looks random. the staff with the eye is extremly cheesy. and his eyes don't glow at all (yellow is no good coulour for a glow effect in the face - too near to skin colour - try red, green or white...). i also heavily recommend to get a reference for his body (shoulders, arms, hand...).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

- i like your slightly cartoony style!
I'm glad to hear, because it's what I'm stuck with...
I'll redo the eyes.
scarrion:
i'm sorry, but i do not like him at all...
Oh no! I hope he's not beyond repair, I've put too much time into the sprite to want to start over. I can change the eyes and staff easily. Color choice was not entirely random, I wanted to avoid hot red flame colors.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to incorporate your suggestions.

Speaking of Scarrion: Here is his melee animation.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Tundra with an improved sky. Alternative veteran with bigger pupils (armor is no good, ignore that part).

On the issue of Scarrion's eyes: Maybe "glowing" was a bad word to use. Possibly "unnatural" or "supernatural" would be better. White makes him look dead, red reminds me of something like Voltron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltron). Halos around the eyes, like the Malifor lich portrait in Northern Rebirth has (or had, I don't have the latest version), look like glasses and I don't like them. Green is OK, but doesn't show up well on the sprite. I see the point about yellow being too close to skin color, but I still like it the best.

-------
EDIT: deleted the outdated unit tree.
Last edited by doofus-01 on March 8th, 2008, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sprite for the level 1 fighter ("regular"). The armor isn't flat black this time, should have more blue. I ran out of steam by the last attack frame, so it needs work. However, the idea is there. Here's the portrait, linked from up above:

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Sprite: level 1 fighter (Art for campaign Bad Moon Rising)

Post by doofus-01 »

Updating the tree & removing the previous one (was almost 700 kb) , making slow progress replacing the frankenstein sprites.

New sprites are "veteran", "runner", and "courrier" (misspelled, but it's a dumb name anyway. I'll correct it with a new name at some point.)