Wesnoth at FOSDEM 2008

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth at FOSDEM 2008

Post by ivanovic »

Looks like many Wesnoth devs have made it over to FOSDEM. This far we have been talking about further developments that are planned for post 1.4 and we tried to tackle some problems, too. So far there are not many "code results" (beside the improvement for memory usage when compiling with --enable-lowmem since now there are not animations at all left when you do use this option). So the first day at FOSDEM was already really nice...

To show that we really were there we created some (fake) photo in gimp including some random name tags...
Attachments
Group image from the first day at FOSDEM 2008
Group image from the first day at FOSDEM 2008
wesnoth-fosdem-2008-day1.jpg (572.65 KiB) Viewed 5190 times
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Since I forgot to mention it in the initial post:

Yesterday afternoon Dave gave a talk about developing Wesnoth. The slides are available already on our very own website*. Eventually a video of the talk will be available, it was caputed by the people from FOSDEM and they are going to post it on their site later on. Once I see that it is available, I will post it in this thread. But I assume that it will take several days until it is available for download.

(*) Wesnoth talk FOSDEM 2008 (pdf, 2.2 MB)
Wesnoth talk FOSDEM 2008 (odf, 5.6 MB)
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

lol, latin and esperanto translations? i never noticed those :D
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Syntax_Error wrote:lol, latin and esperanto translations? i never noticed those :D
I started playing Wesnoth because of the Esperanto translation :P
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

The award for Coolest Coat goes to Pietro.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

ivanovic wrote:Eventually a video of the talk will be available, it was caputed by the people from FOSDEM and they are going to post it on their site later on.
The video is now available:

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/fosdem-vid ... esnoth.ogg (corrected; 297 MB, Theora video)
Last edited by ivanovic on March 1st, 2008, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDR

Post by DDR »

The requested URL /mirrors/fosdem-video/2008/FOSDEM2008-wesnoth.ogg was not found on this server.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

It's now at http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/fosdem-vid ... esnoth.ogg (also going to correct the URL in Ivanovic's post)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
bert1

Post by bert1 »

Nice to get an overview of the whole project from the horse's mouth, there. I didn't understand most of the technical stuff but it was interesting nevertheless. Dave even got a couple of laughs! Fantastic!
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
DDR

waaaaa!

Post by DDR »

I downloaded the file, as it would not play in my browser, and I still cannot get it to play... What should I open it with? :?
hiro hito

Re: waaaaa!

Post by hiro hito »

DDR wrote:I downloaded the file, as it would not play in my browser, and I still cannot get it to play... What should I open it with? :?
try VLC multiplayer....
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
DDR

Post by DDR »

Got it working. Thanks. :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? My download keeps breaking off. I get everything up to the part where Dave says "developed by a large community", then it stops.

I suspect it's something with my connection... I'll try again when I'm at home.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
DDR

Post by DDR »

OK, I broke off at ~30 min...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dave wrote:It's now at http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/fosdem-vid ... esnoth.ogg (also going to correct the URL in Ivanovic's post)
On the Ogg Theora codec? Me wants! :)

EDIT: Works fine with a default installation of openSUSE 10.3 x86_64 + Firefox; no need for other packages. I preferred to get the whole video instead of seeing it streamed in a firefox tab, tho, so I used wget -c to get it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.