Rise of Empires Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Tell me if i'm mistaken but wouldn't extreme speed have more strikes and less damage then vice versa??
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

No extremespeed is an attack that is so fast that the opponent has no react unless they have a similar level of speed. It is only a single attack (or a couple for the blademaster) because the attacks are preformed quickly and then the attacker disengages from combat before the opponent has a chance to react.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Sorry it still doesn't make sense to me.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Ok... It's like this... He jumps in makes a couple lighting fast slashes and then escapes before the opponent can even respond. If he stayed around enough time to do more attacks then the opponent would have time to counterattack and it would be just like a regular melee attack.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

But that only makes sense if he kills the guy on the first hit.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Why? He's so fast that he can escape while the opponent is still stunned from getting hit.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

What if the he doesn't hit the guy on the first strike...Are you saying that the guy cant attack back??
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

that's exactly what he means, it's essentially a new range, neither melee nor ranged.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

I'm currently looking for anyone who might be willing to help out by doing terrain graphics or would like to make sprites for rise of empires... =]
Sardaykar

Post by Sardaykar »

I`m about Imperial units again...

I understood your idea, and I think that it is good. But I want to propose another system.
For example, this is the levels of default unit:

(lvl_1) - (lvl_2) - (lvl_3)

But when Emperial Age is riched a large amount of units become useless at all. So I propose the next system:

(DU_1) --- (DU_2) --- (DU_3)
. . \ . . . . . . . \ . . . . . . . \
(EU_1) --- (EU_1) --- (EU_1)

DU = default unit
EU = Emperial Unit

And I ask you to make them less monsterous!
becuse even riflemen will lose against 2 bowman, and your units can slay the default units in any quantities! If you want that in EE players will use only emperial units - you havent multiply their power in 4-6 times (and now they have superiority like that), it will be enough to multiply it in 1.25 - 1.5 times

Default Wesnoth is balanced in all aspects, but unfotunatly i cant say the same about your units :( . For example, there are some problems:
- units have too big atack damage - the battle would be look like mincing-machine :(
- i think that it will be really hard to get XP in Emperial Era - because it is very small chanse that anybody will survive after kill
- the restoring HP will take to much time - you have increased HP, but restoration level is the same - +10 per turn

all these factors will destroy the value of single units

Think about it, please. If this doesnt have importance for you, i will become silent. And If it have, I am sure that we can realise all your ideas and dont lose the good features of original Wesnoth.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

I disagree with the 4-6 times it's closer to 1-2 times and the solarii imperial units are too tough. I believe you may have a point about the attack being too high at least in relation to their hp but there are some things you need to take into account about RoE.

1. Yes healing may take a long time but that is what you have temples for. For 4 mana you can instantly heal any unit to full health. And that is one of the reasons why I wanted to decrease the survivability of units because if units can survive a long time and with the insta-heal with temples a map could quickly stalemate because of too many units and the map would get clogged with units like ANL used to.

2. Yes the stats are alot higher but you also need to consider that units can be upgraded both hp and attack and the upgrade is linear so percentage wise it gives alot more to default units closing the gap.

3. Have you actually tried? Have you played with them? I've played one 1v1 where I got imperial and the other guy had so much gold he was spamming default units literally he left no space unnoccupied. If imperial units couldn't cut through that the game would stalemate both sides having an endless line of units. However I also played a game where I got imperial but two ppl were ganging up on me and I was losing 2v1 even with imperial units. Partially because my units cost so much. I don't think the balance is anywhere near as bad as you think it is or as bad as it looks at first glance.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

As for graphics right now I'm looking for someone who can make an elvish forest village for me. And a capital village (for all empires) would be awesome the sprite I'm currently using for the capital is the underground village which is rather unimpressive and unintuitive.
Sardaykar

Post by Sardaykar »

hm, you have convince me. And I want to apologize, because i didnt play it indeed, becuase i had problems with my computer and couldnt use it for 2 weeks. I made my opinion only from your words.

I dont have what to say now. I only want to try the Era myself. :)

And I will try to make the image for the capital village.
Do you really think that one image will be suitable for all races?
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Well it would probably be nice to have different ones at least for the elves and undead which I want to make very different from the other races but one would be great for now... =]
Dante_Mephisto

Elvish Farming + capital city

Post by Dante_Mephisto »

Hey Sarudak! It's Dante here (despite what the username says). It's been a busy couple of weeks, but I'll still be around from time to time. I've been mulling over a couple of things:

I miss having the elves farm forest terrain.
I've been browsing the RoE files to figure out if it would be possible to incorporate forest farming with the current farming system (which I rather enjoy for Loyalists, Drakes, and Outlaws).
As farming stands right now, all factions build yurts on grassland tiles, and terrain around the yurts changes to farmed-grassland.

I'd like to test a change in which elves use elvish castles as farms and forest terrain as farming terrain... elvish citizens build elvish castle on forest tiles, and then the terrain around the castle tile changes to forest terrain. I'm hoping this would increase the uniqueness of the elvish faction, offset the early defensive advantage of the strong elvish villager, and increase the aesthetics of the elvish civ.

This change boosts initial elvish defenses, as more forests provide a ton of beneficial terrain. EDIT: in testing the idea, I realized that if elves could upgrade their palisades to elvish castle, forests would spawn adjacent to the main fort... I kind of like the idea, it's like having a moat, except not =P
This change greatly increases elvish civ's aesthetics. The elves just don't look like elves right now!

- using castle tiles instead of village tiles means elves would have a hard time healing units when on a prolonged defensive.
This is a major dent to the elvish economy early on. In beta-testing against other civs, the fact the the other civs had 4-5 more villages added up to a 40-50 gold difference between the two teams in only the first couple turns.

I hope the benefits and costs equal out... if need be the costs of building elvish estates could be tweaked to balance it out.

As best I can make out as a non-coder, farming is implemented through two files. I'm using Notepad, so my view may be different ...

EDIT: this part was blablablablabla, it didn't work. WML is mildly difficult to figure out, as I haven't any experience coding =P

Secondly, I'd be more than happy to develop a new terrain image for the capital city, I've got a little skill with photoshop and illustrator. Which terrain tile is the most similar to what you have in mind? It'd be *much* easier to make sure it fit the current look of villages if I progressively modified an existing terrain, rather than starting from scratch.

Thirdly, some of the RoE maps have not been updated to incorporate a starting capital city... I'll be editing to add which ones later tonight.

Thanks for the era Sarudak! Catch you later.
Last edited by Dante_Mephisto on February 28th, 2008, 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.