[Historical] Legend of Wesmere (add-on version)

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Thanks for the report-I am worried though that some important border edges may be inaccessible. I'll check(playtesting was on 1.3.12)
Pookie Pitviper

problem at Ancient Alliance + a few other random things

Post by Pookie Pitviper »

Hi. I'm enjoying this campaign a lot so far. And thank you for posting the corrected map (Kal11) for "Battle of the Book!"

Alas, I've just run into an error that has stopped me dead in my tracks (I'm using Wesnoth 1.3.12 on MacOS X):

"The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Invalid starting position (-999,-999) for a unit on side 1."

I was startled because I've never gotten this particular error in mid-game, although it has appeared at the start of certain campaigns (usually a problem with version compatability, IIRC). The error occurs when I try to load a saved game from "Ancient Alliance," so I took a look at the savefile. As it turned out, every single one of my units (regardless of whether I had recruited/recalled them in this scenario or not) had the following code:

goto_x="-999"
goto_y="-999"

(in the expected (alphabetical) spot in the unit description, nestled between gender and hitpoints). I'm pretty clueless when it comes to WML. Indeed, I've been looking at the files as I play the campaign in hopes of getting a bit of a feel for it (although I'm finding this generates more questions than answers). That said, I can't for the life of me figure out what this is doing there, or what its effect is supposed to be.

Another (minor) problem in this scenario: when the new Elves appeared on turn 2, all of them were nameless except for Kutrubekis (err, have I got that right? you know who I mean, the leader, the Elvish Hero). I vaguely recall that this may have happened a while back with Olurf as well. I think there's a missing line in the unit descriptions, though I'm not sure what it is. (Like I said: clueless.)

Finally: was I supposed to lose a bunch of my best units after "Elves' Last Stand?" Because a bunch of them disappeared from the recall list, including, I was disappointed to note, Anduilas. Bug, or feature?

Pookie

P.S. "scenaria?" (warning: you have run afoul of a linguistic hobbyist.)
whiplash

Post by whiplash »

santi wrote:Thanks for the report-I am worried though that some important border edges may be inaccessible. I'll check(playtesting was on 1.3.12)
I suppose the following error,at the very beginning of
the "The King must die" scenario could depend on that:
"load_game_failed: Invalid starting position (3,12) for the leader of
side 7."

Regards.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Hi Pookie,
yes, the 1.3 version was posted initially without a full playtest.
This is fixed in the latest version(posted yesterday). The problem is that
the naming of scenaria and maps has changed. So what I can do is
either:
-ask you to play the new version
-send you corrected scenaria and map files for Ancient Alliance

With the second solution you are pretty much set, I hope,
though the campaign will no longer be playable when you upgrade
With the first, your savegames will need to be tweaked(you must start at the last round of Battle of the Book to get the system to grab the right values)
, by changing the names

At the end of Last Stand, you lose all your level 3 units. This is deliberate:
storywise they stay to protect the Kalian in case the orcs return and gamewise because otherwise the elves are too powerful for the trip to Thoria.
At the risk of spoiling things, they(including Andulias) WILL join you in Ancient Alliance(else you probably would stand no chance-at least on hard).

As for the rest of the problems you mention, they were bugs, mostly created by
the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3. They have all been fixed in the new versions. Let me know your choice. Then, if you want a version compatible with your saves, I can attach map and scenario files here. Just let me know
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

whiplash,
yes, that should be the problem. I'll work out a fix for 1.3.14
Sly

Post by Sly »

santi wrote:At the end of Last Stand, you lose all your level 3 units. This is deliberate
If I remember correctly I kept my lvl4 sorceresses, maybe it was a bug :P
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

No, it's not a bug-it's intentional. Shydes and sorceress/sylphs are not considered warriors by the elves, even though they are extremely powerful and useful in most f not all subsequent scenaria.
Sly

Post by Sly »

santi wrote:No, it's not a bug-it's intentional. Shydes and sorceress/sylphs are not considered warriors by the elves, even though they are extremely powerful and useful in most f not all subsequent scenaria.
lol ok ;)

But my 6 or 7 Shydes kicked everybody'ass therafter :lol:
tillea

Post by tillea »

santi wrote:Thanks for the report-I am worried though that some important border edges may be inaccessible. I'll check(playtesting was on 1.3.12)
I can commit that starting the campaign (version 1.4.1 uploaded on 2008 Jan 20) under wesnoth 1.3.14 produces the following error:

Code: Select all

An error due to possible invalid WML occured
The error message is:
'border_size' should be '1' when 'usage = map'

When reporting the bug please include the following error message:
Condition 'border_size_ == 1' failed at map.cpp:361 in fucnction 'read'.
BTW, is there any chance that this campaign might be included in official Wesnoth distribution?

Kind regards

Andreas.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Until I post the revised version(which would include translation updates as well as possible balancing changes),
I am attaching a fix: Just get rid of the maps subdirectory and replace it by the attached file maps.zip (after unzipping it, of course).
I am also attaching the conversion perl script that seems to have fixed the
border problem. Please let me know of how it goes-I only checked that the 1st scenario map loads now

Regarding whether this will be official, I have no idea. Objectively I think
it is definitely ok on all counts of the official policy, except the "unless we don't like it" clause.
On the other hand, if it were to be included, one might think it would have been included by now, as it has been around and stable for a long time
, but the criteria used do not necessarily agree with mine or most users(examples are the drop of Valley of Statues and Mountain Pass in HttT,
which was only reinstated when the question was put to the users).
Mythological has stated that the best campaigns will be mainlined, but
things like Two brothers and TSG got mainlined long before IMHO much better campaigns, like Liberty , while Delfador's Memoirs and The Unstoppable Legion arestill not mainline(the latter does not take place in Wesnoth and both are incomplete, but so what? HttT was very incomplete when the whole project started). If you like to include this or another campaign, you may start a thread or a poll
-just this is not the place to discuss this. From my point of view the important thing is that the campaign is available and will be supported
as long as I have time for it, or until someone else with more time and energy takes it over.
Attachments
maps.zip
(17.38 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
map-converter.zip
(694 Bytes) Downloaded 178 times
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Just to be clear: You do NOT need the conversion script. Only the maps.zip
tillea

Post by tillea »

santi wrote:I am attaching a fix: Just get rid of the maps subdirectory and replace it by the attached file maps.zip (after unzipping it, of course).
The fix works - at least I can now load the first scenario. I doubt that I will make it through all scenarios very soon. ;-)
santi wrote: Please let me know of how it goes-I only checked that the 1st scenario map loads now
I'd vote for an upload containing this fix.
santi wrote: Regarding whether this will be official, I have no idea. Objectively I think
it is definitely ok on all counts of the official policy, except the "unless we don't like it" clause.
On the other hand, if it were to be included, one might think it would have been included by now, as it has been around and stable for a long time
, but the criteria used do not necessarily agree with mine or most users(examples are the drop of Valley of Statues and Mountain Pass in HttT,
which was only reinstated when the question was put to the users).
Mythological has stated that the best campaigns will be mainlined, but
things like Two brothers and TSG got mainlined long before IMHO much better campaigns, like Liberty , while Delfador's Memoirs
I'd efinitely vote for mainlining Delfador's Memoirs as well. It's quite worth it enhances the global story, shows interesting features and was well playable (at least when I tried it over one year ago). Unfortunately it is not ported yet. I think I dropped a note in the campaign thread about this.
santi wrote: and The Unstoppable Legion arestill not mainline(the latter does not take place in Wesnoth and both are incomplete, but so what?
Well, IMHO the problem is not the incomplete story but the usage of extended era units. This seems to be a definte show stopper. Regarding all other aspects it would be really worth to be included in mainline.
santi wrote: HttT was very incomplete when the whole project started). If you like to include this or another campaign, you may start a thread or a poll
-just this is not the place to discuss this. From my point of view the important thing is that the campaign is available and will be supported
as long as I have time for it, or until someone else with more time and energy takes it over.
Well, I really don't know where the right place to ask about this and Delfador's Memoirs would be. Any hint?

Kind regards and thanks for fixing the campaign

Andreas.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Thanks, I'll try to upload over the weekend(I have a slow connection, so uploading is an adventure).
You can start a thread in the User's forum for example http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
discussing any issue you like. Good luck
tobimaro

Post by tobimaro »

Hi... I downloaded the campaign a few hours ago... I use the 1.2.8 version of wesnoth.
My problem is that the game doesn't charges the first map, so I never could start the campaign...
I'm sorry, I feel like a moron, but I read ALL the topic without being able to find an answer... can anybody tell me what to do?
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Hi,
you don't need to read all the thread. The thread is the history of the campaign.
So first, I suggest you upgrade to 1.3.14, since this will be the future, 1.2 is way too old.
Second, you should NOT try to use the new maps or the new campaign with the old server-they are incompatible. As far as I remember the 1.2 campaign was working fine,
but maybe something has changed in 1.2.8 that has broken it.
I remember there were lot of changes for 1.2 to 1.3.

Now, if
-you want to use 1.3.14, either take the campaign as it is and replace the maps directory
or wait a few days so I post the new version 1.4.4 with new translations and graphics
-you wish to use 1.2.8, then start wesnoth from a command prompt, i.e.
>wesnoth
(are you using linux or windows?) and tell me exactly what the error message says
and what the directory structure is
(/home/yourusername/.wesnoth/data/campaigns in linux
or c:\program files\userdata\data\campaigns in windows)
Tell me how it goes
Good luck and have fun,
Santi