Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Additional level 0s

Post by Ken_Oh »

I made a few level 0 sprites to give mainline level 1s something to advance from and to simply have non-combat, civilian NPCs for RPGs.

You'll notice how I have most weapons at their belt rather than out at the ready, since I think level 0 units haven't yet been thrust into the world of violence, it wouldn't make sense for a civilian to walk around town brandishing a live blade.

Any comments are welcome, but here is where I think I need to go:
-want to make Brute a little beefier somehow.
-I like the direction of the Noble's hat, but it needs work and I'm not sure exactly what to do. Or maybe the hat is fine and his hair needs work.
-I'm wondering what is the best way to do the Initiate. Putting a hood on seemed too top-heavy and giving torso-leg robes would just make him look like a mage. Instead, I just lengthened the hair, cut out the scruff and gave him darker clothes.

Attachments
lvl0 pngs.zip
(57.28 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
Last edited by Ken_Oh on January 25th, 2008, 7:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

I think they are really nice.
could you improve on the hats?
maybe make some women peasants with little linen hats?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

No women peasants. Why, you may ask... Because the units they level into do not have female alternates, and gender-shifting on levelling is not really good...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
toms

Post by toms »

This is IMO a good idea, but they are all just edits :? (though good ones)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Right, the way I have it set up, the only lvl 0 that has lvl 1 female genders is the Initiate.

I would like to, eventually, make some female lvl 0s that either just don't level up or have their own separate lvl 1s. But, that's another endeavor completely.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

What does the civilian have on his hip? They're pretty good edits, though. It's still clear where most of the things come from, but they blend together very well.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looks like the money purse from the thief's idle animation. I initially thought it was medieval style big puffy trousers...
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

No women peasants. Why, you may ask... Because the units they level into do not have female alternates, and gender-shifting on levelling is not really good...
They could be disguised as guys... a Joan of Arc type story where women peasants fight on and enlist in the army disguised as guys... I'm probably going astray a little here.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

The frankensteined sprites are a bit crude, but I like the overall idea. Now the only question is whether additional lvl 0 units would affect the balance of the game (it probably wouldn't).
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Federalist marshal wrote:The frankensteined sprites are a bit crude, but I like the overall idea. Now the only question is whether additional lvl 0 units would affect the balance of the game (it probably wouldn't).
Can you recruit the peasant or woodsman in loyalists or the woodsman or ruffian in knaglans? Nope. Then it won't affect balance.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Even if it did, as with any suggestion, this is probably more destined for UMC than mainline (although with the string freeze for 1.4 and change to a new dev version upcoming, that might change...).
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Aethaeryn wrote:
Federalist marshal wrote:The frankensteined sprites are a bit crude, but I like the overall idea. Now the only question is whether additional lvl 0 units would affect the balance of the game (it probably wouldn't).
Can you recruit the peasant or woodsman in loyalists or the woodsman or ruffian in knaglans? Nope. Then it won't affect balance.
My point exactly. But they really would only have use in UMCs, which I would find annoying, as I could really use the proposed nobleman and squire.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

yo, Ken...mind if I clean up/edit a few of these Frankensteins?

for example:Image?

this fixes his wonky left arm, and connects his head to his shoulders better...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Thrawn: Yes, do what you will.

Please and thank you.

Re: Addition to mainline/UMCs: I'm making these guys because I want to use them in at least 2 of my projects. That's all I'm concerned about.

However, if anyone else wants to use them, I hope they will feel free to (Fed Marshal - please take what you like here). On the opposite side, I hope anyone that has any sprites to contribute will also do that.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

However, if anyone else wants to use them, I hope they will feel free to (Fed Marshal - please take what you like here).
A very good idea! I'm gonna have to learn WML to do that, though...