Please help in updating the wiki

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Please help in updating the wiki

Post by zookeeper »

Since 1.4 will be coming out in the coming months, the old 1.2 will become largely obsolete. However, a great deal of the information in our wiki is still based on 1.2 (or older!).

Therefore, we'd like to request people to update the wiki to correspond with the current development releases. Mainly this means updating existing campaign walkthroughs, since a lot of campaign scenarios have changed since 1.2. There's no need to add remarks explaining the differences between 1.2 and 1.3/1.4 regarding any piece of information, instead you can just update it so that it corresponds to how things are in 1.3/1.4.

If you want to help and don't know where to start, just go to the Play or Create pages and follow some links (or check out the StartingPoints page). There's no list of pages that need updating, but instead this is more like a request for you to update anything 1.2-specific you happen to stumble upon in the wiki that you know doesn't apply to 1.3/1.4.

A few examples of general changes besides changes to campaigns that probably appear in the old form in several places:
- the holy -> arcane change
- changes to the standard AMLA

Note: there is no need to update anything in the WML reference, that will be handled separately later. However, do feel free to update the campaign/scenario/era/unit -building tutorial pages, if any.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I'll do what I can. :)

Edit: I'm reviewing the "Play a Game" part of the Improved Manual.

Edit: Now reviewing the "Finding your way...". I had to open the tutorial for myself. "OMG, da Quintain smacked me back! (Li'sar)"

Ivanovic: I'm checking it out.
Last edited by anakayub on January 17th, 2008, 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Take a breath.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

I'll do what I can too, I have noticed such discrepancies in multiple places, and this will sure help new players.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

anakayub wrote: Edit: I'm reviewing the "Play a Game" part of the Improved Manual.
Uhm, no idea if we really should keep that one, since the new manual already is based on that one. So better list improvements/fixes on the respective page at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothManual (there is a subpage for suggested improvements). It might be better to simply wipe clean the "old" improved manual...
db0

Template & Category

Post by db0 »

I think we can use the wiki tools to make this job a bit easier.

I've creared a template and a category for this reason.

You can use the template {{Needs update}} to mark pages that are obsolete. This inserts a piece of text that informs readers that this pages is obsolete (Feel free to edit the template to make it look better if you wish)

You can check the articles in category Obsolete to see which articles have been marked as such, if you are looking to help

Since it was mentioned here, I've marked the improved Manual as such as an example

I would like the template to be like the wikipedia templates (example), but I didn't have enough time to work on it
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

Someone should redo Eastern Invasion...it is like 3 years old!

I would help but I am not good at those.

I'll help with the multiplayer Khalgan strategies...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

The PlayingUndead is kind of difficult to redo now that ghosts no longer do cold damage and their resistances have changed so much. Oh well, I suppose I'll make the best of it, and check up on the unit stats so I don't make a big mistake.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Darth Jordius wrote:The PlayingUndead is kind of difficult to redo now that ghosts no longer do cold damage and their resistances have changed so much. Oh well, I suppose I'll make the best of it, and check up on the unit stats so I don't make a big mistake.
That article wasn't even in date for 1.2.x. Skeleton archers good vs orcish archers? Walking corpses costing 6g? Walls of WCs/vampire bats being a good tactic?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

As the multiplayer strategies were copied straight from JW's How to Play Series, I suggest that the strategies themselves be left alone unless obvious (e.g. skelli archers versus orc archers); it's pretty outdated. There's no prob in fixing the unit stats though.
Take a breath.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

anakayub wrote:As the multiplayer strategies were copied straight from JW's How to Play Series, I suggest that the strategies themselves be left alone unless obvious (e.g. skelli archers versus orc archers); it's pretty outdated. There's no prob in fixing the unit stats though.
That one wasn't How to Play. I recall a thread a few weeks ago on that exact same text being posted in quote form in a thread from another source and people commenting on its oldness, it being from a really old version (pre-1.0) when UD were overpowered. It would be a shame if someone overwrote How to Play with that ancient strategy guide.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Oh, didn't notice that. Can you provide a link in your previous post? Thanks, I never noticed it.

Edit: I've updated with current information the FPI thread on sections "Sides should be able to build buildings", "There should be different/more types of resources and types of buildings that provide them" (both present in user-made scenarios), and "Units levelling up should not get full healing" (AMLA full-healing, necrophage ability). I've also linked the Frequently Proposed Ideas in the Reporting Bugs wiki section in the section "Guidelines for proposing features".

P.S. I think we should just delete the PlayingOrcs and PlayingUndead wiki sections, as we already have the How to Play series which is more up-to-date. Then we might just update the information in the How to Play sections where appropriate. I am currently working on the Undead vs Undead section, but it'll take a while.
Take a breath.
Risek

Post by Risek »

FYI:

These pages are orphaned (nothing links to them):
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Special:Lonelypages

These pages are the pages with the oldest update dates (includes dates):
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Special:Ancientpages

For a list of other 'special pages' like these:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Special:Specialpages
DDR

Post by DDR »

On a related note, The Observer is always looking for contributers. :)
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

The wiki pages listing user made campaigns appear to be a bit ancient too.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Just so you all know, I'll be editting the How to play pages. I won't be going into faction specific advice, but I'll be doing an overview to the race, discussing the units, and then talking a bit about general strategies, and debates over the factions.

I've started the orcs, but it is slow work, as I'm trying to make it look good.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well